Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CR-V, EX, 5spd Manual
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took possesion of my 2006 CRV, and I'm trying to Remove the stock 'Honda' lettering because it was all tattered and ugly. Going to re-decal it after, but for now im not sure how to tackle the brown outline of the old one. The letters themselves came off with a Razor and goo-gone no problem, but the brown stuff is proving to be more difficult. Any tips?
Circle Rim Metal

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,168 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-V EXL
157 Posts
To me a there's a product that does an easier and better job than Go-Gone. I will always have a can of lighter fluid for that task. Looking at the size of your project and not wanting to show any scratch damage to the finish of the cover I'd put the razor away and try the lighter fluid.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,168 Posts
With ANY adhesive remover you need to be diligent at applying the chemicals in steps, then wiping/rinsing them off. You don't want to mar the paint (if you haven't already, by using a razor blade 😕 ).

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,572 Posts
Since the paint already looks to be marred, if it were me, I would simply prep and paint the circle inside the dimple ring a color of your choice to contrast with the outer gold ring and call it a day. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With ANY adhesive remover you need to be diligent at applying the chemicals in steps, then wiping/rinsing them off. You don't want to mar the paint (if you haven't already, by using a razor blade 😕 ).
Perfect, I'll definitely make sure I adhere to the proper directions of whatever product I get. Ahaha I figured the Razor would get some flack, but once I realized that since only the body of the letters was coming off and in flakes, with very little pressure, it wasnt causing any damage. I couldve used a soft scraper they were so brittle. I didnt dare on the outline since it is much more stubborn, and wont be covered by the vinyl I plan re-label it with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since the paint already looks to be marred, if it were me, I would simply prep and paint the circle inside the dimple ring a color of your choice to contrast with the outer gold ring and call it a day. :)
Oooooo thats actually a stellar idea!!
I might just have to give that a shot!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts