Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring Modern Steel
37 Posts
Downloaded last night. It's snowing here so debating whether to install now or later. Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
How did you get them? And is it easy to do, shouldn't the dealers be doing this to cars that are still under warranty

·
Enforcer
1,856 Posts
How did you get them? And is it easy to do, shouldn't the dealers be doing this to cars that are still under warranty
Ed,

Not sure if we Brits have the same maps - I have fired off an email to Honda UK to find out.

I'll update if/when they reply.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Ed,

Not sure if we Brits have the same maps - I have fired off an email to Honda UK to find out.

I'll update if/when they reply.
Just go through the update process ( also detailed in the owners manual) which will also point you to the Garmin site below. There is a new update for North America on the Garmin site, unsure when the UK or Europe updates are available but following this process you should see if an update is available for your vehicle.

·
Enforcer
1,856 Posts
I must be blind as I cant see one for the UK.

Not to worry. Hopefully Honda UK will respond before long.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I must be blind as I cant see one for the UK.

Not to worry. Hopefully Honda UK will respond before long.
I think that just following the recommended process for prepping the usb in your vehicle and loading the Garmin express app, it will search for relevant updates for you and install them.
The whole process is quite automatic without any real input needed from the users.

·
Enforcer
1,856 Posts
I'll give it another go in the morning.

Too cold to be doing it now this evening. I'll circle back if I (likely!) encounter issues! 👍

·
Registered
331 Posts
The update process is pretty smart and “dummy proof”. You won’t end up with an installed North American map showing your location in the middle of the ocean :). Be prepared for up to a few hours to download from your computer to the usb but the process to upload from the usb to your vehicle should be done in under 30 minutes approx.

·
Enforcer
1,856 Posts
The update process is pretty smart and “dummy proof”. You won’t end up with an installed North American map showing your location in the middle of the ocean :). Be prepared for up to a few hours to download from your computer to the usb but the process to upload from the usb to your vehicle should be done in under 30 minutes approx.
😂

That made me laugh....although, talking of being in the ocean...I remember some months ago, I was traipsing in Wales....very clearly AWAY from the coastland about 1000ft up a hill/mountainside....must be that the Welsh have no satnav coverage....since it plonked me right it the middle of the Atlantic.

Thankfully, the dry surroundings were pretty good indicators that I hadnt drowned. LOL

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring Modern Steel
37 Posts
Installed update to CR-V, took 14 minutes after starting process. Much longer to download.

·
Registered
2015 CRV AWD EX-L, 2020 CRV AWD Hybrid Touring
45 Posts
Interesting, when I go check Garmin's site, it says the software is are Ver 4.02, and the maps are US& Canada 2020.0, I believe, and are "up to date"...are your's marked w/ a 21 indicator?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Mine had a 21 indicator
north america nt 2021 is indicated on the version display in the car
Just a thought, did you prep a formatted blank usb in your car before connecting to your computor?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Also, I learned--make sure the USB stick is not flashing before you remove it from your PC after the "write to USB" step. I pulled it when the Garmin window on my desktop said "finished and remove"-the USB light was on the side I could not see-it got to 95% in the car and "failed". I reinstalled the update per the Garmin instructions (it did not download again, just re-wrote to the USB) and this time I waited for the USB to stop flashing. Success installing in the car. As posted, about 15 minutes for the in-car step.

·
Registered
532 Posts
So the procedure is to download the update onto a USB drive, at least 16BG capacity. Then take the USB drive to the CRV and plug it in to upgrade. I wonder why we can't do it directly from the CRV and skip the USB step. I believe the CRV is connected to our WIFI. This could be done overnight.

With that said, recently I noticed I was driving off the road onto the grass, over the fields while following the in-car navigation. Thanks to the CRV's awesome off-road capabilities, I ended up back on the road again eventually without a scratch. I thought my navigation was already at the end of its life cycle. Wasn't thinking about updating it so this is helpful. However, I rarely use the nav system and the very few times I used it I was forcing myself to use something that I felt I paid for to get my money worth. What's the point if we all have smart phones and data plans and google map? Also if I was driving on the freeway and decide to go to somewhere instead, I am not going to pull over to the emergency lane just so I can enter the address for it to look up. In-car nav system is a relic, much like a stand-alone GPS unit. Wish they put in something else, like in-car TV instead of the nav.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine had a 21 indicator
north america nt 2021 is indicated on the version display in the car
Just a thought, did you prep a formatted blank usb in your car before connecting to your computor?
Yes, I followed all the instructions, including downloading the Garmin Express tool on the computer, putting a blank USB in the car for it to write the map key to the USB, then plugging the USB into the Garmin Installer to register the Map. The Garmin Express for Mac tool recognizes I have a 2020 CRV Map, but says it is up to date... I did not check the vehicle display to see what that version is. See Images below from Garmin Express.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This seems to show your usb is not connected? You should get a green light on the Honda button.
That is correct, but you don't need the USB connected to check for updated maps...at least that was my understanding. As a matter of fact, the documentation for Garmin Express implies that once you connect the usb and register it, Garmin Express will notify you when an update is available.

But, that said, I will try it w/ the USB connected and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts