Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week after we bought the car my wife backed into a tree and shattered the left, rear reflector situated just above the bumper. I've got a replacement but I'm not sure how to access it, to disconnect the assembly bracket and swap it with the new reflector. Can anyone advise how to do this? I've googled to no avail. :(

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The following link is a bit of help.
http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/24-do-yourself-mods/22594-led-rear-bumper-brake-running-lights.html
"When you remove the tail lights, you can see directly down to the lower bumper area. The reflector lights pop right out via metal clip. Remove the clips from the removed reflectors and reinstall on the LED replacements, then pop back in. Tap three wires into each tail light, good to go! Total time to install, about 20 minutes. No instructions provided but easy to figure out."

Some model years may differ but this link will give you a general idea of how to remove the tail light assembly to access the reflectors that are below:
http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/27-miscellaneous-general-cr-v-discussions/6065-replacing-brakelight-bulb.html

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much, jimbob15. Managed to fix it. Initially I'd hope there was an easy way to access through the bumper, as I was worried about reaching down to secure the 3 screws, without having them tumble down into some inaccessible cavity. All good!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I just face the same issue you describe above.
Could you please elaborate how do you access the rear reflector on 2016 CRV?

·
Registered
2 Posts
same :) if you learned anything, lmk if you would - very grateful for anything ! even the part number you used... am seeing a few options which is confusing

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just did this myself on a 2015 CRV. The reflector assembly is held-in with two metallic clips on top which just slide off (by lifting the bottom lip of each metallic clip) and one philips screw on the bottom.

The easiest way is to first CAREFULLY remove a few of the round plastic clips below the reflector on the bottom of the bumper where it connects to the bottom panel to access the back of the reflector. Stick your hand in there with a stubby philips screwdriver and remove the bottom screw that holds the metal bracket of the reflector assembly to the bumper. (If you can remove the two metalic clips from there as well and simply free the reflector assembly out the bottom and there's no need for the following step:)

Then remove the lower taillight by removing the two philips screws, and untwist the bulbs to free the taillight. Then gently tape the bulbs out of the way with some scotch tape. Look into the hole with a flash light to see the two metallic clips. Then stick your arm into the hole and slide the reflector assembly along with the two metal clips off the back of the bumper by lifting the bottom lip of each of the two metallic clips. Once it's free, let the reflector drop and remove it from the bottom where you first separated the bumper from the bottom panel. If you're unable to pull the reflector out the bottom, you'll have to pull it out the top where you remove the lower taillight was which is a tight fit. Make sure you don't damage your bulbs.

Then transfer the two metallic clips to the new reflector which is self-explanatory and then install in reverse order. Be careful not to drop the philps screw in the bumper. It took me days to find it.

Now, if you have long skinny arms, then the bottom screw may be easier to get to from the top, but for me, going up from the bottom was so much easier.

Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts