Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm an utter novice to cars in general- just bought a CR-V MK1 on looks alone (2001 - has the B20z1 engine)- thankfully it seems to have been well looked after and i'm really enjoying the car. Love it infact. However, I'm curious as to how to use the power outlet in the back of the car- the hole that appears on the passenger side way back in the cargo area, The manual says that it doesn't use a cigarette lighter connection but doesn't explain the connector it does use. Anyone have any idea? Fancy using it to hook a sub up, or a cooler. I'm in the UK. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it's the same as a '99 US CR-V, you might have an amusingly-translated-from-Japanese owners manual. Our rear power outlet was shaped exactly like a cigarette lighter socket; what they meant by "connection" would be that although a cigarette lighter would fit into the outlet, you must not put a cigarette lighter into it: it draws so much power it would blow (hope that's a UK as well as US term) the fuse. Load is limited to whatever the fuse is. We routinely used the outlet to power a 12V electric cooler.

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,075 Posts
I have a US model, and I would second nother4banger's comments, but also...

The rear outlet, like the front, only works when the ignition switch is in the accessory mode. The rear outlet is also not independently switched/powered. It has its own fuse, but it is powered by a relay that is triggered by the front outlet. The reason this is important is that, while both outlets can handle 10 amps, if the fuse for the front outlet blows, it will take out the rear outlet too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts