Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A statement has been included in an UK motoring forum associated with a fairly reputable columnist. The forum reports that new CRV Hybrid was replaced due to a gearbox defect which was identified by a rattling noise from the front of the car in idle or drive. Cost of repairs was estimated at £25k (yikes) whereupon a replacement car was supplied. Same issue appeared on the replacement car within 1000 miles.

The dealer which identified the problem reported that two other CRVs have been diagnosed with the same issue.

It should be noted that the forum rides on the back of the motoring section of one of the UKs reputable broadsheet papers. To date this columnist has had nothing but praise for the CRV platform so I don't believe that they would have included this statement without some level of due diligence to the source of the information i.e. at best forum membership. It should also be noted that this information appeared in a forum and we all know what can be reported in forums no matter how well managed.

I'll keep my eye out for any further updates/reports but this is the first time I've seen any drivetrain problems and I've been following several long term test reviews from various sources. I've also not experienced any problems at 6000 miles. Fingers crossed it has been misreported or it's a localised problem at this dealership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Found one more case on YouTube, I guess. Not able to post a link in a first message but you can find it by searching “CR-V Hybrid 2019 - knocking sounds on cold start“

Owning Hybrid by myself since this Oct, mileage is 1.6k km and no issues so far.
In case of any will update this thread, but hope will have no reasons to do it :)

·
Banned
252 Posts
When you are talking about the gearboxes, are you talking about the automatic (CVT) or the manual (6 speed) transmission?

By the way, I just looked up info on the UK CRV and under transmission types it described the CVT as a 7 speed. What's that all about? My understanding was that CVTs didn't have "speeds", except for some fake ones that are programmed in there by Honda. Is that what they're talking about, 7 fake speeds that are programmed in? I dont think the US versions have that many fake speeds. If I punch the throttle and let it go I feel maybe 2 or 3 fake shifts and that's it.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2 Posts
When you are talking about the gearboxes, are you talking about the automatic (CVT) or the manual (6 speed) transmission?

By the way, I just looked up info on the UK CRV and under transmission types it described the CVT as a 7 speed. What's that all about? My understanding was that CVTs didn't have "speeds", except for some fake ones that are programmed in there by Honda. Is that what they're talking about, 7 fake speeds that are programmed in? I dont think the US versions have that many fake speeds. If I punch the throttle and let it go I feel maybe 2 or 3 fake shifts and that's it.

Am I missing something?
In hybrid CR-V Honda is using i-MMD transmission.
Honda Global | Sport Hybrid i-MMD - Picture Book

·
Banned
252 Posts
Your link doesn't work for me for some reason, unless I copy the address and paste it directly into my browser. I don't know if this will work, but here it is again... https://global.honda/innovation/technology/automobile/hybrid/i-MMD-picturebook.html

That is an interesting explanation of how Honda's hybrid system works, however I don't think i-mmd is a type of "gearbox". I-mmd stands for "Intelligent Multi-Mode Drive". I think it's just a term that Honda uses to describe their hybrid system.

With that being said, does anyone know if Honda programs fake shift points into their electric and/or "i-mmd" vehicles like they do with their CVT's?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Am I missing something?
The wording regarding gearbox came from the motoring forum and was specific to the hybrid model which is fitted with a CVT; no idea where the 7 speed comes into it. I think we can accept that the the terminology used maybe inaccurate but more importantly the statement highlights an apparent defect in the Hybrid CRV drivetrain in multiple low mileage cars which necessitates a repair running into the many thousand of pounds.

I stress that this information came from a motoring forum and as such maybe misreported and therefore should be treated with caution.

If anything else turns up regarding this issue I shall post it on here. I have a vested interest in monitoring this situation due to £30k+ lump of Hybrid technology sat on my driveway.

·
Registered
213 Posts

Am I missing something?
I bet the transmission types you mention are for the UK "petrol-only" CRV, not the Hybrid.

That is, the CRV Hybrid doesn't have a transmission. And no CVT either.

Instead, the CRV Hybrid has a direct drive for the electric motor and for the gas engine.

For the gas engine: A computer-controlled clutch can engage the engine to directly drive the wheels -- but only at higher speeds (~45mph and up). Why not low speeds too? Because the direct drive is geared about the same as an overdrive 6th gear in a manual transmission.

More info:

·
Registered
213 Posts
The wording regarding gearbox came from the motoring forum and was specific to the hybrid model which is fitted with a CVT; no idea where the 7 speed comes into it. I think we can accept that the the terminology used maybe inaccurate but more importantly the statement highlights an apparent defect in the Hybrid CRV drivetrain in multiple low mileage cars which necessitates a repair running into the many thousand of pounds.

I stress that this information came from a motoring forum and as such maybe misreported and therefore should be treated with caution.

If anything else turns up regarding this issue I shall post it on here. I have a vested interest in monitoring this situation due to £30k+ lump of Hybrid technology sat on my driveway.
As mentioned above, the CRV Hybrid doesn't have a CVT. It has no transmission at all. It's direct drive.

Instead, maybe the word "gearbox" refers to the CRV's front differential.

And a rattling sound is one possible sign of a differential problem: 5 SIGNS OF A DIFFERENTIAL PROBLEM

I doubt there's a design flaw -- especially since the CRV system is essentially the same as the Accord Hybrid, which was released 2 years ago in the U.S. (not sure about other markets).

So maybe it's a defective part(s). Or maybe the wrong oil in the differential. Or maybe the wrong amount of oil.

Or maybe someone at the dealer did who-knows-what during prep?

The CRV Hybrid is on the short list for my next vehicle, so I'm definitely following this thread.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,202 Posts
Genuine question fors out there:

Why do people want to buy a Hybrid? Fuel savings? Or some other reason. Would love to know peoples justification for it....

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,202 Posts
Definitely fuel savings. And of course save-the-planet.

And maybe a small performance advantage, Hybrid 212hp vs 1.5L Turbo 190hp.
For the UK at least, the Hybrid lists power at 184PS....which if correct is about 181bhp, a little less than the 1.5T/CVT.

What sort of economy are you getting @Charlie1960 ?

·
Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
1,706 Posts
I was just wondering why the 0 to 60 is at 8.8 and with 212 HP.? So many reports just don't make sense from over there.....
check curb weights, torque distribution on hybrid vs gas, battery pack weight, motor weight, theres alot of variables that account for 1/4 mile times than just hp

·
Registered
194 Posts
I doubt there's a design flaw -- especially since the CRV system is essentially the same as the Accord Hybrid, which was released 2 years ago in the U.S. (not sure about other markets).
Keep in mind there is a mechanical AWD system in the CR-V not in the Accord. Not sure how that ties into the system.

The CRV Hybrid is on the short list for my next vehicle, so I'm definitely following this thread.
Same - I have a feeling it is down to this or the RAV4 Prime to replace my 2015 CR-V. The extended warranty will be up in the next few months and don't want to keep much longer than that.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,202 Posts
I'm not buying this "cost of repairs was £25k"; you could throw the entire drivetrain in the trashcan, and it wouldn't cost that much to replace.
You have no idea how expensive and how much of a total rip off it is here in the UK when it comes to car maintenance from a main (Honda) dealer.

And with Honda having a single digit market share in the UK, those costs rise rapidly.

In the case of the CR-V Hybrid - that £25k will easily be swallowed up by mechanic/labour costs, the whole 2.0 Atkinson petrol engine, the drive train, batteries, motors and lord knows what else.

The aforementioned item is linked here:

Makes me glad I stuck with a conventional petrol engine rather than opt for the Hybrid....

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First thing I did this morning was stuck my head under the bonnet with the engine running and it all sounded as I expected. To be truthful I barely notice as and when the engine fires up when driving as the set up is very sweet and there's no discernible change between electric or motor drive.

With regards to the discussion about the drivetrain, it is marketed as a CVT in UK and as I said before it was the offending forum posting which used the term "gearbox". Any information you guys are posting about the setup being anything different is immaterial as all we can deduce from the posting is that there is a defect which necessitates the strip out of the drivetrain. Whether or not it costs the quoted £25k is again immaterial all we can again deduce is that it's a major piece of work to repair which costs a shed load of money.

I can only add that the item is contained in the forum linked by DK and the only due diligence given to that statement is that the author is a member of the forum. I can assure you that most probably nobody has done any checking to verify what has been written ie Honda UK providing a statement or the offending dealership being contacted. What it does provide is the heads up that there may be a major mechanical problem on some CRV Hybrid models and that all interested parties should be aware of this and to keep a lookout for any reports regarding the issue.

To date my CRV Hybrid has performed brilliantly after 7 months ownership and has returned 53 mpg (imperial) if anyone is interested.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.