Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 4 wheels from a used car parts place. Honda logo'd, supposedly off a 2011 CR-V, which is what they are going on. All 4 wheels have TPMS sensors on them.

The place I bought them from has another location that does mounting and balancing, so I'm taking the snow tires over to them tomorrow. I doubt they deal with programming the TPMS, but I didn't think to ask. I fully expect that the TPMS light will come on when I put the wheels on the car.

What are my options - other than tape over the light - ?

Do I need to know something about the sensors to have the CR-V programmed to recognize them, like a brand or model number? They all look that same, but I don't see any markings on them. Obviously I don't know if they even work. I assume that will be determined when (if) I try to get them programmed.

(Odds are SWMBO will be staring at a TPMS light for the rest of the winter, but I'm curious about what my options are anyway)

Thanks!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,191 Posts
Many tire stores have TPMS sensor reprogramming equipment these days. You SHOULD ask if they can do it.

If not you will need to go to a bigger tire chain store, or the dealer... Or, ignore/tape the light all winter.

(Remember, its dark out for a long time this time of year...If it was me taping the warning light, I would be driven NUTZ by the glow from behind the tape!) o_O

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many tire stores have TPMS sensor reprogramming equipment these days. You SHOULD ask if they can do it.

If not you will need to go to a bigger tire chain store, or the dealer... Or, ignore/tape the light all winter.

This isn't a tire store per se. It's a salvage company with multiple locations. All locations sell parts, but only one yard has bays for tire work. I bought the wheels at one location and had the snows mounted at another. These wheels, $85 each, Honda insert, B quality. Fine for winter, especially at that price..

Turns out the tire shop location does do TPMS. I didn't notice until after I wrote my OP that only 3 of the wheels had sensors. I asked them about the 3 out 4 sensors and how to handle it. They tested the 3 sensors and all were fine. They installed the 4th for $50. After I put the wheels on the car, I'll go back and they'll program them for free.

$110 for mounting & balancing 4 snows plus 1 sensor, programming included. I'm pretty happy with that deal.

Interesting fact: The location that does tires also has a huge Christmas tree farm on their property. Now that's what I call a diverse business model. :)

(Remember, its dark out for a long time this time of year...If it was me taping the warning light, I would be driven NUTZ by the glow from behind the tape!) o_O

Wouldn't bother me at all. It's SWMBO's car. :devilish:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts