Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just signed up for the forum, and it looks like y'all have a lot of the bases covered, for which I am thankful for. Just filled out my profile, so you can peek at my credentials. I found this site this afternoon while looking for torque specs for wheels, as I was just putting on the steel rims with the snow tires mounted on them (save the alloys for good weather), as we are just getting ready for a Winter Storm Warning for 4-8" of snow.

I have a couple of things to share with anyone that might be interested. Wife and I picked up a 14'7" Old Town canoe, and used a Thule rack and square mounts.

Good side shot of CRV and canoe (Medium).jpg

I was always brought up to take care of my vehicles, and didn't want to mess up the paint, the plastic front end/grill, or the bug deflector, so came up with this:

Alt front shot of CRV and canoe (Medium).jpg

Which developed into this:

_A206106 (Medium).jpg

If anyone is interested in my first adaptation (PVC pipe covered by rubber pipe insulators) and some rope and carribiners, please drop me a line. Also, if you want instructions on how to do it, please let me know as well.

I personally came up with the final design while making a 'working model' to take to the welders. If anyone out there would be interested, I would be willing to contact the welder and the powdercoating shop to see if we can make up some more of them. Still in the process of the patenting paperwork.

I hope this may help anyone else looking at trying to 'secure' their canoe, or anything carried on the top.

I am also very close to a company here in the mountains of western NC that makes a great lightweight camper/utility trailer - http://www.sylvansport.com/ Not all the weight of a popup or camper trailer, but lightweight and durable.

Thanks for letting me share!

Sincerely,

Ted

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice system.
I'll be using mine to transport our OT Penobscot to places we do lot of canoe/camping trips in the northern reaches of WI, MI and MN.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Another front tie-down option are the nylon loops that attach to underhood bolts used to secure the front fenders. In the latest generation CRV these are hidden, but if you peek under the underhood plastic bits near the fender you'll find one on each side, near the rear hood seal. The nylon loops can be tucked in and out of sight when not in use.

I put a few layers of painters' tape on the hood to protect the finish when the straps are being used.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts