Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never had this problem before.On my 2002 Crv that was always maintained at the dealership by the previous owner has the smallest oil filter I've ever seen.I have to remove,I've used a belt,universal oil filter wrenches , and my hand.The thing is not budging.I unfortunately fount out about this after draining the oil from the plug.Any help or suggestions appreciated.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,655 Posts
There's always the old "drive a screwdriver into the side of the filter" trick.

Can you combine "solutions"? IE use that claw-wrench (perhaps bend the claws in tighter) and the strap wrench at the same time.

Another possibility: The jaw-type filter wrench.

PS, if you don't puncture the filter can, you can refill the oil and drive on. Honda says you only need to replace the oil filter every other time. (I replace it every time, though)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Do you mean he put the wrong filter???? what year crv is that?? maybe you should look for the socket type, there got to be one for that filter. i have one like that and never have problem, i got it from advance auto parts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Like previous post suggested, get a socket type wrench that fits over the bottom of the filter, that has provision for 3/8 ratchet extension. JMO it should work. Don't forget to take your NEW filter in order to get one that fits. Good luck.
David g.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,655 Posts
Approved oil filters can vary quite a bit in size.

From the factory, a REALLY tiny filter is fitted. And, they are SUPER-tight!

The dealer filters (Honda Part Numbers ending in A01 or A02) are bigger in diameter. Aftermarket filters vary in size, also. So, sizing a filter wrench by your replacement filter will not necessarily optimize the grip.

The picture in the second post seems to indicate that the flutes in the filter case have been rounded off, too... :(

++++++++++

Oiling the gasket on the replacement filter is what ensures easy removal the next time.

Good Luck!!!!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
This doesn't help your issue now, but I have found that the Fram Sure Grip series with the rubber ends on them are a lot easier to grip for installation and removal. Yes, I know everyone complains about Fram on here...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Don't forget to take your NEW filter in order to get one that fits. Good luck.
David g.
Yes, then you can torque the crap out of the new one and deal with this issue again next time.

Never use a wrench to tighten the new oil filter. Good and snug by hand, and you'll be able to remove it by hand come next oil change. With no leaks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Last time I tried the claw style and strap style. Resorted to the screwdriver method. Took me an hour to get it off.

I will be getting the socket next time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all the replies.My coworker's Snap on oil wrench was a able to close tight enough to get a grip.It seems like the filter was twisted in all the way by a previous person.I now use those Fram filters with the rubber grip at the bottom.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Odd that the strap style wouldn't work. Hopefully the filter wasn't cross threaded. That's what would bother me with an oil filter that tight.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I use a pair of Vise-Grip pliers to remove the oil filter. The 10" model (GV10) works great on the Honda oil filters and only runs $12 or so new from Amazon. I prefer it to buying an oil filter wrench since it's a tool that has many other uses besides removing oil filters.

http://www.amazon.com/Tools-10-Inch-GrooveLock-Pliers-2078110/dp/B000A0OW22

FYI, always hand-tighten oil filters. Don't use a tool to tighten the oil filter because that will lead to overtightening. As tight as you can get it by hand (with the gasket oiled) is fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts