Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm going for a more rugged, off-road look for my V, I decided to give plasti-dip a try since it's basically risk free (minus the cost of the cans) and so if you don't like it, just peel it off later. I watched a few DipYourCar videos on youtube to get the basics of successful dipping. I don't like to risk overspray getting places I can't reach and I don't like taping so the I removed the portion of the grill to be dipped first (body colored molding between the upper and lower grills). These pics are just preliminary as I am still waiting for the piece to dry fully before re-installing. I'll post more tomorrow when It's fully back together and sunny outside. If I go with just the H-Chrome look (2nd photo), I'll probably add a perforated/mesh grill behind it. Otherwise, I'll just stick with the stock chrome bars and H. Let me know which you like better :confused:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Honda cr-v

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Bumper

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hard to make a call here Mike. Maybe get us some better pics tomorrow.

Personally, I wasnt going to peel my letters on the plate trim when I did mine. But when I peeled it, it was everything I hoped for.

Flat black with a chrome badge, badass IMO.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are a couple more pics of it all back together (just chrome bars for now), along with a pic from before for comparison. I'll try get even better pics tomorrow, and maybe try the solo 'H' again too.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Luxury vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood

Before:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Honda

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive tire Tire

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hard to make a call here Mike. Maybe get us some better pics tomorrow.

Personally, I wasnt going to peel my letters on the plate trim when I did mine. But when I peeled it, it was everything I hoped for.

Flat black with a chrome badge, badass IMO.
What letters did you peel? I don't remember seeing pics of that.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to say, but the Plasti Dip treatment did not improve the looks of your CRV.
Thanks for the honesty. I'm still not sure what I think of it myself. I might try some other grill combos and then ultimately end up back where I started...

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Daytime pics

Daytime pics are a little more promising I think. Not sure chrome on black is what I'll keep though. I might do a aluminum perforated grill behind the 'H', lose the chrome bars, and blackout the 'H' and circle around it for a more contrast appearance. If I can manage to photoshop a mock-up, I'll post it later.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Honda cr-v

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Compact sport utility vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Honda

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
If it was mine I think I'd try dipping the bug deflector white and dipping the chrome bars surrounding the H black, leaving the body colored surround white.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it was mine I think I'd try dipping the bug deflector white and dipping the chrome bars surrounding the H black, leaving the body colored surround white.
That's the great thing about plasti-dip, you can try all sorts of combinations for little cost and easily reversible. I've got some perforated aluminum SS grill material on order and if I don't like how it turns out, I may reverse the colors like you suggest, return the body molding back to white, dip the deflector white, and then dip the SS grill black instead. Regardless of the final result I keep, it will be fun and inexpensive to try different combos etc.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Yeah, my son has had fun dipping different parts of his Dodge Ram 1500 pickup truck. It's black, and now it's just about ALL black.
And yeah, it's got a HEMI in it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Just an idea here...

The black and chrome trim under the grill, and the hood guard: Dip them solid white. Then dip the entire grill black, but peel the Honda logo. I think that would do it, for me anyways.

Like you said, it's easy to experiment and throw away with no consequence. They also recommend when going from bright to dark paint, or vise versa, to base it with the gunmetal grey dip.

I agree though that it does not look better, but it doesn't look worse either. Go with the flow, dip away =) I also say hit your badges on the rear with it. That always looks sharp.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an idea here...

The black and chrome trim under the grill, and the hood guard: Dip them solid white. Then dip the entire grill black, but peel the Honda logo. I think that would do it, for me anyways.

Like you said, it's easy to experiment and throw away with no consequence. They also recommend when going from bright to dark paint, or vise versa, to base it with the gunmetal grey dip.

I agree though that it does not look better, but it doesn't look worse either. Go with the flow, dip away =) I also say hit your badges on the rear with it. That always looks sharp.
I'm in agreement. It's not an improvement, yet, but it's not any worse either (in my opinion). I do plan on dipping the emblems on the back hatch too. I'll post back when I get that done.

Are you saying to dip the large/wide middle grill white (knowns as the lower grill usually)?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is what I'm talking about, it rough but I think this would be excellent!

Ah, I see where you're going with that. One thing to note is that the lower grill is fairly open except where the chrome trim is, so it wouldn't be a solid color. I have some SS perforated aluminum on order and will probably see how that goes with the current theme, and then try something else if it doesn't turn out.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
How long do parts dipped last in general with normal daily driving?

·
Registered
460 Posts
How white can you get with Plasti-dip? I am thinking about something for the front because I start seeing little rock chips from driving just in front of the hood. :mad:
If I can get it without so obvious that I put something on it, I just might do that instead, to protect against rock chips and bug splatter, does it come in clear color? :p

·
Registered
1,890 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
You can get it in clear.

And dip the entire car in clear: www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVHBuwgmvp4

Here's a gloss white dip which looks good: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovHo3BdAQjM
Hmm, After watching the before and after, it turned that bright black car, to somewhere in the gray spectrum, especially if you compare it to the side mirrors with the rest of the body at the end. Granted its suppose to be plastic and plastic does have a hard time shinning then say metallic colors on metal.

The matte white that they did on a BMW looks awesome actually. The black and white contrast, and doing multiple coats does actually make the vehicle a bright white.. Although it looked like it was cloudy out when they did the BMW instead of out in the sun like that Mercedes

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The clear seemed too dull for me, but yes the white looked really good.

I may play around with some clear dip on some chrome I have laying around in the garage before attempting it on the car. I was just watching some videos that using clear on chrome gives it a brushed nickel look which may not be a bad look, especially if you have some chrome that's scratched.

There's also a separate glossifier to give plasti dip that gloss finish.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm hoping for at least 2 to 5 years. I did put glossifier over the top to give it some shine but also for UV/fade protection. I worry that if they don't match paint color exactly, it will look funny (like trying to match 2 whites etc). I might try dip the badges on the tailgate tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.