Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wife just went to Dealer for an oil change. They said the right rear brake is worn down to the rotor. I think they told her the pad might have been caught rubbing. I'm guessing the guide pin is bad or stuck. They wanted $300 for new pads and to turn the rotor. I am just about to order 2 new Centric premium rotors and Akebono ProAct pads from Rockauto for $90. Any have any thoughts?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wait until gets home and look for yourself?
PS keep wife happy
You called that one right. Another attempted dealer screwjob. The wife just got home. the report shows 3mm of tread left. I pulled the wheel. There's about an 1/8"(3mm) left. The rotors are not scratched at all. The car just need pads soon. The guy asked my wife how far away she lived because he didn't know if the car would make it. :confused: I am taking the car on a road trip this weekend so I needed the brakes fixed. That's why I ordered Centric rotors and Akebona ProAct pads from rockauto today. They will be here thursday. I'll send the rotors back to RA. I hate dealers.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
So the CRV is my wife's car and it only has 28.5K on it, however every time we stop under a heavier load you can feel the car shaking. I'm assuming the rotors are warped and she probably needs new pads. What do y'all think? I'm on vacation in the mountains right now and it is very noticeable.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,630 Posts
Coastie, if your wife's V has warped rotors (or pad redeposits that cause vibration) you can either turn the rotors or buy new. I'm sure the brakes will last the rest of your trip, no need to panic.

I'd not replace the pads unless inspection showed them to be less than one MM thick. (The fronts have wear indicators on them, so you will hear a squeal or a grind if the pads are worn.)

When you inspect the pads, be sure to clean and lube the caliper slider pins, and check that the pads are not binding in the top & bottom SS clips.

Our '06 V's pads are lasting ~80K miles each. I have a set of pads on the shelf, will probably replace them before winter.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Coastie, if your wife's V has warped rotors (or pad redeposits that cause vibration) you can either turn the rotors or buy new. I'm sure the brakes will last the rest of your trip, no need to panic.

I'd not replace the pads unless inspection showed them to be less than one MM thick. (The fronts have wear indicators on them, so you will hear a squeal or a grind if the pads are worn.)

When you inspect the pads, be sure to clean and lube the caliper slider pins, and check that the pads are not binding in the top & bottom SS clips.

Our '06 V's pads are lasting ~80K miles each. I have a set of pads on the shelf, will probably replace them before winter.
Thanks for the response. I actually looked at the pads (while the wheels were still on) and you can see on the rear brakes there is still a huge amount of brake pad left. However, the front pads are nearly gone. I think I may have just found my culprit. I will be ordering new front pads and installing them when I get home.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I just re-read your post and my brakes aren't squeaking, but either way they are visibly worn compared to the rear.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I swapped in the new Akebono last night. Took about an hour. I cleaned everything up no nicely. I used the orange goop on the pads and shims. I used sil-glyde on the ears.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you take any pics?
I forgot to. It was pretty straight forward though. The Stealer did a job of scaring the wife. There was still at least 5k-10k miles left. The guy at the stealer asked my wife if she lived close because he was not sure if the car would make. He also marked the struts in yellow, indicating they will need to be replaced soon. Yikes what a hosebag!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Wow! I can't believe those guys would do that. Of course they would try and take advantage of a woman. I was asking about the pics because I know changing brakes is pretty straight forward, but I'm not sure what to grease.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow! I can't believe those guys would do that. Of course they would try and take advantage of a woman. I was asking about the pics because I know changing brakes is pretty straight forward, but I'm not sure what to grease.
You can find some youtubes but I took a picture of my old pads. I put duct tape on the pads where the lube goes. You lube the ears of the pads where they sit . You lube the back of the pad and then put the shim on the pad. You lube the shim where the mechanism sits on it. I reused the orginal shims because I thought they were better. I'll try and take a picture of the caliper later. You can see the lube. On the inner pad where the clip sits in the piston I only lubed the ears.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used the orange stuff on the back of the pad and shims. I used sil-glyde on the ears. Make sure the pins slide nicely.

Clean it all up with a small brush and brake cleaner

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Thank you for the pictures. They will be coming in handy when I do my pads. I'm going to get my rotors inspected though, since I think they are part of my problem. I have a feeling they are warped.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
So my wife took the CRV to the dealership this morning to get the brakes inspected (free coupon). They came back and said the front pads still have 6" left, so they're good, however, the front rotors are warped. My wife said she would have to talk to me before doing anything but the service advisor said he already called Honda Corporate and since we are only 10 days past our 3 yr warranty and only have 28K miles, they are going to cover it for free. Honda really takes care of their customers. This just saved me $140!

·
Registered
183 Posts
One of the first things I did when we brought home our 2016 three weeks ago was to check tire pressure and the torque on the lug nuts. They lugs were way off, based on how much pressure it took to loosen them up. Uneven torque on the lugs can cause warping of the rotors. Torqued all lugs to 80 ft/lbs and all is good. Cold tire pressure was 40 in the front and 39 on the rear. So much for Dealer Prep.

Coastie05, I think you meant 6 mm and not inches. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts