Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I decided to restore all rims on my car. Two of them are rusty. But I think, it would be good to upgrade all of them. The preparation is the most important step. What should I know about it. Is the angle grinder a good tool to delete the rust? Please suggest me a good degreaser and paint.
thanks
Marcell

·
Registered
252 Posts
I inherited my wife's '09 CRV when we purchased a new '15 Pilot earlier this year. The wheels had some surface rust from 6 years of Northeast winters and I was contemplating refinishing them myself. The material cost isn't really that much, but it's a lot of time and effort to do a good job. In the end I decided to get 'Wheelskins' which are chrome plated hubcaps that mimic the oem wheel to a T (Many places carry them, I got mine from Amazon). They were only around $45 for a set of 4 and you'd never know they aren't real wheels until you're literally right on top of them (and even then perhaps). I love the look myself and for around $12 per wheel were a great investment compared to sanding, painting and coating myself. Just another option for ya.

blue-crv.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I inherited my wife's '09 CRV when we purchased a new '15 Pilot earlier this year. The wheels had some surface rust from 6 years of Northeast winters and I was contemplating refinishing them myself. The material cost isn't really that much, but it's a lot of time and effort to do a good job. In the end I decided to get 'Wheelskins' which are chrome plated hubcaps that mimic the oem wheel to a T (Many places carry them, I got mine from Amazon). They were only around $45 for a set of 4 and you'd never know they aren't real wheels until you're literally right on top of them (and even then perhaps). I love the look myself and for around $12 per wheel were a great investment compared to sanding, painting and coating myself. Just another option for ya.

View attachment 56337
Thanks, it is also a great idea and the wheels look great. But I'm in the middle of the preparation process. I started with the sandpaper and the angle grinder. I think that I will risk to paint the clean rims with this paint https://www.mrosupply.com/paint-painting-supplies/spray-paint/1385989_k01618_krylon/ I hope that it will be durable.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts

View attachment 56337
Nice option. Very nice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts