Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2003 Honda CR-V EX (160,000 miles) into the dealership with a list of things that needed checked:#1 My Low beams were not working #2 My check engine light was on #3 I can no longer put my key into either door lock therefore never lock it #4 Oil change #5 My hatch light was blinking on and off causing the dome light to come on and off.

#1 Was due to a recall I was unaware of and will be fixed at no charge
#2 Threw out 3 codes: first code was for the Intake Manifold control valve that must be fixed ($511.38)
second code was for an 02 sensor ($416.02)
third code was for VTEC Selonoid ($207.42)
*The 2nd and 3rd code was remedied by an oil change and may or may not come back??

#3 The locks must be re drilled for $89.00 a lock so ($178.00)
#4 Threw in the oil change for free (gee thanks)
#5 They tightened some bolts and screws and remedied the back door latch

They also suggested I should do some maintenance of a drive belt, spark plugs, valve adjustment, and a new intake tube (which is cracked) for ($364.07) This stuff really is due to be done, but I felt this price was a bit high.

They suggested these fluid changes also: Transmission ($200), Brake ($100), Power Steering ($100), 4WD ($85), Coolant ($160)
Once again, all of these do need attention, but I feel these are a bit pricey. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm also a woman and just don't want to be taken advantage of.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,895 Posts
X2, get another opinion, preferably from an independent Honda repair shop near you.

We have a couple here in North NJ that I recommend to folks (though I'm sure there are more nearby). These shops know the value of genuine Honda fluids and only use the "good stuff". Plus, they see enough cars to develop an expertise about what causes what to go wrong. Their labor charges are MUCH less than the dealer's.

Those suggested fluid replacements are all beneficial. Unless you have documentation that they were performed in the past, it's a good idea to do them as soon as your pocketbook permits.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dealership always charged more, too much more, 02 sensor at $400 plus?, i know it is pricey but at that price!

Why do they need to re-drill the lock? I have never come across or known this issue...I would argue factory defect..

Find a good old independent mechanic

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 2003 engine doesn't use a timing belt. Honda transitioned to a steel "chain" sometime before 2002. ( I bought a couple of new 2002s, a 2003 a 2005, a 2006 and a 2012) The timing chain is good for the life of the engine.

Just thinking.........don't you have the remote door lock transmitter? If not, that may be cheaper to obtain than getting new door locks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 2003 engine doesn't use a timing belt. Honda transitioned to a steel "chain" sometime before 2002. ( I bought a couple of new 2002s, a 2003 a 2005, a 2006 and a 2012) The timing chain is good for the life of the engine.
Timing chains stretch and should be checked every 80-90K miles. My friend Wayne has a 03 CRV AT and his chain jumped teeth at 120K miles. He'd never had it checked before, so it stretched, jumped teeth, and had to be replaced. The car is undrivable when the timing is a whole tooth off, so he could get it started by revving the hell out of it, but had to get it towed to a shop to get it fixed. The same exact thing happened to my sister-in-law's 02 CRV AT at 80K miles. Same story with hers - undrivable.

Neither of them owned their cars from new, so it is possible that they could have been beat on, but the above should be proof positive that timing chains do have a lifespan and don't last forever.

To the OP - ALL of those prices seem ridiculously high. I'd go somewhere else.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I took my 2003 Honda CR-V EX (160,000 miles) into the dealership with a list of things that needed checked:#1 My Low beams were not working #2 My check engine light was on #3 I can no longer put my key into either door lock therefore never lock it #4 Oil change #5 My hatch light was blinking on and off causing the dome light to come on and off.

#1 Was due to a recall I was unaware of and will be fixed at no charge
#2 Threw out 3 codes: first code was for the Intake Manifold control valve that must be fixed ($511.38)
second code was for an 02 sensor ($416.02)
third code was for VTEC Selonoid ($207.42)
*The 2nd and 3rd code was remedied by an oil change and may or may not come back??

#3 The locks must be re drilled for $89.00 a lock so ($178.00)
#4 Threw in the oil change for free (gee thanks)
#5 They tightened some bolts and screws and remedied the back door latch

They also suggested I should do some maintenance of a drive belt, spark plugs, valve adjustment, and a new intake tube (which is cracked) for ($364.07) This stuff really is due to be done, but I felt this price was a bit high.

They suggested these fluid changes also: Transmission ($200), Brake ($100), Power Steering ($100), 4WD ($85), Coolant ($160)
Once again, all of these do need attention, but I feel these are a bit pricey. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm also a woman and just don't want to be taken advantage of.
I know exactly what you mean. My car has never been anywhere but the dealer for anything. It seems like when there is a light or other problem, they always recommend about $100-$200 worth of other stuff...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts