Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sonic Grey Pearl CRV EX-L Hybrid
51 Posts
But I know for a fact that the paddles do not activate the brake lights in the Accord. It would be interesting to verify that they do in the CR-V. That would be a difference between them and downshifting.
I've tried this out at night when I was using full regen on an off ramp and they didn't seem to come on. I tapped my brakes to see a difference and yup, the lights only came on during actual braking. Seems dangerous to me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've tried this out at night when I was using full regen on an off ramp and they didn't seem to come on. I tapped my brakes to see a difference and yup, the lights only came on during actual braking. Seems dangerous the o me.
Whether it's good or bad, it works the exact same way that downshifting for engine braking works in conventional gas cars. Both exhibit the same degree of danger, which I don't think it is that much since neither is an aggressive braking. Downshifting has been used, well, since the dawn of the internal combustion engine, and I know of no claims that it is dangerous.

But here's a trick I use (and it has become habit). I tap the brake pedal before using the paddles, if I am doing a long, slow speed decrease. That has two advantages: it flashes the brake lights, and it turns off cruise control so I don't get the annoying beep that using the paddles alone would cause.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
46 Posts
I've owned a 2020 Hybrid Touring for just over one month. I find myself using the paddles for deceleration often. I first started using them coming down hills outside of town. Now, I find myself using the paddles in town when slowing for stop lights. Is this okay?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Just be aware that using the paddles does not illuminate your brake lights. This is similar to downshifting with a manual transmission, which also does not light up the brake lights.
Just be aware of this. If someone is right on your butt you might want to tap the brake pedal to light up the brake lights.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Instead of using the paddles on a slight downhill slope, I decrease the cruise control speed a mile or two. That starts the charging sooner without slowing the car down too much.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have notice when you use the paddles and then the brakes the charging rate on the gauge is higher than just using the brakes on there own
what difference it makes who knows

21 - 26 of 26 Posts