Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed an installation of a Pioneer AVIC 7000NEX into my 2012 Honda CRV EX. I retained the use of the steering wheel controls (not the bluetooth buttons) with the ASWC-1 unit. I can still get into all the maintenance menus and change settings on the i-mid -- everything except the clock. I can access the clock settings but not change the hours or minutes. I know this is a relatively small thing but it's extremely frustrating to see two different times displayed.

Is there anyone who has an aftermarket headunit that has had this issue and figured out how to overcome it? I've searched and read a number of things from try adjusting time with the headunit off, to with the engine off and key to accessory position - even mentions of this being a parking break issue? I am unsure if that would create a problem? I did ground the parking break wire coming from the pioneer harness so that i could do a motion bypass on the unit.

If anyone has experienced this issue your input would be appreciated!

IMG_0839.jpg

·
Registered
704 Posts
Im curious... are you saying you can control every i-mid screen feature (except for time setup) through the steering wheel controls? I was reluctant to changing my stereo unit on 2013 CRV (Its SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS!!!) because of the imid integration, and I feared losing the ability to navigate imid etc. I guess I never thought about using solely the wheel buttons for this purpose. Will check when I get to my car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep i can control all the other windows for the i-mid. I'd always used the steering wheel controls to navigate the i-mid prior to installing the nav. Pretty sure the ability to change backup camera view is gone, though can't say i ever used any view other than the default before. The i-mid screen no longer changes when i am on different sources, can't view radio page or ipod, etc. That doesn't bother me as i now have those on the touchscreen.

I can still access wallpaper, maintenance menus, car door/light settings and clock - just can't change the settings on clock. On all the other pages i can change the settings. I read some people who say they can't reset maintenance reminders, i have not experienced that - they reset just fine.

Also no issues with steering wheel controls trying to control head unit and i-mid at the same time. If i click menu the controls know to associate with the i-mid and not the head unit.

·
Registered
2014, Honda, CR-V
14 Posts
I'm looking in to doing a similar setup (Pioneer 8000NEX) for my 2014 CR-V. I think for the bluetooth controls, the PAC rp4-hd11 steering wheel interface will work. No idea on the clock other then waiting until 1 pm and disconnecting then reconnecting the battery. Is this still a problem on the 2014 model (or maybe latest i-mid firmware)? I can set the clock purely with the steering wheel controls, but I'm not sure if that is any different then the 2013 model. I'm thinking about taking out the factory unit to see what happens. Not being able to set the time would be annoying.

If it is a firmware issue, I think the firmware can be updated by buying a day pass: https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp

I found that link on a forum, but I didn't save the link to the forum message. They said firmware is updated over bluetooth using a Windows based PC. I have no idea if this is accurate though.

Thanks for including the picture. I was trying to envision what it would look like in mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I too could setup clock with just the steering wheel controls, that's how i'd always done it. However it looks like the problem is the CRV needs the stock radio to set the clock. I technically could plug the stock back in and then change the time but i've soldered in new wired so that would be a hassle. Thanks for the link, i'll look into it and upgrade firmware and see what happens.

I've read on a few different sites people saying that disconnecting the battery doesn't make the car lose time info, but my time was correct before i disconnected and incorrect when i reconnected. So i'm guessing if its disconnected after an extended amount of time it will reset to 12:00 as mine seemed to. I had it disconnected for the 4 hours i was installing. This weekend i may unplug the battery in the morning and let it sit for awhile and reconnect at noon.

Otherwise - i've been ignoring the difference. I really love the NEX unit and it's been working great for me with bypass as well. Looking forward to getting carplay update this summer.

·
Registered
2014, Honda, CR-V
14 Posts
I too could setup clock with just the steering wheel controls, that's how i'd always done it. However it looks like the problem is the CRV needs the stock radio to set the clock. I technically could plug the stock back in and then change the time but i've soldered in new wired so that would be a hassle. Thanks for the link, i'll look into it and upgrade firmware and see what happens.

I've read on a few different sites people saying that disconnecting the battery doesn't make the car lose time info, but my time was correct before i disconnected and incorrect when i reconnected. So i'm guessing if its disconnected after an extended amount of time it will reset to 12:00 as mine seemed to. I had it disconnected for the 4 hours i was installing. This weekend i may unplug the battery in the morning and let it sit for awhile and reconnect at noon.

Otherwise - i've been ignoring the difference. I really love the NEX unit and it's been working great for me with bypass as well. Looking forward to getting carplay update this summer.
I was just reading the docs on the PAC RadioPro4 (RP4-HD11) and it says it allows the cars factory clock to be set as long as you don't have the version of the car with navigation and subwoofer. I just ordered the RadioPro4 and 8000NEX. Hopefully I will not be pulling my battery twice a year to set the clock.

The docs for the RP4 are here: http://www.pac-audio.com/PACProductData/RP4-HD11/1_Instructions/rp4-hd11_instructions_102313.pdf

·
Registered
704 Posts
I can't help with the clock issue, but I have questions about the ASWC-1. I have read that if you press the hang-up or pick-up button on the HFL controls at the right time during the programming sequence that the ASWC will pick up the HFL controls as well as the audio controls.

from documentation
8) For vehicles with OE Bluetooth buttons please press hang up or pick up on your steering wheel control after the LED on the ASWC goes solid. If the OE Bluetooth buttons are able to be used, the LED will go out after three seconds. Your OE Bluetooth buttons are now programmed to your aftermarket radios Bluetooth buttons. (Aftermarket radio must have Bluetooth capabilities)

Did you try this exact setup process? I am trying to determine if the issue is that the i-Mid simply doesn't pass the HFL button presses onto the CAN Bus that the ASWC is connected to. According to the wiring diagrams, all the steering buttons connect to the i-Mid unit first. I have read that others have used a second ASWC or PAC to capture the HFL buttons and connect with other audio control ASWC via y-cable to the headunit. this seems expensive - I'm looking for a work-around before I pull the trigger on a new head-unit as I want all steering controls to work.

(EDIT) sorry - i double checked - the HFL buttons are connected to the HFL unit which in turn connects to the i-Mid and Audio unit via the Honda GA_NET Bus. Still, it is plausible all button presses might show up on the CAN bus that the ASWC connects to.

·
Registered
2014, Honda, CR-V
14 Posts
I was looking at the ASWC-1 first, but decided to go with the RP4-HD11 instead because I think it takes care of the clock problem. According to the RP4-HD11 docs, the hangup/pickup buttons do not use the CAN bus. The RP4 supports those buttons by hard wiring to them.

·
Registered
704 Posts
[EDIT remove error post

·
Registered
2014, Honda, CR-V
14 Posts
According to PAC website the RP4-HD11 is not compatible with CRV. What car did you put it in?
I have not yet put it in, but if you look at vehicle applications section for the module on the website (http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=1196&CategoryID=26) it supports the Honda Civic 2012-2014 and the Honda CR-V 2012-2014. It also came up in the website vehicle search and the connectors look right. Where are you seeing otherwise? Were you looking at one of the other versions of the RP4?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have not yet put it in, but if you look at vehicle applications section for the module on the website (http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=1196&CategoryID=26) it supports the Honda Civic 2012-2014 and the Honda CR-V 2012-2014. It also came up in the website vehicle search and the connectors look right. Where are you seeing otherwise? Were you looking at one of the other versions of the RP4?
Thanks. You are correct - I don't know why I didn't see that first time I looked. Looks promising. Please post an update once you get this installed. Would like to know if both audio controls and hands-free controls work as well as ability to set clock as advertised.

·
Registered
2014, Honda, CR-V
14 Posts
Thanks. You are correct - I don't know why I didn't see that first time I looked. Looks promising. Please post an update once you get this installed. Would like to know if both audio controls and hands-free controls work as well as ability to set clock as advertised.
Just put the 8000NEX in with the RadioPro4. The setting the clock and bluetooth/steering wheel controls are all functional. Works as advertised.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Just put the 8000NEX in with the RadioPro4. The setting the clock and bluetooth/steering wheel controls are all functional. Works as advertised.
Very encouraging. Thanks a bunch for the update. If you use an Apple device for music and/or phone, I would also be curious how well the 'Apple Car Play' works (especially Siri voice control capabilities) once Pioneer puts out their next NEX firmware/software update to support it.

·
Registered
2014, Honda, CR-V
14 Posts
Very encouraging. Thanks a bunch for the update. If you use an Apple device for music and/or phone, I would also be curious how well the 'Apple Car Play' works (especially Siri voice control capabilities) once Pioneer puts out their next NEX firmware/software update to support it.
It was just announced that the CarPlay update should be out in 2-3 weeks. I'll post on it after it arrives. Love the radio so far. I have not changed out the factory speakers yet and it still sounds 10 times better. RadioPro4 is working very nice. No need to modify the car wiring except for the bluetooth buttons. Don't buy the Metra dash kit. It isn't a good fit. The Scosche dash kit is much better.

·
Registered
203 Posts
With 8000NEX + RadioPro4, what functions do you lose if any?

·
Registered
2014, Honda, CR-V
14 Posts
Factory microphone (next to the overhead lights) is the only factory function I lost. Setting clock, backup camera, importing/setting wallpaper, vehicle information, steering wheel volume/next track, and bluetooth buttons all work. There are navigation wires for vehicle speed, etc. from the RadioPro4 that integrate with the 8000NEX. I grounded the parking brake wire on the 8000NEX harness so my passenger isn't limited by the mobility lock. I plan to buy the auto dimming mirror kit and route the microphone along the same path. Then affix the microphone to the mirror conduit. I also had to run my own USB cables. The existing USB still works for importing wallpaper. I couldn't figure out how to remove the center console, so I ran one USB to a small plastic piece right above the center console and the other to the glove box. Used PAC 3/4" hole mountable USB cables. The small piece of plastic can be replaced for a few bucks from the Honda parts store, so seemed like a good place to drill a hole. I mounted the GPS antenna directly above the radio with magnet under the sensor. It is all plastic in that area and gets good reception. The FM radio antenna has an extra blue cable for boosting reception. That is connected to a 300 mA output on the back of the 8000NEX. Since I moved from the Metra dash kit to the Scosche dash kit, it looks and feels like a factory system– only better. I like how the silver stripe on the bottom of the 8000NEX matches the silver stripe around the air vents.

FYI, I have a 2014 CR-V EX AWD (I prefer cloth seats), but I don't think it changed since the 2013 model year. I know that the model with factory navigation has integration issues with the RadioPro4 since that model has a different i-Mid. Notably setting the clock doesn't work on that model and the factory connectors are different so you may need to splice in. I bought without navigation knowing I was going to put this in right away.

·
Registered
704 Posts
There is no reason you cannot use the existing factory mic with your HU - you just need to splice the Pioneer connector onto the factory mic cable (solder & heat-shrink would be best). I can dig up the HFT (HFL) unit connector pinout if you want to give this a try.

·
Registered
2014, Honda, CR-V
14 Posts
There is no reason you cannot use the existing factory mic with your HU - you just need to splice the Pioneer connector onto the factory mic cable (solder & heat-shrink would be best). I can dig up the HFT (HFL) unit connector pinout if you want to give this a try.
Good idea. If you have the pinout handy that would be great. Otherwise I'll probably buy a day pass to Honda's shop manuals.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Is it possible to view the OEM Backup camera through the 8000NEX?

·
Registered
2014, Honda, CR-V
14 Posts
Is it possible to view the OEM Backup camera through the 8000NEX?
I didn't try. I decided just to keep it on the i-Mid display. I'm not sure the pinouts or where the wires are run. Unless someone else here has experience, you can probably find it at https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp if you bought a day pass. I was thinking about looking up re-routing the factory mic on that site. If I see anything I'll post it. I may not get around to it for another week or two. The backup camera will be wired different if the car had factory nav.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts