Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda will have to do something with those 2 new Hybrid AWD vehicles. It seems as if Honda is a year or 2 behind Toyota in bringing new vehicles to the market (in the above segments that I'm looking at).

I would have bought the CRV Hybrid except for the lack of a spare and now the Venza and Sienna come out so now I'll wait for those to check them out.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts

From the European press release, there is another new Honda SUV on the way....

The press conference reinforces Honda’s Electric Vision and its bold commitment that all mainstream models sold in Europe will be electrified by the end of 2022. The next step on this journey will be this year, with the introduction of the fully-electric Honda e and the all-new Jazz with hybrid technology. Through 2021 and 2022, four further new models will be introduced, including a new SUV and an additional electric vehicle. Honda’s branding will also change to reflect this vision, with every next-generation electrified product or energy management innovation coming under the collective name of ‘Honda e:TECHNOLOGY’.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Honda will have to do something with those 2 new Hybrid AWD vehicles. It seems as if Honda is a year or 2 behind Toyota in bringing new vehicles to the market (in the above segments that I'm looking at).

I would have bought the CRV Hybrid except for the lack of a spare and now the Venza and Sienna come out so now I'll wait for those to check them out.
Such major moves generally happen on the release of a new generation for a model.

Since Toyota and Honda are on different model refresh years for most of their models in the same vehicle class... it is no surprise to see one or the other do a feature leapfrog when they pop a new generation ahead of each other by a year or two. Neither company changes what their in process new design cycles feature sets in response to a competitor.

FACT: Honda is on a very deliberate and announced public plan to be largely conventional gas engine free in their entire vehicle line up by 2025. I'm sure there will still be some GDI engines in use by Honda through 2030... mainly for vehicles designed for towing (ie: Pilot, Passport, Ridgeline)... but the rest of their product line (which is 90%+ of their annual production volume) will be a combination of hybrid, plug-in hybrid, and full electric.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
971 Posts
The odyssey has never needed to ‘keep up’ with anything. Even without awd families flock to it AND by not having thr extra weight saved a few mpg (still not great)
I’m sure the future will go ev but the pilot gives families a 3 row awd option.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V hybrid Executive trim Premium Chrystal Red Metallic
47 Posts
Europe and electric vehicles go well together; most government 'sponsor' hybrids and e-vehicles with tax breaks. The introduction of an all-electric Honda SUV will be welcomed. Provided it has ample towing capacity! Throwing that away will cause customers to turn away from Honda. Having said that: Toyota is introducing the Highlander hybrid for the first time here. With towing capacity. Regarding the SIenna: I think simply because behemoths like the Sienna never got a lot of followers. In simple terms: we don't have the space for those cars! E.g. parkings are too small for a car like that.

But, as we all know, Europe isn't Honda's main market. That must be Asia and the US, I presume.

Menno

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Europe and electric vehicles go well together; most government 'sponsor' hybrids and e-vehicles with tax breaks. The introduction of an all-electric Honda SUV will be welcomed. Provided it has ample towing capacity! Throwing that away will cause customers to turn away from Honda. Having said that: Toyota is introducing the Highlander hybrid for the first time here. With towing capacity. Regarding the SIenna: I think simply because behemoths like the Sienna never got a lot of followers. In simple terms: we don't have the space for those cars! E.g. parkings are too small for a car like that.

But, as we all know, Europe isn't Honda's main market. That must be Asia and the US, I presume.

Menno
Even on current GDI CRVs.. towing is marginal at best, and clearly not designed as a towing vehicle. CRVs have low total load capacity and require you factor both passenger weight, cargo weight, and then towing weight. Unless you are driving an empty CRV.. you have no real towing capacity, and never have. So I very much doubt limited or no towing capacity will hurt CRV sales at all, and certainly will not hurt Honda.

If you want to actually tow with a Honda.. you choose a Ridgeline, Pilot, or Passport. Period, end of story.

·
Registered
47 Posts
As I've written elsewhere on these pages, the European Hondas are allowed to tow much, much more than the US versions: up to 2000 kgs/4400 lbs for a petrol CR-V and 750 kg/1650 lbs towing capacity for the hybrid. The hybrid RAVs and Mitsubishis hybrid PHEVs are allowed to tow 1500 kg/3300 lbs. From experience, I can tell you that they're capable and reliable workhorses when towing loads up and down the Alps!

Lots of Europeans with a caravan or -like us- with a sailing boat, keep a sharp eye on Honda's towing capacity. Until now, the car park near a European sailing regatta is filled with Gen4 (or older) Honda CR-Vs. Especially British owners seem to like the CR-V's capabilities.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Especially British owners seem to like the CR-V's capabilities.
Marginally off topic, but CR-V sales here are slow. So few of them are on the road.

Honda barely has 1.5%-2/0% of the UK car market - I can see them leaving the UK altogether within 2-4 years. The UK Honda line-up is absolutely pitiful when compared to the likes of the USA or places in Asia.

·
Registered
47 Posts
More than over here. I remember driving south of London, between Dover and Plymouth thinking: "...wow another CR-V!"

Back on topic: Honda has launched a big campaign promoting the new HondaE. Big as in: big for Honda here in Holland. Normally, Honda doesn't 'open its mouth' here. Not even about the class-leading 10 yr warranty! Hence the 460 (in total!) sold cars here in The Netherland in 2019.

The HondaE is more what gets people's interest here. But again, they managed to price this car too high. With the VW id3 in the theatre's wings waiting it will become hard to sell the E. So yes, there's a fair chance that Honda will pull the plug. For comparison reasons: Toyota is big here with their small cars; anything larger than a Corolla doesn't sell. The Camry is rare as hen's teeth and although I'm a fan of the HIghlander, I cannot see it getting it sold here.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Highlander is due in the UK too.

By and large, Toyota interiors (where a person spends all their time whilst driving / being a passenger) is simply ghastly compared to Honda's. Cheap, brittle, recycled and definitely not long lasting at all.

But, in Toyota's favour - they have a breadth of car offerings to spoil would-be customers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The Venza has the same wheelbase and width as the RAV4 Hybrid. It is just longer overall and fancier.

I still like the CR-V interior better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts