Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How has the paint held up on this generations honda's CRV's? I just clay-bared and waxed a new to me 2005 and the paint seemed original except the front bumper seemed to be resprayed upon closer inspection (pretty good color match- It's an SE with painted front and rears).

Wondering if i do some 2 or 3x a year clear coat and waxing should it keep holding up for another 5 years? Front headlights had minor fogging that cleared up with some buffing compound and now they look brand new. I don't want to go through 2 or 3 stages of orbital buffing for fear clearcoat may be thin on the paint.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,006 Posts
UV exposure is what would 'kill' the paint, plastic cladding, and headlamps.

Waxing (or these days, a hybrid ceramic wax) would do well.

Did you apply an anti-UV coating onto the headlamps? (clear paint) You will be buffing them every six months if you didn't. BTDT

+++++++++++

Our '06 has great paint, all original and very little headlight crazing so far. For 14 years, it was out in the weather all day (currently, it is garage kept). but my sister's '05 has needed headlight buffing at least twice. And, the gray plastic is fading.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UV exposure is what would 'kill' the paint, plastic cladding, and headlamps.

Waxing (or these days, a hybrid ceramic wax) would do well.

Did you apply an anti-UV coating onto the headlamps? (clear paint) You will be buffing them every six months if you didn't. BTDT

+++++++++++

Our '06 has great paint, all original and very little headlight crazing so far. For 14 years, it was out in the weather all day (currently, it is garage kept). but my sister's '05 has needed headlight buffing at least twice. And, the gray plastic is fading.

I have Meguir's headlamp coating shipping to me to coat the headlights. Since i was buffing out all the door handle scratches (4 doors and hatch) I went ahead and by hand easy buffed out the top of headlights with the lightest compound i have and it came off in about 30 seconds. While I don't think the car was garaged, the paint is looking pretty good. Plastic trim is showing signs of aging. The only fading paint is on the top of the color matched spare tire cover.

Good to hear others are having good experience with the paint lasting. I tried searching for those posting about paint failure and there were not any on this forum. I guess that's a good thing.

·
Registered
862 Posts
My former vehicle (2000 Mustang GT)'s paint didn't look too bad -- just slightly faded, but since it was garage kept for the last 15 years I had it, I think that is what helped the most. Of course, newer paints are water based instead of the old urethane or acrylic (touch up is still acrylic, however), so I am not so sure how these newer paint codes will hold up. My 2016 has already shown that the paint is not too strong (had to touch up a few areas already). Conversely, the ceramic coating has helped a lot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My former vehicle (2000 Mustang GT)'s paint didn't look too bad -- just slightly faded, but since it was garage kept for the last 15 years I had it, I think that is what helped the most. Of course, newer paints are water based instead of the old urethane or acrylic (touch up is still acrylic, however), so I am not so sure how these newer paint codes will hold up. My 2016 has already shown that the paint is not too strong (had to touch up a few areas already). Conversely, the ceramic coating has helped a lot.
I used to have a 2000 GT 5speed manual. The early days of muscle car resurgence. I see mustangs of that generation now with horrible paint so I'm wondering about Honda's paint now too.

·
Registered
2020 Touring, Sonic Gray Pearl
94 Posts
My '07 paint was in fine shape when I traded it in last year, clearcoat was intact and no issues with fading. There were plentiful rock chips on the front of the hood/bonnet and front bumper, but that's the price you pay living in mountainous snow country. I made sure to have full front-clip PPF (full hood, front bumper, mirrors and A-pillars) installed on my '20 almost immediately after purchase, but even in the week or so I drove it before the film was applied some small chips happened. I sprung for a full ceramic coating as well. If yours is in good shape, a light polish and wax a few times a year should protect it fine and keeping it looking nice some some time to come.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,006 Posts
If yours is in good shape, a light polish and wax a few times a year should protect it fine and keeping it looking nice some some time to come.
X2

Our '81 Civic maintained good paint with this strategy, in fact we got a couple compliments on it later in its 12-year life.
And, that was before the improved wax coatings that are available today.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 04 EX´s paint is in great shape. I have applied a coat of Sonax Polymer NetShield back in march and I am confident that paint will remain protected because I just use it once a week as we are working from home due to the pandemic and after that, it remains sitting in the garage, with a cover on it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The paint was fine in 2012 when I got my 2002.
Ive done a lot of highway miles since then. Front, and side panels have a million mini rock chips. I have rust on the left rear wheel arch. I have sanded this down, painted and coved in duct tape.
Rust has eaten away where the windscreen joins the roof. I have duct taped this too. other than that.. its okaay I guess... 😃

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,769 Posts
Ive done a lot of highway miles since then. Front, and side panels have a million mini rock chips. I have rust on the left rear wheel arch. I have sanded this down, painted and coved in duct tape.
Rust has eaten away where the windscreen joins the roof. I have duct taped this too. other than that.. its okaay I guess... 😃
Hmmm... duct tape? Why???

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hmmm... duct tape? Why???
It was a hackjob. Mostly to slowdown the rust and water getting on it. The roofpart I was not sure how to fix. I did not want to spend any money.
Im going to get rid of the vehicle later this year or next. Everything is starting to go. Electrics, engine light, sensors, I think the exhast too. But it runs ok..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dang. Canada weather is brutal on cars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts