Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's the best mpg i got so far. AWD touring has 3k+ miles. I've been getting better mpg lately, my guess is the weather getting warmer here in NYC helps.
Here is the pic I took on tonight's trip back home from work.
22.5 miles, 95% highway, eco mode off, ac off. 42.1 mpg (I drove mostly on speed around 50mph, normal throttle input)
0.9 miles, city miles, eco mode off, ac on. 17.4 mpg
24.6 miles, 90% highway, eco mode off, ac on. 34.9 mpg
0.3 miles, city miles, eco mode off, ac on. 19.2

20170501_230025.jpg

·
Registered
337 Posts
I thought cooler air was best for a turbo? I mean its not hot out a nice cool breeze but a hot day wont produce much power then a cooler air. Since the turbo can compress the cooler air better. The summer gas definitely made a difference on mine. I live in nyc also. I went from 22.5 mpg to 25mpg on mix driving. 3k as well need to change the oil soon timer says its at %20

·
Registered
430 Posts
Your right, turbo's prefer cooler intake temps. My GTI loves 40-60 deg weather, you can feel it in the seat of your pants. The more dense compressed air as sensed by the ECU, the engine will add more fuel to match.

Also, I think the CR-V runs really rich during the warm up period after the first start of the day (takes longer to warm up in the cold temps of winter)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
In my experience warmer air (up until you have to turn on the A/C) has always been better for efficiency. I don't know exactly why, I expect there's a lot of different factors, many of which cancel each other out.

Cold air (once the engine oil warms up) indisputably helps out performance, for any car.

In other news, I've been very impressed with the MPG on my CR-V. I'm getting 29.7 average with mixed driving over the life of the car so far. Just did a highway trip over the weekend, 37, some at high speeds, some with the A/C running at a decent clip.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thats great but not a huge surprise. You drove 50 mph on the highway. You are likely the only person on the planet that drives 50mph on the highway. Here in upstate NY (highway speed limit 65) the average speed is about 72mph. I remember reading years ago that 65mph burns about 15% more fuel than driving 55.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I find that holding any steady speed up to about 60mph will keep my mpg well above 40. Unfortunately for me, missed lights, stop signs, and inconsistent traffic flow means those periods are fewer than I'd like. However, when they do happen, my avg mpg starts moving up quickly. For my 15 mile commute to work each day, I avg 33 with 50/50 city/hwy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats great but not a huge surprise. You drove 50 mph on the highway. You are likely the only person on the planet that drives 50mph on the highway. Here in upstate NY (highway speed limit 65) the average speed is about 72mph. I remember reading years ago that 65mph burns about 15% more fuel than driving 55.
I drove around that speed range because i am afraid to get a speeding ticket. Most of the highway limit are 50mph in NYC. Got a 35mph over 50mph 8pts ticket few years back. My commercial driver license only has 9 pts total to spare. Unfortunately i need to protect my license for my job to not speeding....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know anything but best mileage is with ECO mode off?
I wasnt intend to get the best mileage out of this trip. It was just a normal trip back home from work. It was just a suprise to see that i got over 40mpg after i check the screen. I dont use eco mode and i hate it lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts