1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello friends!

I just changed my spark plugs after 103,400 miles
i dont know if they were changed before but i just did it

they spark plugs actually were kind of fine, they could last a little longer, it had Denso sparks, i replaced them with NGK!

They Gap of the old ones, were still more o less fine, maybe a little over 0.043, but fine. incredible, right

20130928_172846.jpg
20130928_172927.jpg
20130928_173002.jpg

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
The benefits of fuel injection, unleaded gas and platinum tips on the plugs.
Let us know how it runs on the NGK's, OK?

·
Registered
460 Posts
If I remember correctly:

Copper spark plugs - replace every 50-60 K miles
Platinum plugs - replace every 100-110 K miles
Iridium plugs - replace every 130 - 140 K miles

Well, that is what I have read online.. I know my 89 corolla I replace them every 60K miles, it did help fuel economy. I should have replace my o2 sensor 15 K miles ago, but since I was retiring it soon I just did oil changes.

The rav4 has iridium spark plugs and the manual says 120 K miles or 10 years which ever comes first.

Wonder if you can upgrade your platinum to iridium spark plug? Since I know engines are picky about spark plugs...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the benefits of fuel injection, unleaded gas and platinum tips on the plugs.
Let us know how it runs on the ngk's, ok?
ok, it is running great, i just replaced them yesterday, i will update if anything different happens

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if i remember correctly:

Copper spark plugs - replace every 50-60 k miles
platinum plugs - replace every 100-110 k miles
iridium plugs - replace every 130 - 140 k miles

well, that is what i have read online.. I know my 89 corolla i replace them every 60k miles, it did help fuel economy. I should have replace my o2 sensor 15 k miles ago, but since i was retiring it soon i just did oil changes.

The rav4 has iridium spark plugs and the manual says 120 k miles or 10 years which ever comes first.

Wonder if you can upgrade your platinum to iridium spark plug? Since i know engines are picky about spark plugs...
according to my manual, i should have replaced them at 110,000 miles using the iridium plugs.
To my understanding you should use the ones stated for the type of car you drive to make it more reliable and fuel economy.
So i dont think it is a good idea to just change them like that, specially when you are dealing with something so critical as your sparks

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I remember changing out my plugs on my high mileage 2000 CRV, not for any peticular reason other than I was towing a camper and figured it couldn't hurt.

Didn't notice any mileage drop or spark problems, just thought I'd be proactive. These things seem to last forever.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,058 Posts
I changed my plugs recently (120K miles) and had the same findings: The gap (amazingly!) was with spec on all the old units. (1.0-1.1MM)

Granted, there was some buildup/material transfer onto the ground electrode, but Hey...
I bought NGKs as well, and all the gaps were good "out of the box"

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
My brother changed his (an Accord) for the first time at around 176,000 miles and they looked pretty darn good. No increase in mpg or power was noted with the new plugs. Most of his driving was highway.
He was just happy that they came out OK. :)
Buffalo4

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wish I had a picture for you all, I have had my '06 CRV since new and replaced the plugs for the first time at ~220k miles. The gap was still spot on the factory spec, 0.043. Went ahead and replaced them anyway since I already had the new ones. No noticeable difference in performance or MPG according to ScanGauge.

·
Registered
776 Posts
At that rate, I better circle somewhere in 2025 to at least freshen them up a bit and regap !! Congrats - they look pretty damn good. Craig

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I'll bet those were the originals. Can't go wrong with putting new ones in there. The NGKs should prove out to be ok. Keep us informed if you have issues. Personally I would change them out around 60,000 miles.

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll bet those were the originals. Can't go wrong with putting new ones in there. The NGKs should prove out to be ok. Keep us informed if you have issues. Personally I would change them out around 60,000 miles.

Enjoy the ride.
That was a year ago. I have not have any issues s far. Most likely I would chage them at that mileage, too dont forget to change also the coils that go hand hand with the plugs

·
Registered
442 Posts
How much are you paying for the new plugs?
you get the NGK iridiums at autozone for 40 bucks. I changed mine last week as I was noticing a drop in mileage last few months, i only have 137k kms on my 07 crv. The old ones looked worn out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts