Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

I did a search for any threads on here but did I miss a Hybrid thread? I have a 2017 CRV Touring AWD and when/if a Hybrid will be out.

Great reading on here!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hey Folks,

I did a search for any threads on here but did I miss a Hybrid thread? I have a 2017 CRV Touring AWD and when/if a Hybrid will be out.

Great reading on here!
Nothing official at this point. It is out in Europe currently (as you noted, I'm not sure anyone on this board has one, hence the lack of a thread). A few here have indicated it is a sure thing for the MMC this fall, but whether Honda follows through is anybody's guess (I heard battery supplies are a reason it didn't come to the US initially). I'm also watching intently for word to replace my 2015 CR-V that had carbon buildup issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had one for about three weeks - UK based. Still learning to use all the new features that were not on my previous 4th GenCRV. Not trouble free though as I've experienced a number of problems reported on here with 5th Gen CRVs

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have had one for about three weeks - UK based. Still learning to use all the new features that were not on my previous 4th GenCRV. Not trouble free though as I've experienced a number of problems reported on here with 5th Gen CRVs
I'm taking it to mean not the oil dilution problem (since that seems to affect the direct injection turbo engine) but issues such as the heater? Any hybrid specific issues others with the non-hybrid engine have not had?

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,882 Posts
Question for you...

So do they make the Hybrid for EU market in AWD as well as FWD? I'm very curious as to how Honda would approach a Hybrid AWD vehicle.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
I'm taking it to mean not the oil dilution problem (since that seems to affect the direct injection turbo engine) but issues such as the heater? Any hybrid specific issues others with the non-hybrid engine have not had?
Heating issues are directly related to the 1.5T though.. right? Honda designed that engine to be extremely efficient at removing heat and as such.. in cold weather conditions.... you can drive the car or heat the cabin.. but not both very effectively because the cabin heater scavenges heat from an engine that is designed to run cool to begin with.. and the transmission also scavenges some engine heat until it is warm as well.

Apparently the engine was designed with climate change in mind. :banana:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Question for you...

So do they make the Hybrid for EU market in AWD as well as FWD? I'm very curious as to how Honda would approach a Hybrid AWD vehicle.
The Hybrid comes in both AWD and FWD. Pretty sure Honda doesn't use the Rav4 approach of driving the rear wheels solely with electric motors- which is the ideal system IMHO. Why have the extra weight and mechanical drag of a driveshaft? It would be interesting to compare the Honda and Toyota hybrid systems in snow and ice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I too am waiting for words on the 2020 Honda CRV Hybrid. If everything is okay with it, it will be my next car. My Accord V6 is killing me in gas, especially in CA. I have been waiting for words on the hybrid for over a year now. Just hope it’s worth the wait. Don’t really want to wait 2.5 years for the new generation. Lol. Anyone with insider info like from the dealership or anything would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
The Hybrid comes in both AWD and FWD. Pretty sure Honda doesn't use the Rav4 approach of driving the rear wheels solely with electric motors- which is the ideal system IMHO. Why have the extra weight and mechanical drag of a driveshaft? It would be interesting to compare the Honda and Toyota hybrid systems in snow and ice.
I can't tell if Honda has a driveshaft. The UK site someone linked doesn't show one, and the Acura Sport Hybrid also uses rear motors. I also heard the rear motors in the RAV4 hybrid only produce about 58 HP and not much more torque, so their usage wouldn't be for anything heavy anyway.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The future Hybrid CRV has 3 driving modes. Electric, Hybrid, Engine drive

The Hybrid delivers real-world efficiency and effortless drivability, with intelligent Multi-Mode Drive (i-MMD) automatically switching between 3 driving modes: Electric, Hybrid, Engine drive. The results? Better fuel economy and lower CO2 emissions.
https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/cr-v-hybrid/virtual-tour.html#hybrid-performance

·
Registered
8 Posts
Correct - all the problems I've had are with the Honda Connect/SatNav system. Two days after I took possession of the new car the system "froze" and the rotating "downloading" symbol appear on the drivers screen. The unit's screen then went completely black and re-booted during which time the driver screen was also blank except for the speed indicator. On rebooting it wouldn't recognise the attached ipod (needed a hard reset to get it back). Plus rear camera is slow to be displayed and sometime doesn't appear at all. Guidance volume is far too low - just about audible in town but inaudible at 70mph. Awaiting a response from Honda as dealer cannot replicate problems

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
The future Hybrid CRV has 3 driving modes. Electric, Hybrid, Engine drive

The Hybrid delivers real-world efficiency and effortless drivability, with intelligent Multi-Mode Drive (i-MMD) automatically switching between 3 driving modes: Electric, Hybrid, Engine drive. The results? Better fuel economy and lower CO2 emissions.
https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/cr-v-hybrid/virtual-tour.html#hybrid-performance
Heh... interesting design approach. So the vehicle decides which driving mode to run under and there is no CVT! With no CVT... at cruising speeds when the car is running in hybrid or engine mode.... that engine is going to be reving up a lot to provide power I guess. Also... total drive distance on electric is 2-3 miles..... not much battery there.https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...cr-v-keeps-it-clean-and-comfortable-1.3726185

·
Registered
10 Posts
Some comments based on a few days personal experience:

1. The engine doesn't thrash at high speed. It might noe be a conventional CVT, but there's clearly some version of CVT in operation. No rev counter but at 70 mph on flat road, the engine's not working very hard.
2. In town, it runs largely on battery - the petrol engine is simply driving a generator to provide charge to the battery.
3. You can select electric-only, but once the battery runs out of charge, the petrol engine. will start up to recharge it.

My experience over the first 200 or so miles we've had it is that it drives a little like a normal CVT. You get some over-revving if you accelerate hard as the transmission catches up (Sport mode mitigates this to a large degree, at the cost of economy). It's very quiet indeed - unless you're pushing, there's only tyre noise.

We seem to be getting about 45 mpg (UK gallons) in varied driving, which is fine by me - very comparable with the diesel CR-v we've just. traded in and the petrol's cheaper.

After we've had it a little longer, I might try a longer review if anyone's interested.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,758 Posts
For anyone reading any of the English magazine reviews, the English gallon is 20% bigger than the American gallon. So you have to adjust the mpg numbers accordingly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Correct - all the problems I've had are with the Honda Connect/SatNav system. Two days after I took possession of the new car the system "froze" and the rotating "downloading" symbol appear on the drivers screen. The unit's screen then went completely black and re-booted during which time the driver screen was also blank except for the speed indicator. On rebooting it wouldn't recognise the attached ipod (needed a hard reset to get it back). Plus rear camera is slow to be displayed and sometime doesn't appear at all. Guidance volume is far too low - just about audible in town but inaudible at 70mph. Awaiting a response from Honda as dealer cannot replicate problems
I tried to reply to your DM, but we're both limited to 1 message in our inbox (I guess we need to post a few times).

I haven't had a problem with SatNav audio - the one time I've used it it was fine. I haven't seen any of the other issues you've described either. Sorry.

I'm still experimenting, so I might find something as I try stuff

1 - 20 of 51 Posts