Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post after years of lurking.
On July 20th I reached my limit and traded my 2017 EXL Nav for a 2019 Rav4 XSE Premium.

Why?
4 years, 2 Honda’s, 2 windshields, 2 seat noise, 2 unable to pinpoint rattles, 2 AC systems that only put out cold air when the engine is above 1,500 RPM and of course 1 with Oil Dilution. I have been to 5 different dealers and they almost give the same answers. Unable to duplicate and/or working as designed. I had one tell me not to use the AC recycle mode as it only moves the hot air. My reply was, When the AC is working properly it’s the fastest way to cool the cabin. He shrugged his shoulders and walked away.

As for the OD, I’m in VA and had to change the oil every time under 3k miles this past winter. I did not know about it until I joined here. I can only imagine what damage the winter of 17-18 did to it. Ignorance is bliss.

HONDA- This is not a cold weather issue, it is a cold ENGINE issue. This engine has difficulty reaching temp even at 70 deg. It takes 2-3 miles even at 70 let alone 30 degrees. Then to add 1 year to the drivetrain warranty. really?
You need to change the corporate and dealer culture of insulting customers intelligence and actually try to keep them.

I see a redesign in 22 with less distance between the engine and firewall.

Those of you that have the problem, good luck.

·
Registered
264 Posts
This engine has difficulty reaching temp even at 70 deg. It takes 2-3 miles even at 70 let alone 30 degrees.
WOW! Way to over exaggerate on your way out. I haven't seen ANYONE complain about the 70° you are the first and mostlikely the last. You were disappointed, and you made a change. No need to bash other people's choice.

I hope you did your research with RAV4. Good Luck with your RAV4.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
264 Posts
My 2017 EXL nav had dilution and I live in Huntington Beach California, almost always above 65 degrees. Haven't had the problem yet in my 19 EX but only have 900 miles on it. So jayp maybe you should listen more and talk less.
Where in my post I mentioned oil dilution??? read my post.... I clearly quoted the part that I am replying to. Does my post talk about oil dilution issue? NO!

If you can't read properly it is a reply to OPs 70 degrees temp it takes 2-3 miles for engine to heat up. Now tell me who needs to read more properly?! Next time before you call me out or anyone out. Read what they have to say or are reply to. Don't just jump to conclusions!

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
WOW! Way to over exaggerate on your way out. I haven't seen ANYONE complain about the 70° you are the first and mostlikely the last. You were disappointed, and you made a change. No need to bash other people's choice.

Where in my post I mentioned oil dilution??? read my post.... I clearly quoted the part that I am replying to. Does my post talk about oil dilution issue? NO!

If you can't read properly it is a reply to OPs 70 degrees temp it takes 2-3 miles for engine to heat up. Now tell me who needs to read more properly?! Next time before you call me out or anyone out. Read what they have to say or are reply to. Don't just jump to conclusions!
First, the term "over-exaggerate" is redundant. Second, who are you to claim that? I've read hundreds of complaints about this major issue right here on this forum. Third, I didn't hear him bashing anyone's choices, other than Honda, for their poor customer care and poor backing of their products (which they richly deserve). Yet here you are bashing him. Hmmm. Nice.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
If I were to leave Honda. oh wait I did 8 years ago, did i go out in a Bang, No. but Sis got one and well stay tuned when Honda is out of our blood that said.

Yeah I would not have been Lurking the past two years to come and say good bye. BYE

Being Polite. Have to say that then people reading it as an insult

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Honda can be a real jerk. They canceled my Civic's body warranty without telling me having discovered a major rust problem with it. The whole body was rusting through from the inside out so the whole car needs replacement.

So they very likely came up with a plan together with the dealer: canceled the warranty and the next time I went to have a service 5+ years in at the official dealer (Veho Eesti AS) and mentioned the rust issue they told me "but you have no warranty". I was like WTF, so they told me that the car was dirty when I brought it in last time and they could not check the body. And they supposedly told me that. Well, they didn't. The only reason I had it serviced at the official dealer was the full service I had gotten used to and every time the car was washed when needed with the fee added to the bill. When I asked why didn't they wash it like always they told me "the car wash was busy".

So you cancel a body warranty for a car the client knew had a rust issue and you had worked on it before and expect this to fly?

Honda has lost me as a client forever. My 2014 CR-V is very likely my last Honda of many I have owned. I'm really sad about it as I like the cars but it's hard to get over the people of Honda Baltic and Veho scam clients like they have in my case .

·
Registered
183 Posts
Honda can be a real jerk. They canceled my Civic's body warranty without telling me having discovered a major rust problem with it. The whole body was rusting through from the inside out so the whole car needs replacement.

So they very likely came up with a plan together with the dealer: canceled the warranty and the next time I went to have a service 5+ years in at the official dealer (Veho Eesti AS) and mentioned the rust issue they told me "but you have no warranty". I was like WTF, so they told me that the car was dirty when I brought it in last time and they could not check the body. And they supposedly told me that. Well, they didn't. The only reason I had it serviced at the official dealer was the full service I had gotten used to and every time the car was washed when needed with the fee added to the bill. When I asked why didn't they wash it like always they told me "the car wash was busy".

So you cancel a body warranty for a car the client knew had a rust issue and you had worked on it before and expect this to fly?

Honda has lost me as a client forever. My 2014 CR-V is very likely my last Honda of many I have owned. I'm really sad about it as I like the cars but it's hard to get over the people of Honda Baltic and Veho scam clients like they have in my case .
ok. But why are you posting in the 5th gen crv forum when you don't have one, never had one and aren't looking to buy one?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
ok. But why are you posting in the 5th gen crv forum when you don't have one, never had one and aren't looking to buy one?
You clearly have either way too little to do or have troubles understanding the context here. Read my post once more, think a bit and post when you have something useful to say.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
You clearly have either way too little to do or have troubles understanding the context here. Read my post once more, think a bit and post when you have something useful to say.
Good answer! I fall in the same boat. My answer to him would be: I also don't have a Gen 5 and won't, ever. But the issue of how Honda treats it's owners is one that is universal to all of us. That's our reason, and all we need.

There are still lots of good Hondas out there, just, for the most part, not in the Gen5 category. I would never buy one, but I would easily jump on a good, low mileage, older one. But I can afford to pay cash, so I can choose. And that's what I did. So far, so good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Exaggerate? Sorry it’s not and I did not “bash” anyone. I simply stated why I traded it. You are the one “bashing”. You could have simple said “oh sorry to hear that” and moved on.

·
Registered
2018 CRV Touring Sandstorm Metallic
51 Posts

So what year Civic? How long was the factory warranty? Good luck with any other make you decide on. My Civic has over 210000 miles, my Pilot has over 100000 thousand miles, and my Crv is coming up on 20000 miles, not any major problems with any of them. All manufacturers have problems, and as long as you have hundreds of suppliers for parts, there will always be something that is wrong, even with all the quality control throughout the manufacture process. Its a given.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
It's 2008, FD sedan, Japan made. The body warranty was 12 years IIRC. Everything else, mechanically, is great apart from the sheetmetal the body is made of. Every panel is rusting from inside out. Doors, hood, roof, trunk lid, all quarter panels, seams between all the welded panels, the panels themselves, gas tank lid, penetrating rust everywhere.

I had a 2008 CR-V (Swindon plant) at the same time. There was zero rust, nothing, nowhere to be found. Also my 2014 has been great so far. So I can safely say the Civic is a lemon.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,634 Posts

I'm not going to comment on the other posts in this thread (which likely will drive the thread into a lockdown by moderators), but this one.. is based on inaccurate assumptions.

2008 Civic Warranties: Source: https://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Handbooks/AWL35755.pdf

Rust Perforation Limited Warranty:
Only the vehicle’s original owner can make a claim under this warranty. Coverage cannot be transferred to any other person or institution (such as an insurance company). Time and Mileage Period This warranty’s coverage begins on the same date as the New Vehicle Limited Warranty (see page 9), and continues for 5 years with no mileage limit. Any body panels repaired or replaced under this warranty are covered only for the time remaining in the original 5 years of coverage. Warranty Coverage Honda will repair or replace any original body panel that rusts completely through from the inside out (perforated by corrosion). This includes panels previously repaired or replaced under this warranty. Rust that does not perforate, but is caused by a defect in material or workmanship, is covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. You will not be charged for any parts, material, or labor under this warranty. The decision to repair, rather than replace, any rusted body panel will be made by Honda. This Warranty Does Not Cover: • Surface rust on the underbody or any other part of the vehicle except body panels. • Rusting of body panels that were repaired, replaced, or refinished after retail sale of the vehicle, unless those panels were repaired or replaced under this warranty. • Body panel rust caused by abuse, misuse, or lack of maintenance. • Rusting where the paint has been damaged by road hazards such as stones and debris. • Rust caused by immersion of the body panel in water, mud, or sand; or resulting from exposure to corrosive gas or industrial fallout. • Paint matching. Honda reserves the right to decide how much of the repaired or replaced panel, and any adjoining body panels, need to be repainted to match the original finish. Honda will not, under any circumstances, authorize painting the entire vehicle strictly for the purpose of paint matching
I get your frustration over the issue with your 2008 Civic... but you claimed in a followup post the body warranty was 12 years (it's not) ... and admitted you submitted the rust issue 5+ years after purchase, and appear to want to blame the dealer for not being proactive in checking for and dealing with rust at an earlier service (which is not on any maintenance checklist at any Honda dealer that I ever heard of).

·
Registered
112 Posts
We had much success with our 18 here in Texas. I didn’t realize how much fuel dilution there was with just idling the car for two hours once a week on my last oil change. 6K on the oil with about 1.5 qrts of additional fuel in the oil. No abnormal noises awesome fuel milage. I could see an issue happening down the road but the wife wanted something bigger and we traded it in for a 19 Pilot.

·
Registered
178 Posts
We had much success with our 18 here in Texas. I didn’t realize how much fuel dilution there was with just idling the car for two hours once a week on my last oil change. 6K on the oil with about 1.5 qrts of additional fuel in the oil. No abnormal noises awesome fuel milage. I could see an issue happening down the road but the wife wanted something bigger and we traded it in for a 19 Pilot.
Wow. That would give you a measurement of greater than 2" over the full mark! I'm shocked you didn't have any weird things going on - at the very least an engine light...

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I'm not going to comment on the other posts in this thread (which likely will drive the thread into a lockdown by moderators), but this one.. is based on inaccurate assumptions.

2008 Civic Warranties: Source: https://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Handbooks/AWL35755.pdf

I get your frustration over the issue with your 2008 Civic... but you claimed in a followup post the body warranty was 12 years (it's not) ... and admitted you submitted the rust issue 5+ years after purchase, and appear to want to blame the dealer for not being proactive in checking for and dealing with rust at an earlier service (which is not on any maintenance checklist at any Honda dealer that I ever heard of).
I'm on the other side of the globe. Your terms listed do not apply. We have at least 10 year rust warranty over here regardless the manufacturer. Many have 12. It requires annual check at the dealer which I have done religiously with all my cars and have it marked in my service book.

The warranty was in effect every year until it wasn't due to the events I wrote about.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Obviously I did read it which how I know you don't own a 5th gen crv and never will. How much time do you spend in the Porsche forum, another vehicle you don't own and never will? Did you post this same exact thing in every forum for every other Honda vehicle you don't own? Get a life. I'm not speaking for anyone else but I don't come into this forum to read about the experiences of other vehicles and likewise, I don't go to other forums of vehicles I don't own and am not looking to purchase because it doesn't apply to me. Other than the letters CRV, there's no other similarities so it begs the question how did you even end up here?
And this goes for the other loser..er user that actually defended your actions and also doesn't own a 5th gen crv but loves to bash them.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Obviously I did read it which how I know you don't own a 5th gen crv and never will. How much time do you spend in the Porsche forum, another vehicle you don't own and never will? Did you post this same exact thing in every forum for every other Honda vehicle you don't own? Get a life.
And this goes for the other loser..er user that actually defended your actions and also doesn't own a 5th gen crv.
lol

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.