Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

I am a previous CR-V owner, why am I here?

3208 16
I started typing this as a reply to a post in another thread and realized as I went on, that it didn't fit the title of that thread...so I started a new one.

...they keep on coming here hoping to carve out a pound of flesh from Honda because they got a CR-V that was a lemon. Amazing that grown men cannot get over it and move on. I have had at least 3 Lemons over the years, I sold them and moved on. I never felt the need to go out of my way to criticize anybody else who owned one or to dissuade anybody from buying one. I just decided that I would not buy a car from that company again and that was it.

Rob
Due to the fact that I also traded in my CR-V, I don't have anything to gain or loose in this forum. But I do have a different perspective, perhaps. I am still here posting. Why? (Actually, I DO have something to gain: the satisfaction of helping.)

1. Because I agree with all the awards the 5th Gen CR-V received. For the price and it's intended market, it is a top achiever. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone I know. My neighbor has a 17 EX-L, and he is also just as happy with his as I was with mine. The fact that so many publications rate the CR-V as tops, doesn't make the CX5, or Santa Fe, bad choices. They are all leaps and bounds better than anything available just a few years ago. I mentioned those because that seems to be the primary ownership of those who feel the need to come here daily to comment. I do wonder, however, why those former owners are here all the time gloating about how good their new cars are, and how much better the manufacturer stands behind them, etc. One or two posts, perhaps, but constantly? Other than my first post commenting that I traded my CR-V for an RDX, the only time I mention my new car is when specifically asked about it.

2. I am a car guy (like many others here) and I like to discuss cars.

3. I like to help others with their questions when I can. What can I contribute?

4. Like you, Rob, I have bought new vehicles that I replaced very early due to issues that were not able to be resolved by the dealer, (or I made a bad buying decision) and yet I continued to read the forum, only posting there when I had positive help for someone on that forum. But I NEVER criticized other owners, the manufacturer, or tried to dissuade anyone from buying one. Everyone has different tastes, priorities and values.

5. Anyone here who has read my posts should realize that I try hard to keep and encourage a positive experience here for all. I would hope that this will rub off on more folks.

6. NOT to be a Honda "fanboy" or claim that Honda can never do anything wrong.

7. To continue to enjoy conversations with friends who mostly share my thoughts and love of cars.

8. Cars are my only vice. I've bought, owned, and driven way more than most people...my last count is around 60, I believe.

I will add that it is human nature to respond when criticized or attacked, or when we read something that we believe is just wrong. I don't deny having been sucked in at times. For these I apologize.

Perhaps some of us need to ask ourselves the question I posed in the subject line?

"I am a previous CR-V owner, why am I here?"
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
423 Posts
"I am a previous CR-V owner, why am I here?"

I am here because after a long absence I am again a CRV owner (and wish to be updated/ re-educated on their merits/ characteristics).
For instance, before joining I was unaware of the OD discussions and/or its cold performance problems. Fortunately neither apply to me.

My first CRV: an economical/ reliable 1998 LX 2wd (I'm now in a 2016 SE 2wd).
My initial impressions: I greatly prefer the additional space my Gen 1 provided but I prefer the current CRVs safety features.

· Premium Member
6,175 Posts
I am a Previous Owner Yes a Gen 1 and gen II, skipped Gen III, and gen IV also skipped the Gen V. I am a Previous owner that came from Hondasuv.com if you do not know me from there then you know I am the one that is very helpful. Since I am in a New house a lot of Butting heads here a different group of People. I say are here.

If i see one I do one I teach one. that is who i am

Roadster

· Registered
1,433 Posts
You don't need to explain to us why you are here.

As long are your posts fit the forum rules then by all means spend your time here and try to help.

I'm sure it's frustrating coming to this forum and seeing so many non-car guys try to mansplain to you why you are wrong. I'm still trying to figure it out myself.

Keep applying past logic and your knowledge and be helpful. The moderators can sort out the people that shouldn't be here.

I still don't think the average user on here has any idea how a turbo DI engine and tuning works. It makes for some threads that are way too long and way too full of misinformation.

· Registered
242 Posts
I'm a previous CR-V owner and here because I'm also a current CR-V owner. That's it, no other reason. If I didn't presently own a CR-V, unless I was researching buying a new one, I wouldn't be on this forum.

· Registered
134 Posts
Let me preface what I'm about to write with the fact that I REALLY wanted to like my 2018 Honda CR-V Touring and posted lots of love for it early on in my ownership experience.

Enter my ongoing issues with OD and AHM's inability and/or unwillingness to do anything meaningful to address it. They wouldn't even allow me to have the questionable so-called "fix" because I live in a "warm weather state." Due to my experiences, which are well-chronicled on this forum, I decided to dump the CR-V... but not my participation on this forum. Why? Because there continue to be new CR-V owners coming here due to the severe OD issues they are experiencing. They should be supported and know that they are not alone. Far from it, actually.

Fast forward to this morning when I received the following PM from one of this forum's Mods: "Since you don't own a CRV, perhaps it's best for you to move on to a Mazda forum. Thanks"

WOW! That sounds like a thinly-veiled threat.

I wrote the following in response:

I happen to be on the Mazda forum, too, but thanks for the suggestion.

But more to your point, as a very recent CR-V owner who was adversely affected by severe OD and Honda's abysmal handling of the situation, I feel I have every right to monitor and contribute to various threads, most importantly OD-related ones. Sorry if my righteous indignation toward Honda offends your sensibilities.

· Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,286 Posts
JB - i appreciate you, and think it's cool that you continue to visit here and offer insight. and it's not like you traded your CRV in for a Toyota! LOL

just to share that I don't have all the issues people have complained about w/their vehicles. I have a 2018 and have only really had the HU flashing thing and the Sirius display issue (which appears to be fixed by Sirius last yr).
I am happy with my CRV - as of this date, I have had a great experience w/my dealer and their service dept.

i come here for the tidbits of info shared (then i think "cool - i need to do that", etc) and hopefully can share a positive experience when possible.

· Registered
2,063 Posts
Jeff it is pretty simple, if anyone wants to talk about OD then talk about it in the thread made for it. Once people start to make snide OD posts in threads that have nothing to do with OD the person is by definition a Troll. And this is not directed at you personally.

As for the Mods, let me tell you these guys have been patient beyond belief, I would say about ten times more patient than mods on other forums I visit. You don't own the forum and neither do I. They pay the bills and the bills are paid by ad revenue. When one group of people actions cause numerous other members to leave and therefore cut into their bottom line you bet that they are going to get rid of those people. On most forums I visit they give you maybe one or two warnings about posting outside of threads on a specific topic. If they sense for a second that it is a deliberate act your account and IP are banned pretty much instantly. We play by their rules not the other way around. When 24 people decide that they are going to shove their beliefs into every post that is made it is way past the time for action by the Mods.

Rob

· Registered
134 Posts
Jeff it is pretty simple, if you want to talk about OD then talk about it in the thread made for it. Once people start to make snide OD posts in threads that have nothing to do with OD the person is by definition a Troll.

As for the Mods, let me tell you these guys have been patient beyond belief, I would say about ten times more patient than mods on other forums I visit. You don't own the forum and neither do I. They pay the bills and the bills are paid by ad revenue. When one group of people actions cause numerous other members to leave and therefore cut into their bottom line you bet that they are going to get rid of those people. On most forums I visit they give you maybe one or two warnings about posting outside of threads on a specific topic. If they sense for a second that it is a deliberate act your account and IP are banned pretty much instantly. We play by their rules not the other way around. When 24 people decide that they are going to shove their beliefs into every post that is made it is way past the time for action by the Mods.

Rob
Fair enough and I will try to do that moving forward. I responded to this thread because I get along just fine with JB in AZ even though we don't always agree and his thread title "I am a previous CR-V owner, why am I here?" applied to me and my situation.

Moreover, even when I post to the official OD thread, I'm getting slammed by the likes of UMRdyldo.

· Registered
437 Posts
When 24 people decide that they are going to shove their beliefs....
A bit obsessed, are you. You and 6 others spend more time whining about others on this forum than actually talking about CR-Vs. How about stating your opinions, letting others state theirs, and then leaving it at that. No need to constantly complaint.

Try relaxing a bit, chilling out, taking a deep breath, and please http://lmgtfy.com/?q=don'thaveaheartattack

· Registered
531 Posts
Jeff it is pretty simple, if anyone wants to talk about OD then talk about it in the thread made for it. Once people start to make snide OD posts in threads that have nothing to do with OD the person is by definition a Troll. And this is not directed at you personally.

Rob
You got some brown on your ... (just kidding :) )

Sorry JB to hijack your thread for a sec.

To respond to Rob's comment, I'd say it's a 2-way street. When I first became aware of the OD issue, I did a search and this is the first forum that came up. When I first joined, most if not all of the threads were of the mundane blue-sky-white-cloud variety. Then shortly after, I noticed that whenever there was an OD thread, a cold Honda thread, or Honda problem thread started, you got the long timers piled on and ridiculed the OP. "Fanboy" was a term that was thrown around a lot. Was it TexasCRV who posted that they were treated like lepers? Yup, that was the mentality around here early on. Well, abuses were met with backlashes and things went down from there. If those people who harassed the OD people in the beginning didn't treat other people like dirt (and still do), then we wouldn't be where we are today.

· Registered
619 Posts
You got some brown on your ... (just kidding :) )

Sorry JB to hijack your thread for a sec.

To respond to Rob's comment, I'd say it's a 2-way street. When I first became aware of the OD issue, I did a search and this is the first forum that came up. When I first joined, most if not all of the threads were of the mundane blue-sky-white-cloud variety. Then shortly after, I noticed that whenever there was an OD thread, a cold Honda thread, or Honda problem thread started, you got the long timers piled on and ridiculed the OP. "Fanboy" was a term that was thrown around a lot. Was it TexasCRV who posted that they were treated like lepers? Yup, that was the mentality around here early on. Well, abuses were met with backlashes and things went down from there. If those people who harassed the OD people in the beginning didn't treat other people like dirt (and still do), then we wouldn't be where we are today.
I was Leper man.
https://www.crvownersclub.com/forum...ated-matters-_-volume-1-a-16.html#post1543137

· Registered
653 Posts
JB in AZ: I'm glad you're still with us. I hope you still have a big cheesy grin when you're in that new ride!

For those of you who have started bashing the mods, give them a break! Sorting through the cesspool of posts from trolls and other assorted idiots must be the job from hell.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.