Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried LED globes in a CRV Gen 1 headlights?
Seems the reflectors on some headlights take LED globes better than others.

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,086 Posts
Maybe not. A lot of people who like older vehicles like these prefer regular light bulbs for the headlights.

Also, CR-Vs are popular because they're cheap to drive. LEDs are expensive.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe not. A lot of people who like older vehicles like these prefer regular light bulbs for the headlights.

Also, CR-Vs are popular because they're cheap to drive. LEDs are expensive.
Decent LED bulbs have come down in price and good Halogen bulbs aren't much cheaper if at all. Guys also like loading mods on the old CRV's and LED upgrades are always popular.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
The globes you speak of I gather you are referring to projectors? It's not so much the headlight (except if the housing will take the mod easily or not) as the quality and design of the projector. Projector mods basically eliminate the use of the reflector. But if the headlight lens itself looks like it has lines and such through it, the lens is used partially to control the beam and will cause some weird looking effects in the beam pattern.

I can't remember if Gen 1 lens are pretty much smooth or not.

Also you are right, losing older vehicles is VERY POPULAR because LED systems are not that expensive anymore and most of us can't afford or can't justify a new vehicle then trying to mod it when older ones are easier and mods are far cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The globes you speak of I gather you are referring to projectors? It's not so much the headlight (except if the housing will take the mod easily or not) as the quality and design of the projector. Projector mods basically eliminate the use of the reflector. But if the headlight lens itself looks like it has lines and such through it, the lens is used partially to control the beam and will cause some weird looking effects in the beam pattern.

I can't remember if Gen 1 lens are pretty much smooth or not.

Also you are right, losing older vehicles is VERY POPULAR because LED systems are not that expensive anymore and most of us can't afford or can't justify a new vehicle then trying to mod it when older ones are easier and mods are far cheaper.

No not projectors just drop in LED H4 globes that fit where the traditional Halogen globes would go. My question is how well does the stock CRV headlights/reflectors take LED H4 globes, sometimes the LED's work well with older reflectors, sometimes not.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Depends on your definition is "work well".

I tried a set in my gen 2. Not bad but some artifacts on the edges of the beam I wasn't used to. The ones I tried I wasn't a huge n of because low beam I could tell was dangerously over bright and high beam was almost non-existent (gains some distance but barely due to brightness of low beams)

Other issue being that unless they are SAE compliant (almost everyone on eBay and Amazon is not) they are illegal to use technically. So have to tread carefully.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts