Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a 2020 Hybrid Touring for just over one month. I find myself using the paddles for deceleration often. I first started using them coming down hills outside of town. Now, I find myself using the paddles in town when slowing for stop lights. Is this okay?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2020 CR-V Touring Hybrid
132 Posts
I think that is fine. I‘ve had mine for about 2 months and almost never use them. Don’t really remember they are there most of the time, and find them a bit awkward to use when I do.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
For me, it depends on the situation and traffic conditions. I frequently use the paddles when descending hills or when slowing to exiting the freeway, but I only use them in other situations (like slowing to approach a traffic signal) if there aren’t other drivers close behind me. I enjoy using them for hills because I can often maintain appropriate speed without the brake pedal.

·
Premium Member
CRV-Hybrid EX (actually, my ex is a Prius)
96 Posts
Using the "paddles" does, I believe, the same thing as constantly, but shallowly (if there is such a word) pressing the brake pedal, whereby regeneration occurs w/o activating the brake calipers.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've owned a 2020 Hybrid Touring for just over one month. I find myself using the paddles for deceleration often. I first started using them coming down hills outside of town. Now, I find myself using the paddles in town when slowing for stop lights. Is this okay?
Using the "paddles" does, I believe, the same thing as constantly, but shallowly (if there is such a word) pressing the brake pedal, whereby regeneration occurs w/o activating the brake calipers.
The only difference between using the paddles, and a light press on the brake pedal, is that the pedal causes your brakes lights to come on. The only real benefit is that it trains you to brake slowly enough to recoup the most energy possible.

The effect of the brake pedal in Honda's iMMD hybrids is controlled by a computer[1]. It allocates the stopping effort between regen and friction brakes, and activates the brake lights. It favors the regen brakes, using friction only if the battery can't accept the high charging rate, or it is unsafe to use just your front wheels for braking.

The paddles alter the regen only, without the lights. They provide more braking power at higher speeds, and cut off somewhere below about 5 mph. Assuming they provide enough decceleration, there is nothing wrong with using them. Except maybe that the driver behind you may not realize you are gradually slowing.

This isn't as much of a concern as some will make it out to be, since it really isn't a hard braking, but I usually will tap the brake pedal to flash them when I begin a long stretch of regen. It also takes the ACC off, avoiding the annoying "beep" when the paddles do it.

+++++

[1] There are mechanical fail-safes that kick in case the computer does not do it, for those of you who are worried that the HAL 9000 will not let you stop your car, or open the pod bay doors.

·
Registered
2020 CRV Hybrid Touring - Sonic Grey Pearl
46 Posts
I use the paddles all the time... I thought brake lights coming on was based off of deceleration rate, not force applied to the brake pedal...

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Sonic Grey Pearl CRV EX-L Hybrid
53 Posts
I've had my CRV for less than a week but I've got over 400 miles on it and I use the paddles nearly every time I slow down, especially when coming off a highway.

·
Premium Member
CRV-Hybrid EX (actually, my ex is a Prius)
96 Posts
I use the paddles all the time... I thought brake lights coming on was based off of deceleration rate, not force applied to the brake pedal...

My guess would have been the CRV has the deceleration sensor, but I would not be surprised if it didn't. I'll try to figure out how to find this out of :)

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid Touring | Modern Steel Metallic | Black Leather
71 Posts
My guess would have been the CRV has the deceleration sensor, but I would not be surprised if it didn't. I'll try to figure out how to find this out of :)
While on vacation in Colorado, I learned that the brake lights do come on while using the paddles. I don't know if this is in all instances, or only some.

In my experience, I was going down a steep grade and used the paddles to slow the vehicle down and noticed how much red light was reflecting off of road signs behind me. I did not expect the brake lights to come on while not using the brake pedal..

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
That's useful information. I've been more cautious about using the paddles in some conditions because I wasn't sure I could assume that the brake lights would warn inattentive drivers behind me that the reason my vehicle appears to be increasing in size is that it's slowing.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid CRV
8 Posts

I have been wondering this too. I have tried using the paddle to decelerate at night to see if the rear brake lights come on by looking in my rear view mirror. I don't think they do with paddle deceleration alone.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid CRV
8 Posts
I have been using the paddles for a while to decelerate in hopes of charging the battery more to improve hybrid gas mileage. Looking at the green charging level, it does increase the charging amount with each downshift. However, compared to using the brake, I don't think the total charging amount is much different for common situations like turning a corner or approaching a red light. In other words, I think the regenerative braking is pretty efficient and uses the engine to brake quite a bit when you press the brake pedal. The time I think there is an advantage for regenerative charging is on a prolonged downhill decent and maybe the long off ramp getting off the highway. All in all, I haven't noticed a big difference in my gas mileage, but it is fun downshifting with the paddles!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have been using the paddles for a while to decelerate in hopes of charging the battery more to improve hybrid gas mileage. Looking at the green charging level, it does increase the charging amount with each downshift. However, compared to using the brake, I don't think the total charging amount is much different for common situations like turning a corner or approaching a red light. In other words, I think the regenerative braking is pretty efficient and uses the engine to brake quite a bit when you press the brake pedal. The time I think there is an advantage for regenerative charging is on a prolonged downhill decent and maybe the long off ramp getting off the highway. All in all, I haven't noticed a big difference in my gas mileage, but it is fun downshifting with the paddles!
You use the word downshift twice. You do know that's not what's going on, right? Not trying to be a jerk but forums are a place to learn.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You use the word downshift twice. You do know that's not what's going on, right? Not trying to be a jerk but forums are a place to learn.
The paddles fulfill the same purpose as downshifting in a conventional ICE car. They add a uniform braking effect.

When the battery is full (on a long downhill stretch) they switch to doing the same physical thing, just through a more complicated path.

Add to this, that similar paddles are used for actual downshifting, and it is not unreasonable to use the word. No, there are no gears involved. But the result is the same.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No, there are no gears involved. But the result is the same.
If the result was the same, it would assist in acceleration as well. You know when you downshift to over take someone. It's not the same at all. Now if you wanted to compare it to an engine brake and not a transmission, we'd be on to something there. It doesn't have anything to do with gearing at all, just braking.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have been using the paddles to slow down at lights as well and it is good to know that the brake lights will also come on. I test drove a Tesla Model Y last week and for the entire test drive, I used the brake pedal only 2 time over a half hour. The "sales guy" stated that this is normal, even in stop and go traffic, if you let go of the "gas pedal" the car will slow down and once you let go totally, the car stops with the brake light on even if you dont put your foot on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I use them constantly, whenever I slow down. It's like downshifting to use the generator to slow down, prolongs the brakes life and provides battery charge

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have been using the paddles for a while to decelerate in hopes of charging the battery more ...
Emphasis added.
The paddles fulfill the same purpose as downshifting in a conventional ICE car. They add a uniform braking effect.
If the result was the same, it would assist in acceleration as well.
"Downshifting" in a gas car does indeed have multiple purposes. We were only using the word for one in the hybrid.

But believe it on not, on an Accord forum there was a participant who thought they do help with acceleration when passing. He made some vague claims about how "it seems to help with acceleration when passing [since] you don't get that lag waiting for the transmission to catch up to the engine." I tried to get him to clarify what he meant, but he never did.

+++++

But I know for a fact that the paddles do not activate the brake lights in the Accord. It would be interesting to verify that they do in the CR-V. That would be a difference between them and downshifting.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I wish Honda would have options for regenerating braking (off, Low, Med, High) instead of shifters.
Why?

I'm not being snarky. There are reasons for wanting this, but what the car can do accomplishes most of them. With the paddles.

Maybe their functionality needs to be repeated:
  1. The paddles do not do anything that cannot be done without using them. They just do it differently.
  2. Regen is always "on;" the paddles are there to simulate the effect of downshifting (engine braking) in a conventional car. They don't enable regeneration, they make it so regen happens when you press neither the brake nor the gas.
  3. You can achieve the exact same level of regen by using the brake pedal gently. It's just harder to do so manually, becasue you can't tell when the max regen effort is reached and the friction brakes start being used.
  4. The number of chevrons (the "V" symbol) varies from 1 to 4; nothing showing is really the same as one chevron. So you can't turn it off, but you can so better that Low, Med, High.
  5. Yes, unless you are in SPORT mode they revert toi the "one" level automatically.That's because "four" is a pretty high level, and Honda doesn't think the casual driver will want it on always. The more hands-on driver is more likely to use SPORT mode. So if you really want choosable default levels, use SPORT mode.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts