Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

I have noticed when i my CRV is cold and i start up the car and turn on the heater @ 85 or above, i hear a slight humming noise. it almost sounds like a low frequency beeping noise which eventually goes away as the car warms up. does anyone else have this problem? it just started about 3 months ago. i have around 50k miles on the car and no other issues. i also have hondacare but i don't know if this would cover it as the heater works fine, just have to deal with this annoying noise when the vehicle is cold.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm not too sure if we have the same issue, but we've had a high-pitched buzz that is intermittent when the fan is on high. Can't use autocontrol because it has been so annoying. Took it to the dealer and they said they cleaned out the cabin air filter, but the sound is still there, along with an airhorn sound that goes off with it. Kind of upset with how they dealt with the issue and not sure where to go from here.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,475 Posts
Just an fyi. Going from freezing to running it that hot COULD potentially break the glass. I shattered a new ACURA RL loaner like that and another user on here did it with their crv.

If the engine isnt at temp you might just be pushing the fan too hard.

try putting it on 85 and hit auto to see if the system allocates the air better and hum goes away

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same issue this past week, it lasted for a day and it wouldn’t heat as well as it usually does. Not sure what happened.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
hi guys,

I have noticed when i my CRV is cold and i start up the car and turn on the heater @ 85 or above, i hear a slight humming noise. it almost sounds like a low frequency beeping noise which eventually goes away as the car warms up. does anyone else have this problem? it just started about 3 months ago. i have around 50k miles on the car and no other issues. i also have hondacare but i don't know if this would cover it as the heater works fine, just have to deal with this annoying noise when the vehicle is cold.

Just a guess on my part.. but I suspect you have a mechanical flutter of some sort that is temperature dependent.

I say this because most of the cabin air components are plastics.. and these do expand and shrink as temperature changes. They ALSO become less pliable when they are very cold. Further.. setting your heat manually and setting to 85 is going to force the blower to maximum extremes right at start up, when the vehicle is cold.

I like the suggestion above by BoostedV of setting the heat to 85... but also put the climate control system on auto. What this will do is the vehicle will not push maximum air until the engine reaches a certain temperature.... and that probably would avoid you issue to a large degree, if not completely. So I encourage you to give that experiment a try. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Have you changed the cabin filter? I've had vehicles (including the CR-V) that start making a whistle or low frequency hum noise when the filter is about plugged up.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
Have you changed the cabin filter? I've had vehicles (including the CR-V) that start making a whistle or low frequency hum noise when the filter is about plugged up.
Good point, and a simple thing to try. (y)

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,027 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,027 Posts
Some times things are a Mystery, I'll go back to the gen 1 or gen 2 era. always at warm up I got a tone like a Pitch fork was hit, withing say 5 minutes of the ride. always at cold. what was it. never knew. just once it wamed up it was gone , always tuned for say 8 seconds enough to notice what was that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the same issue, it happens only when the fan is on max speed and it aims toward legs, and driver side vent opening is fully closed. The sound come and goes. I took it to the dealer, dealer installed new blower motor, it didn't help. Funny thing, I drive a rental CRV 2020 last week and the sound was there too. I guess it's a design issue.

·
Registered
2017 EX-L AWD
121 Posts
Your mileage may vary, but I never want it to be 85 inside the car. A thermostat is more a switch than a volume control.

·
Super Moderator
5,027 Posts
We all are different. you may keep it on the cooler side while others on the hotter side . as for the Humming sound, guess its not noticable with some and with others.. hope you solve the problem, if it is a problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts