Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2016 CRV - LX AWD (my wife's car) and I noticed the front tires were balding bad on the outside thread compared to the back tires (they looked fine) at just 20k miles. I read the Honda CR-V owners manual which stated

Replace your tires with radials of the same size, load range,
speed rating, and
maximum cold tire pressure rating

the Honda Spec tires are

215 / 70 R16 100S

So off I went and purchased two new Sumitomo 215/70R16. The new tires went onto the back with the good originals going to the front along with a front end alignment.

I did a little research on the subject that stated modern Honda CRV-s don't need four exact tires. (via 4x4abc.com)

"This is mainly true for older automatic AWD systems that use a viscous coupling to activate the other axle.
However, some of the automatic AWD systems are more robust than others (mainly the recent models) and a tire size difference does not immediately lead to an expensive repair. The Honda CRV and the Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) are among them. The more robust systems employ Haldex couplings, Gerodisc couplings or hydraulic pump systems (Honda) to activate the mostly dormant axle when needed."

So my question is do people on this forum with AWD Honda CR-Vs typically get 2 or 4 new tires when needed? Should I have any worries with only two new tires? Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
126 Posts
We have a 2016 CRV - LX AWD (my wife's car) and I noticed the front tires were balding bad on the outside thread compared to the back tires (they looked fine) at just 20k miles. I read the Honda CR-V owners manual which stated

Replace your tires with radials of the same size, load range,
speed rating, and
maximum cold tire pressure rating

the Honda Spec tires are

215 / 70 R16 100S

So off I went and purchased two new Sumitomo 215/70R16. The new tires went onto the back with the good originals going to the front along with a front end alignment.

I did a little research on the subject that stated modern Honda CRV-s don't need four exact tires. (via 4x4abc.com)

"This is mainly true for older automatic AWD systems that use a viscous coupling to activate the other axle.
However, some of the automatic AWD systems are more robust than others (mainly the recent models) and a tire size difference does not immediately lead to an expensive repair. The Honda CRV and the Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) are among them. The more robust systems employ Haldex couplings, Gerodisc couplings or hydraulic pump systems (Honda) to activate the mostly dormant axle when needed."

So my question is do people on this forum with AWD Honda CR-Vs typically get 2 or 4 new tires when needed? Should I have any worries with only two new tires? Thanks for any feedback.
Replacing just two tires will not affect the car mechanically since the car is primary a fwd most of the time. Replacing it with mismatch tires can lead to unpredictable handling concern due to different tires have different handling characteristic.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Let me start by saying, we don't have AWD, just a lowly FWD. That being said, I'd worry more about the difference in rolling diameter between the old and new tires before worrying about speed ratings or load ratings.
A difference in diameter is going to cause havoc with the system, regardless of how 'robust' it is.
I would replace all four tires if it were my vehicle. Tires are a lot cheaper to replace than the AWD system, IMO.

·
Registered
2018 Honda CR-V EX-L Lunar Silver
139 Posts
Consider having the front end aligned to eliminate the wear on the outside of the tire.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ideal method would be to have ALL matching set of tires. Preferred method would be to at least have matching tires at each axle. DIY method commonly mistakens the need of similar tires at ALL. Definitely get an alignment to correct the camber angle so you don’t wear these new pair of tires in 20k miles.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,776 Posts
Correct alignment and tire pressures always help tire longevity. As a pure FWd vehicle tire life if not rotated will be short.
I've rotated my 16 AWD tires and expect a bit more than 40k.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The original tires are continental 215/70 R16. Width, sidewall, and diameter are all identical. Speed has one as S and the other as T (112mph vs 118 rating).

The front end was aligned with the install.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts