Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 crv with 60,000 has already had the actuator replaced only a month ago and its already making the noise. Scheduled to take it to the dealer Monday. I guess there still is no solution??? I just want it documented that I've taken it in several times. I guess I may live with it. I like putting 200,000 plus on my vehicles before replacing them. Not sure about this one???

Thanks. If you have the solution please advise. HAHAHA.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,879 Posts
There really isn't any solution for this issue. Honda says that it's not causing any harm to the engine. You will have plenty of documentation, so you should be covered if there is a problem down the line. I've never had mine replaced but I do get the noise occasionally. I plan to keep the V until I hit 200K and I have no doubts that it will make it to that mileage.

·
Registered
112 Posts
There is actually a good solution but you have to provide it - an oil pan heater -if you plug this in for about 1 hr before first start of day you wont ever get the vtc rattle -it is also very good for life of engine as almost all wear is from cold starts.I just have mine routed to a plug tie-wrapped to front license plate.(actually have oem block heater&oil pan heater both on that one plug.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I watched several threads related to the VTC Actuator - Honda did change the part. The folks who have had it replaced recently stated they hadn't had the issue reoccur.

I ended up paying out of pocket to get mine fixed (the dealer was nice enough to knock $150 off for the labor I'm guessing) because I was way out of warranty and my previous dealership did not notate my concerns with enough detail to indicate I'd mentioned it during the warranty. My car had made the lovely grinding noise since I got it - but intermittently and wasn't ever reproducible at the dealership - but over the last year had done it pretty much every startup.

I had it fixed a month ago and have not had it reoccur.

If you're still in warranty or can get it done through warranty, I'd say the new part version is worth a try at this point.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts