Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was Honda thinking with the horns they put in these CRVs????? Talk about wimpy. I think I'm going to get a set from a 2007 Accord and swap them in. It's a much beefier sounding horn in the 2007....except they're $60 bucks a piece. :eek:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just did an Amazon search for 2007 Accord horns and the was a warning message saying "This Does Not Fit Your 2017 CRV". I guess Amazon is on to my me and my shenanigans. LOL

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I just did an Amazon search for 2007 Accord horns and the was a warning message saying "This Does Not Fit Your 2017 CRV". I guess Amazon is on to my me and my shenanigans. LOL
Could just be that it's not a listed fitment, but still fits. Since every single gen 5 is under warranty, I expect most parts places haven't bothered to update for the car. Heck, even though it's the same oil filter they've been using for over a decade, not even that is listed in many places.

That said, it could just be good insulation keeping you from hearing it, not a soft horn.

·
Registered
140 Posts
2017 CR'v horns are not plug and play with previous Hondas. Previous Hondas used one prong and the ground was a solid frame connection. The 2017+ Cr-V is a two prong because they mount to a plastic support bracket (the short bracket off the horn is metal, it ultimately connects to a plastic cross support). There is a lot more plastic supports on this vehicle. Not necessarily a bad thing, just part of the design.

I'm not saying it won't work, just an FYI as you will need a solid ground connection.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Yea, the horn is pretty weak. Not sure why they couldn't put a real one on it. Maybe something from say a 1972 Buick Electra 225? I used to own Miatas and that was one of the first mods we did. You want those semis to hear you since they can't see you.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Back in the dark ages, 1970 I believe, I bought a Fiat Spider that had an air horn. Loved that thing. If I was pissed off enough to honk at somebody I wanted them to know it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2017 CR'v horns are not plug and play with previous Hondas. Previous Hondas used one prong and the ground was a solid frame connection. The 2017+ Cr-V is a two prong because they mount to a plastic support bracket (the short bracket off the horn is metal, it ultimately connects to a plastic cross support). There is a lot more plastic supports on this vehicle. Not necessarily a bad thing, just part of the design.

I'm not saying it won't work, just an FYI as you will need a solid ground connection.
Hmmm, I may just have to live with a mousey horn.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Wolo air horn (Amazon) is small and easy to connect electrically. Need to find a place to mount it at the first oil change.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have an '11 CR-V. I just sold a '13 Mini Cooper and before that I had a '13 Scion FRS. I never heard the horn in any of these vehicles. While driving you can't take evasive action and blow the horn at the same time. Do you want to let someone know you're pissed at them or do you want to avoid an accident?

·
Registered
294 Posts
You can hit the horn to let somebody in front of you know the light has changed when they are not moving. You can blow your horn when you just avoided an accident to let the other apparently unaware driver know. Maybe he will be more alert next time. I am sure there are others that can think of reasons. But yes, in both the instances I stated I would also be pissed.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have an '11 CR-V. I just sold a '13 Mini Cooper and before that I had a '13 Scion FRS. I never heard the horn in any of these vehicles. While driving you can't take evasive action and blow the horn at the same time. Do you want to let someone know you're pissed at them or do you want to avoid an accident?
I'm totally with you on this. Didn't know my vehicles have horns. :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
83 Posts
City horn

It is a city horn. All the older European manufactured cars had "City" horns and "Road" horns. They had a toggle switch where you could switch between the different horns. And in the Orient and Europe one does not need a louder horn except on the faster motorways!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Horn was one of the first things I upgraded when I got the car.

If you really wanted to be obnoxious about it, stick an air compressor and air horn in there. There's enough room in the engine bay...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I get ya, but a horn comes in handy when someone is not paying attention while backing out of a parking space or when the thing on their phone is more interesting then the fact the light we're waiting for has turned green. There IS a reason car companies have put horns on cars since the beginning of time.

·
Registered
320 Posts
What was Honda thinking with the horns they put in these CRVs????? Talk about wimpy. I think I'm going to get a set from a 2007 Accord and swap them in. It's a much beefier sounding horn in the 2007....except they're $60 bucks a piece. :eek:
I have had the crv 17 for about 4 months now- Never used the horn. I tried it yesterday after seeing this thread- you are right it is weak but not a big deal for me.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts