Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have made the plastic covers on past vehicles clear again, but when I noticed the insides of my 2013 CR-V starting to haze, I was stumped how to remove them to polish.
Suggestions?:confused:

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Can't clean the inside. Odd issue to have honestly, sounds like moisture got inside error was made in plastic used to make the headlights

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have seen one video on YouTube where the lens was removed from the housing, cleaned, and then put back together and resealed, but I don't think it was a honda. It didn't look easy and if not resealed completely it will just get moisture back inside. At this point a junkyard trip for replacements or check out partsgeeks online. Just a warning, don't go cheap on non-OEM quality because they don't always fit perfectly and if you plan on keeping the vehicle they may not last.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,451 Posts
If it's moisture (New Mexico, hmmmm...)

Modern headlamps incorporate a vent to let moisture out. Anybody know where that is on a 2013? Sometimes there is a fitting with a tube placed on it, and if the tube falls off, water can get IN.

If everything is intact, you could remove the headlamp and seal the edges. (Had to do that on a '90 Accord.) A flowable RTV is the best sealer, like this:

I haven't yet heard of UV damage on the INSIDE of a plastic lens.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I haven't yet heard of UV damage on the INSIDE of a plastic lens.
It happened on our old '08 Civic. I didn't believe it until I went through too many hours removing the outside layers of UV damage and couldn't get it all. I don't know if it's moisture induced somehow or what.

There were a few others that had the same problem with the same generation Civic. Less hassle to just replace the lights, but some used ovens to open up the lights and it scrubbed right off...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
2,811 Posts
The headlights can be disassembled. I have seen some posts showing it for the purposes of installing LED "halos" or other types of aftermarket LED light mods. But I suspect it's not for the unskilled or faint of heart. On inside contamination I have seen instances of it caused by acid rain and atmospheric pollutants, and have seen examples online of it being cleaned, but be careful. These headlight enclosures are sturdy but not indestructible, and they ain't cheap. Google and YouTube are your friends on this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts