Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I hope someone can advise me on my problem. I have all the symptoms of a failed high pressure diesel fuel pump. I own a 2011 CRV i-DTEC 2.2. The car stalled in slow moving traffic on the motorway and wouldn't start. After being towed home, I plugged in a cheap OBD diagnostic machine and the code read P0087-Fuel/rail system pressure too low.I took it to my mechanic friend who took the diesel pump off and removed the sensor and there was swarf/metal debris/iron filings inside.It is also won't turn.

The car has done a lot of miles 155,000 but is regularly serviced. The last service I did was 7,000 miles ago and included the fuel filter. I haven't put any petrol in the car since I've owned it which is a little under 1 year.

I have sourced a used pump for £200 from a 60000 mile accord which I will install at the same time as a new fuel filter. However, I have a concern that the metal debris that is evident within the pump could have gone through the rest of the fuel system, injectors, engine cylinders and into the tank. So before I install the replacement pump and start her up, can anyone answer the following queries:-

1. Apart from the main fuel filter, which I assume is before/upstream of the pump, is there any other filters that would catch any metal debris debris from a failed pump from working it's way through the system?
2. If a pump is replaced, is rest of the system inspected prior installing a replacement and how is this done? Is there a fuel tank inspection cover that can be removed?
3. If there is metal debris in the pump, is it assumed that the whole system must be changed?

From an engineering perspective, I will take apart the old pump to see if there are any signs of metal passing through, particularly the valves.

I am gutted. I have owned the car less than a year and paid £5500 and it sounds like if the metal debris is in the rest of the system, the car isn't worth fixing. I probably paid more than I should for the car initial but I was put in a difficult situation where I had a buy a replacement car quickly as someone wrote off my other CRV which I had owned for 3 years, was 100% reliable and had over 185000 miles.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Robin

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
It's from the worn pump only, I guess, doubt there's something upstream. The rest of the system up to injectors can be flushed at the time of pump replacement. You need to do a leak test anyway to rule out jammed injectors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello mrtn,

Thank you for the reply. I bought a 2nd hand HP diesel pump and the mechanic fitted it. There is no pressure in the common rail but it is getting fuel. We tested this by taking the fuel hose off between the filter and the HP fuel pump and turned the engine over so that we could see that the low pressure fuel pump at the tank is working. We also tipped some of that fuel into a clean bucket, stuck a magnet in it and there is particles of ferrous metal in the fuel. The injectors were not flushed out. We released the injector leak back pipes and the mechanic didn't seem to think that there was anything unusual about the quantity of fuel he was seeing.

What I gather from this is that the original HP diesel fuel pump disintegrated and a load of metal particles and swarf is now present in the entire fuel system. It's not worth replacing all the fuel system. However, is it not worth stripping the fuel system, flushing the pipes, common rail and tank out, replacing the low pressure and high pressure fuel pumps with 2nd hand and reconditioning or replacing the injectors? Although it's high pressure, as a system goes, it doesn't seem all that complicated. I have industrial cleaning equipment here including ultrasonic. I also design high pressure pumps up to 3000bar so am savy when it comes to pipe connections.

What are your thoughts? Will the injectors need calibrating?

Thanks.

Robin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.