Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Yep; totally saw that coming, given the spacious engine bay. The only question left is if the Acura-ized version will have a V6 instead.

·
Registered
2017 Honda CRV EXL Molten Lava Red
132 Posts
Wow. I was hoping that would come out soon in US. the MMD looks good for the Accord, wonder if it will be 4WD in CRV? Saw the Clarity pics, 3 models of hybrid, electric designs. Pricing will be interesting and maintenance tips.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thats great! I actually considered looking at the Kia Niro with its hybrid technology. ( i know no where near Honda standards, quality etc) but on mileage alone its intriguing! I really wante'd awd though so i passed.. I'm DYING to know what CRV in a hybrid would make

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Yep; totally saw that coming, given the spacious engine bay. The only question left is if the Acura-ized version will have a V6 instead.
From what I have been reading the new RDX Acura will come with a turbo-charged 2.0 4-cylinder. But who knows for sure?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far it sounds pretty exclusive to the Chinese market.
UPDATE: Green Car Reports reached out to Honda North America for comment, and received the follow response:

We have already announced our intent to electrify core volume models, including light trucks.* CR-V will logically be a part of that, and we'll announce timing for the U.S. at a later date.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From what I have been reading the new RDX Acura will come with a turbo-charged 2.0 4-cylinder. But who knows for sure?
Would seem logical as the luxury cuv competitors all have 2.0 turbo 4 cylinders. Another twist, a 2 row Pilot is rumoured. Would they use this as the chassis for the next RDX or as another model between the MDX and RDX?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Would seem logical as the luxury cuv competitors all have 2.0 turbo 4 cylinders. Another twist, a 2 row Pilot is rumoured. Would they use this as the chassis for the next RDX or as another model between the MDX and RDX?

The MDX is built on the Pilot platform. The RDX on the same platform as the CR-V.

·
Registered
488 Posts

Biggest disappointment was 11,4 litres/100 km fuel use (Hybrid)
Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP) combined fuel use RAV4-hybrid 5.8 and Honda CRV 7.3 (bad)

·
Registered
190 Posts
...Biggest disappointment was 11,4 litres/100 km fuel use (Hybrid)
Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP) combined fuel use RAV4-hybrid 5.8 and Honda CRV 7.3 (bad)
11.4L/100km (20.6 mpg)
7.3L/100km (32 mpg)

Those numbers sound, um, a bit low. Where did you get that info?

Assuming the U.S. CRV Hybrid isn't substantially different than the European version, I'd expect much higher numbers. Like these reported by Motoring Research:

"Combined fuel economy under the revised, tougher WLTP-related NEDC test [for FWD] is 53.3 mpg (4.41L/100km)..."

"Choose all-wheel drive and the figures are still decent, with economy of 51.4 mpg (4.58L/100km)..."

Even assuming MR's numbers are based on imperial gallons, the AWD CRV Hybrid is still a very respectable 42.8 mpg (5.50L/100km).

·
Registered
65 Posts
This will not matter to many and that is OK, we are all different. I was SERIOUSLY considering the CRV-Hybrid until I learned that it does not have a spare tire (donot). To repeat myself, will not matter to many.
Acadia

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
238 Posts
I drive a six month old 2019 2WD Hybrid CRV UK model. Current fuel economy stands at 53.2mpg (imperial gallons) which reflects the above test results pretty accurately. Fair mixture of highway and urban driving in standard mode whilst not hanging around if road conditions permit. Car drives brilliantly with none of the associated problems identified in the forum and to date I've only read positive reviews in the UK regarding the hybrid setup.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Charlie1960 - that’s a nice review of your crv hybrid experience. And 53 mpg (UK) is 44mpg US, which would be great! do You have experience driving the mon hybrid crv too? If so, how does the hybrid drive in comparison - smoothness, noise, etc?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Charlie1960, thanks for posting.

I want the 2WD version like you have in the UK. But sadly, only the AWD CRV Hybrid is available for the 2020 initial U.S. release.

70% of U.S. CRV's are AWD, so it makes sense for now. And it'll compete better with the AWD-only RAV4 Hybrid.

I'm guessing we'll get 2WD in 2021. Oh well, I'll wait.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
238 Posts
Charlie1960 - that’s a nice review of your crv hybrid experience. And 53 mpg (UK) is 44mpg US, which would be great! do You have experience driving the mon hybrid crv too? If so, how does the hybrid drive in comparison - smoothness, noise, etc?
[/QUOT
I test drove the 1.5 CVT CRV prior to purchasing the hybrid and to be truthful I can't remember experiencing excessive road or engine noise, I was more concerned about the transmission noise as this was the first CVT I had driven. Most of my driving life has been Diesel engined manual gearbox cars with the odd automatic transmission foisted upon me so buying a CVT never mind a hybrid was a major change to previous cars. Its fair to say I was impressed.

What I can confirm is that the car sweeps along the road with barely a whisper. Road and wind noise are minimal. The transmission is super smooth with no feeling of transfer between electric drive to engine and anything in between. My only gripe was the occasional engine whine when accelerating hard or climbing the odd gradient but I've learned to manage that issue with time and experience.

I changed my tyres from the stock Bridgestone Duellers to Michelin Cross climates which subtly improved the ride not that I had any complaints regarding the Bridgestones. Winter here can bring the odd day of snow and ice so it's not worth buying Winter rated tyres and cross climates provide a level of protection all year round.

I only wish the infotainment system was as good but that's another story.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I want the 2WD version like you have in the UK. But sadly, only the AWD CRV Hybrid is available for the 2020 initial U.S. release.

70% of U.S. CRV's are AWD, so it makes sense for now. And it'll compete better with the AWD-only RAV4 Hybrid.

I'm guessing we'll get 2WD in 2021. Oh well, I'll wait.
Yes, all CRV Hybrids for the USA wll be AWD, at least for now. Not a problem for me but what is interesting tech that I don't understand, how does Honda incorporate the AWD into the Hybrid. How does it work compared to the regular? Is the AWD just as good?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Yes, all CRV Hybrids for the USA wll be AWD, at least for now. Not a problem for me but what is interesting tech that I don't understand, how does Honda incorporate the AWD into the Hybrid. How does it work compared to the regular? Is the AWD just as good?
Since American Honda hasn't released a lot of information yet, it might be best to look at the CR-V Hybrid that's currently available in the UK.

And yes, it has both FWD and AWD versions.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Assuming the U.S. version is the same as the U.K. version...

For the CRV Hybrid AWD, power is mechanically sent to the rear wheels with a driveshaft -- same as the non-hybrid CRV.

Despite the driveshaft, "the rear floor is almost flat":

Anyway, the CRV Hybrid system is not like the RAV4 Hybrid, which has an electric motor on the rear axle. That's why all RAV4 Hybrids are AWD.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts