Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Hybrid CRV - Any new info

Tags
crv hybrid info
12K views 50 replies 20 participants last post by  ms3224a 
#1 ·
Hey Folks,

I did a search for any threads on here but did I miss a Hybrid thread? I have a 2017 CRV Touring AWD and when/if a Hybrid will be out.

Great reading on here!

#2 ·
Nothing official at this point. It is out in Europe currently (as you noted, I'm not sure anyone on this board has one, hence the lack of a thread). A few here have indicated it is a sure thing for the MMC this fall, but whether Honda follows through is anybody's guess (I heard battery supplies are a reason it didn't come to the US initially). I'm also watching intently for word to replace my 2015 CR-V that had carbon buildup issues.

#8 ·
I too am waiting for words on the 2020 Honda CRV Hybrid. If everything is okay with it, it will be my next car. My Accord V6 is killing me in gas, especially in CA. I have been waiting for words on the hybrid for over a year now. Just hope it’s worth the wait. Don’t really want to wait 2.5 years for the new generation. Lol. Anyone with insider info like from the dealership or anything would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
The future Hybrid CRV has 3 driving modes. Electric, Hybrid, Engine drive

The Hybrid delivers real-world efficiency and effortless drivability, with intelligent Multi-Mode Drive (i-MMD) automatically switching between 3 driving modes: Electric, Hybrid, Engine drive. The results? Better fuel economy and lower CO2 emissions.
https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/cr-v-hybrid/virtual-tour.html#hybrid-performance

#14 ·
Heh... interesting design approach. So the vehicle decides which driving mode to run under and there is no CVT! With no CVT... at cruising speeds when the car is running in hybrid or engine mode.... that engine is going to be reving up a lot to provide power I guess. Also... total drive distance on electric is 2-3 miles..... not much battery there.https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...cr-v-keeps-it-clean-and-comfortable-1.3726185

#12 ·
Correct - all the problems I've had are with the Honda Connect/SatNav system. Two days after I took possession of the new car the system "froze" and the rotating "downloading" symbol appear on the drivers screen. The unit's screen then went completely black and re-booted during which time the driver screen was also blank except for the speed indicator. On rebooting it wouldn't recognise the attached ipod (needed a hard reset to get it back). Plus rear camera is slow to be displayed and sometime doesn't appear at all. Guidance volume is far too low - just about audible in town but inaudible at 70mph. Awaiting a response from Honda as dealer cannot replicate problems

#20 ·
I tried to reply to your DM, but we're both limited to 1 message in our inbox (I guess we need to post a few times).

I haven't had a problem with SatNav audio - the one time I've used it it was fine. I haven't seen any of the other issues you've described either. Sorry.

I'm still experimenting, so I might find something as I try stuff

#17 ·
Some comments based on a few days personal experience:

1. The engine doesn't thrash at high speed. It might noe be a conventional CVT, but there's clearly some version of CVT in operation. No rev counter but at 70 mph on flat road, the engine's not working very hard.
2. In town, it runs largely on battery - the petrol engine is simply driving a generator to provide charge to the battery.
3. You can select electric-only, but once the battery runs out of charge, the petrol engine. will start up to recharge it.

My experience over the first 200 or so miles we've had it is that it drives a little like a normal CVT. You get some over-revving if you accelerate hard as the transmission catches up (Sport mode mitigates this to a large degree, at the cost of economy). It's very quiet indeed - unless you're pushing, there's only tyre noise.

We seem to be getting about 45 mpg (UK gallons) in varied driving, which is fine by me - very comparable with the diesel CR-v we've just. traded in and the petrol's cheaper.

After we've had it a little longer, I might try a longer review if anyone's interested.

#21 · (Edited)
Some comments based on a few days personal experience:

1. The engine doesn't thrash at high speed. It might noe be a conventional CVT, but there's clearly some version of CVT in operation. No rev counter but at 70 mph on flat road, the engine's not working very hard.
If I read the Honda information correctly... the transmission really only gets used at highway speeds, and there is not gear changing (it is a single fixed gear transmission), it is effectively bolted directly to the powertrain and at a fixed ratio ... which is why the vehicle mostly runs on the electric motors.... fed by the battery which is constantly charged and kept charged by the engine. I suspect the powertrain works well at normal highway speed ranges, but if you tromp on it to demand power the vehicle probably tries to provide said power demand from the electric motors supplementing the engine.

Not a bad design approach.... novel actually in a number of ways. A lot of automated technology involved though... so as we have all become accustomed... expect more possible issues if Honda has something programmed wrong, or a system is glitchy. Honda is pretty conservative with technology though.. so I doubt it will be a big issue. I suspect the weak link in the system is the battery driving the motors... especially since it is so small.... it's more like a capacitor then an actual battery in the way they use it.

#18 ·
For anyone reading any of the English magazine reviews, the English gallon is 20% bigger than the American gallon. So you have to adjust the mpg numbers accordingly.

#34 ·
Which means there could be no real reason not to have a CRV hybrid other then Honda just not ready to offer it yet. I wonder if the EU versions represent something that is not completely compliant in the US, and hence would require additional design changes for North America.

These latest generation hybrids from Honda do indicate that Honda appears to have finally dialed in a hybrid approach they like and will continue with. Honda has been kind of doing a big waffle in recent years on their hybrid design approaches. Glad to see them finally getting their engineering focused on this.

#36 ·
Hey Folks,

I did a search for any threads on here but did I miss a Hybrid thread? I have a 2017 CRV Touring AWD and when/if a Hybrid will be out.

Great reading on here!
I am driving a Hybrid CR V which is an excellent car but having trouble with finding an audible voice for going over a speed limit.....any answers out there. I had a RAV 4 before and it would say...."you are over the speed limit." this function is on other Hondas too I believe
Thanks guys n dolls
Hallur

#37 ·
Odd that the CRV hybrid is getting lower mileage than the Rav4 hybrid owners report. (Mine is 43 US MPG) You'd think they would be more comparable. Toyota is rumored to be bringing out a plug in Rav4 in Europe next year. That should boost the mileage significantly depending on what your driving distances typically are.

Toyota uses a different engine design in their hybrids (Atkinson Cycle), I wonder if the CRV hybrid will have the GIO problem or will that be designed out.

#39 ·
Hey Folks,

Great reading on here!
The 2020 CR-V AWD Hybrid is just out this month and I just purchased it last week. I got the EX trim and they are hard to find. Some dealers don't have any, or just the expensive touring model. I'm glad I found this one and even in the color I like, lunar metallic. Subaru & Toyota are both also finally making AWD Hybrids.

#40 ·
Hey Folks,

Great reading on here!
The 2020 CR-V AWD Hybrid is just out this month and I just purchased it last week. I got the EX trim and they are hard to find. Some dealers don't have any, or just the expensive touring model. I'm glad I found this one and even in the color I like, lunar metallic. Subaru & Toyota are both also finally making AWD Hybrids.
Oh, and I also got them to throw in a spare tire and jack for free, even though there is no wheel well to keep the spare in. It was unsettling all these years driving around without a spare tire.

#41 · (Edited)
Congratulations, it's a fantastic car.

Lack of secure wheel storage will be a major deal breaker for a lot of potential buyers but can't say it put me off. Even if it was supplied FOC I'm not sure I'd be happy with a spare wheel rattling about and taking up space in the trunk. Last time I changed a wheel at the roadside was over 30 years ago so I'm comfortable that the risk of needing a spare is pretty low. I'm not saying that this is everyone's experience but worth thinking about the facts before discounting the hybrid because of lack of a spare.

I do know that I have tempted fate with this post and will experience a blow out tomorrow morning at 70mph on the highway.

#44 ·
Thank you, I appreciate the info. I've had or 4 flat tires in the 7 years I owned my previous car and was able to hobble to the service station except for 1 time I had to be towed. I had to buy new tires 2 times, and 1x they were able to fix it. Then I got smart and kept an older tire when I bought new ones to have as a spare just in case. They were able to put that on the wheel and I was good to go. So, I appreciate having the extra tire on a wheel just in case.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.