Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 CRV AWD Touring: the stereo sound is terrible which is surprising since if you get the Touring model it comes with what is supposed to be an upgraded stereo system.

Has anyone upgraded theirs and if so what did they install and what is the cost to do so.

In the old days you'd just pop out the old stereo and slide in a new one and add a few speakers but this is included in the display with all the other electronic stuff.

·
Registered
857 Posts
2019 CRV AWD Touring: the stereo sound is terrible which is surprising since if you get the Touring model it comes with what is supposed to be an upgraded stereo system.

Has anyone upgraded theirs and if so what did they install and what is the cost to do so.

In the old days you'd just pop out the old stereo and slide in a new one and add a few speakers but this is included in the display with all the other electronic stuff.
Here's my adventure with my touring. Significant upgrade without replacing head unit and keeping the stock amp.

https://www.crvownersclub.com/#/topics/179442?page=1

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
544 Posts
It depends on what you mean by it "sounds terrible"...what you want it to sound like and how much you're willing to spend to get the sound you want.

Wasn't happy with the sound of my '17 ex so I did what you can see in my signature.
This is a basic upgrade excluding the ability to tune the sound. I did not want to spend another $400+ adding a tuning system but still may do so in the future...at the time my budget was used up.
The sound is far superior and no loss of controls, etc. I like the stock head unit's display, etc.
JL Audio offer the "FIX and Tun" systems to further improve the audio system. There are also others offering similar.
It all depends on your budget and what you're willing to spend.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I clicked on the enclosed link in your post but it didn't take me to anything related to stereo installations.
Ok, 1) You mentioned your goal was to improve sound quality. 2) stereo replacement is not possible without losing functionality. This has been discussed at length in this forum if you search for it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
2019 Touring, we have found that the AM/FM radio sound value stinks but using the Sirius or USB with downloaded music produces a much better result.
I believe like the 8 track and CD player we are watching the demise of the AM/FM radio. Honda seems to have used a very low powered radio or perhaps it is the "shark tail" antenna. My radio in AM mode, which I use in the morning to listen to news and weather driving to work, works fine until I enter my garage then it loses significant signal strength. Ah well.
FM works well...no complaints.
I think manufacturers are leaning more towards cloud based "radio". Too bad because local radio is very important IMO.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,191 Posts
I believe like the 8 track and CD player we are watching the demise of the AM/FM radio. Honda seems to have used a very low powered radio or perhaps it is the "shark tail" antenna. My radio in AM mode, which I use in the morning to listen to news and weather driving to work, works fine until I enter my garage then it loses significant signal strength. Ah well.
FM works well...no complaints.
I think manufacturers are leaning more towards cloud based "radio". Too bad because local radio is very important IMO.
Not at all to criticize your radio use, but I prefer to just listen to music while driving. I can get way more news than I ever need, and weather reports elsewhere. Who needs that stress while driving?

You may be right that AM-FM radios have taken the back seat to streaming music sources.

·
Registered
857 Posts

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,191 Posts
Not even close:

188.6MM minutes of AM/FM per week vs 13.4MM minutes of streaming audio. Source is Nielsen Q2 2017 data, reported Feb 2018.

https://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insig...adcast-radio-remains-the-comparable-king.html

Thanks for this! I really had no idea. Just kinda agreeing with Kai Winters. Of course, I suspect that doesn't take into account those who only listen to stored music on USB or cell phones. Personally, I haven't listened to AM or FM in many, many years. Wild guess? 10 years or so. Take that back, I had a rental car for a day or so and it didn't have an active XM account. I was like: "Now what?" I don't even know the local FM stations frequency anymore to be able to tune them in! I finally found a suitable one, and had to endure about 10 minutes of commercials! No thank you!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Thanks for this! I really had no idea. Just kinda agreeing with Kai Winters. Of course, I suspect that doesn't take into account those who only listen to stored music on USB or cell phones. Personally, I haven't listened to AM or FM in many, many years. Wild guess? 10 years or so. Take that back, I had a rental car for a day or so and it didn't have an active XM account. I was like: "Now what?" I don't even know the local FM stations frequency anymore to be able to tune them in! I finally found a suitable one, and had to endure about 10 minutes of commercials! No thank you!
NP, I knew it was high but I would have guessed it was closer.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Not at all to criticize your radio use, but I prefer to just listen to music while driving. I can get way more news than I ever need, and weather reports elsewhere. Who needs that stress while driving?

You may be right that AM-FM radios have taken the back seat to streaming music sources.
Not a problem...I like to hear the "local" news stories in the morning...also weather as I ride my bike every day and getting a heads up via AM weather reports as well as on my smart phone app helps for riding at this time of year when weather if iffy and can change pretty quickly.

I don't listed to FM or streaming music...I much prefer to listen to my favorite song lists via my iPhone and CarPlay...all my music is Apple Lossless...not bad...I also listen to Audible books and a lot of podcasts...

·
Registered
544 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.