Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am New here... Son just bought a used CR-V & he dropped part of funnel in Tranny!??

Son just got done changing Transmission fluid in his 2001 Cr-v...

I guess there was a small piece of blue plastic funnel extended on the funnel he was using (his dad's funnel)..( 2 -3 inches long) ...he didn't even realize it dropped INTO THE Transmission -until later today when his Dad was asking where that piece went.. he is worried now.. :(

All excited about his car.. then this happened just a couple days later....he is not sure what to do !!..

Will the tranny fluid just EAT this up.. no problem...or could it jam something.. if he drains it.. will it come out - or may get stuck ??

Can anyone advise us what to do ??

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I would try to fish it out ASAP. You can use a metal coat hanger to fish it out 1st. Do you know how it looks like? If you can't fish it out with the fluid in the transmission. You might need to drain the fluid 1st then see if you can fish it out. Let me know.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I am not sure as I am not so well versed with the tranny of the CRV. Is he sure that the tubing went into the fill hole? If you could borrow a borescope. That would be the best, & then look if you could see it. Try to use a long nose pliers or even a very long nose pliers. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It could be a long shot you could also use a vacuum to try to suck it up, but you might need to drain the tranny 1st.
We just tried this...I got an inch of tranny fluid in my vacuum!!.. it was a good sucker.. but no such luck ! So he just put the the rest of the fluid back in.. and he's hoping for the best ! Been reading online.. seems a number of people have done this..... various cars.. who designed this stupid funnels with loose parts on them anyway... that's an accident waiting to happen depending on the opening size & how busy we may be.

He said so far he has only read ONE situation where the guy did have BAD tranny troubles a week later.. the rest seemed fine.. We'll see !

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I definitely there is a filter inside the tranny. I agree with you in regards about the funnel, they should make it secure so that nothing comes out unless its intentionally removed. I think you should be fine. You might get lucky the next time you drain the fluid that piece might come out with the old fluid.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Being a small piece of tubing, the filter should dtop it from touching any moving parts that could be damaged. The piece will more than likely just float around in the fluid pretty much like a fishing float. JMO, I would not worry about it. Good luck.
David g.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Usually when I end up changing my fluid I just remove the air filter box. There are only 2 bolts on top and then a snap type thing down in the wheel well. With the giant air box out of the way you can get to the fill hole. Maybe with a flash light you could see down in there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all.. I much enjoy forums.. have helped my husband in a pinch posting on Chevy forums when he has an issue..those guys are very helpful !

I must admit the CR-V is my DREAM Vehicle.. a little jealous son got such a good deal.. has hardly any rust.. he graphited the bottom when we got it home -a little less than a week ago.. runs perfectly.. 158,000 miles for $3,450 at a dealer.. we were the first to look at it!!

We live in the country with a treacherous 750 bendy uphill driveway...Winter is a challenge.. Husband NEEDS a 4x4 just to get out of it.. .If I ever want to get a full time job, I will need a 4x4...and yeah.. the CR-V is my 1st choice -beings the gas mileage, dependability, and winter driving.. We have a larger family (7 of us now, was 8)...so we've always had 3-seat Suburbans (fitting 9) -love them.. but HATE hate hate the gas mileage.

Ok... another question I have is...

Remember I am just the Mom... so excuse my ignorance (son & husband is not home to ask this)... but do these CR-V transmissions have a PAN underneath one could take off.. and possibly this plastic thing could be there.. Or is where you put the tranny fluid in like a reservoir- then it is FILTERED before it gets to Transmission Gears (I am hoping this is the answer)... and that pan is on THAT part of the tranny.. I am clueless.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Honda's don't have pans like American cars. You need to remove the whole transmission and take it apart to get to the screen. The only thing on the bottom is a small drain plug.

Has the timing belt been changed on yours? You should look into that and also adjusting the valves. As for gas milage, my 2000 gets between 25 and 29 mpg normally. My last fill up calculated at 27.5.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I was reading reviews about these.. someone said something about these valves needing adjusted..and if not.. to not buy the used car.. we did not know what they were talking about.. can you please give me more details..Husband is used to chevy's & he said the only times valves need adjusting is after a rebuild ... We have MUCH to learn about Honda'[email protected]#

He drove it today.. runs just fine (so far).. the only thing he has done SO FAR is ... change the tranny fluid -Honda brand only (it was as Black as dirt -I suppose this is an awful sign?)... and a stabilizer Pin in the back was busted.. so he replaced that ...

There is some sticker on the windshield about the oil not needing changed for another 2,000 miles. How does one know if the timing chain belt needed changed ???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You need to remove the whole transmission and take it apart to get to the screen.
what do you all think... are the parts in these honda tranny's all metal and likely this 2-3 inch piece of funnel plastic WON'T hurt anything.. is this screen protecting it from getting to the vital transmission parts.. or is the transmission parts delicate like paper and some hard plastic CAN mess with the gears and cause failure...for those of you who know what's inside these honda Transmissions..

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
This talks about the valves.
http://www.hondasuv.com/members/showthread.php?37551-How-to-adjust-your-valves-97-01-CRV

You should be able to reuse the gaskets. The most important thing to remember is always turn the crank bolt couter clockwise (loosen). If you turn it the other way you can mess up the timing belt adjustment.

I know nothing about the transmission internals.

Timing belt, not chain. It is suppose to be changed every 90,000 miles or 7 years. If it breaks the internal parts of the engine smack into each other and bad things happen. You can see the belt with the valve cover off, but you can't really tell how old it is. I just changed mine about a month ago and the old one looked good as new even though it was probably about 9 years old and had about 80-90,000 miles on it.

I used the following videos for reference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qriXJVH4ENE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VBebUg6LI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJEn63JbS9Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EFkxE4xIns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq_4jrXfJwQ

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would park the vehicle until I found out for sure there was a screen in the pathway that would block that 2-3" piece of plastic. That is relatively huge for something floating around inside a transmission. Better safe than sorry. That's just me though.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My guess is that the gears will make quick "work" of this plastic bit. All that hardened and tough steel can transmit lots of torque and horsepower and a bit of plastic will get ground to bits in no time and no consequence.

At one point oil was sold to industry in lightweight plastic containers for big gearboxes. Just throw the whole container into the gearbox. No waste and no spillage. And after all, those viscosity index improvers are polymers just like the plastic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts