Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting an HR-V for myself, I share a 16 CR-V with my wife and I'm going to be driving a little more so I need my own car. I haven't yet taken one for a test drive but might this weekend. I did look at a fairly new one in a parking lot and like the looks and how it sits higher than a car more like a CR-V. I also think I could probably score a good discount on a new 19, there is a decent inventory in SoCal. I need to do my research and will, but does anyone know off hand if they have the oil delusion problem?

·
Administrator
3,441 Posts
Different Engine. 1.8 liter naturally aspirated. No relation to the CRV engine.

I did go in an HRV when I took an Uber from the airport. Was pleasantly surprised that it was able to carry four people and three large suitcase quite quickly.....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Different Engine. 1.8 liter naturally aspirated. No relation to the CRV engine.

I did go in an HRV when I took an Uber from the airport. Was pleasantly surprised that it was able to carry four people and three large suitcase quite quickly.....
Thanks for that info Rocky. I like the ability to carry four people and have room for three large suitcases. I don't want too small of a vehicle, but thought I'd see if I could save a little cash and not get another CRV.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I would have probably gone with an HRV over a CRV back when I bought my 2017... except.. I NEVER take a first generation of a brand new model... as they most often have some lack of refinements that are normally present in later generation Hondas. It's not a bad sub-copmpact per se.. just nothing outstanding either.

At this point, if it were me, I would wait for the next gen HRV. It should be out in a year or so.. if they are on a normal refresh interval.

I say this because the real rub on the HRV is that it is pretty noisy and underpowerd. Besides.. a new generation HRV would likely also offer a hybrid version as well. But hey.. if you are in a hurry.... take one for a nice complete test drive, including a freeway run.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My mom has an HR-V. I thought driving it was alright, however it's a MUCH smaller vehicle. I always thought it just felt a bit too small, even smaller than back when I had a Fit (and yes I know an HR-V is based on the Fit). If you don't need the ground clearance and AWD you might even want to look into a Fit.

·
Registered
2014 CR-V 2.0 Lifestyle
789 Posts
The new HR-V (unlike the original one) is a bit boring. If I were on a market for a slow subcompact xover I would probably go for the CH-R.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The new HR-V (unlike the original one) is a bit boring. If I were on a market for a slow subcompact xover I would probably go for the CH-R.
Hey "mrtn", you know, that's exactly my thought and the only other vehicle I'm seriously considering is the CH-R. I've been a Honda guy for a long time, but have always in my mind thought that if I strayed from Honda it'd be Toyota. The CHR is definitely more sporty and in my opinion better looking, I typically don't like all the "plasticy" body add-ons that Toyota does, but it works for me on the CHR. On the Honda website, they have a comparison chart where you can directly compare the HRV to many other vehicles including the CHR. The practicality part of me says go with the CHR due to bigger interior, more back seat leg room, etc., but the other part of me says go with the better looking/more sporty HRV. I need to go on a CHR owners forum as part of my research. Of course as someone mentioned above, take both for a test drive. Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would have probably gone with an HRV over a CRV back when I bought my 2017... except.. I NEVER take a first generation of a brand new model... as they most often have some lack of refinements that are normally present in later generation Hondas. It's not a bad sub-copmpact per se.. just nothing outstanding either.

At this point, if it were me, I would wait for the next gen HRV. It should be out in a year or so.. if they are on a normal refresh interval.

I say this because the real rub on the HRV is that it is pretty noisy and underpowerd. Besides.. a new generation HRV would likely also offer a hybrid version as well. But hey.. if you are in a hurry.... take one for a nice complete test drive, including a freeway run.
Yeah, I've always thought that too about not buying the first generation of a vehicle and I might wait if I can. I'll have to do some fact finding to see if 2021 is when Honda will introduce the 2nd Gen. Lack of power isn't too big of a deal for me as this will be just an "around the town car" for us, we'd take the CRV for any longer trips. I'm also thinking this new car would be a good hand down to my daughter when she starts driving in 4-5 years. Yep, I plan on doing a test drive (as well as a Toyota CHR, see my comments above), sometime withing the next 5 days or so. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Lack of power isn't too big of a deal for me as this will be just an "around the town car" for us, we'd take the CRV for any longer trips.
I think the rub with the current generation HRV powertrain, as with earlier Honda powertrains (prior to the new generation vehicles based on the 1.5T), is that the engine is constantly on higher rev to try to fit the torque requirements of the CVT.

I am betting Honda solves this with the next generation HRV.. and FIT as well... but it is going to require a different engine.. one that provides wide and rich torque at lower rpms. The possible rub here is that sales volumes for both the FIT and HRV in North America are fairly low (~50k and 90K respectively) so it is hard to tell how much Honda is willing to invest in it's subcompact line of vehicles.

It is certainly possible that Honda simply moves it's subcompact line of vehicles directly to hybrids and plugin hybrids.. since they appear to be rapidly moving their brand to be less than 30% normal gas engines by 2025. That move could spark a notable increase in annual sales volumes. There are already clear signs of this in their Japan market in 2020.

Time will tell. :)

·
Registered
2014 CR-V 2.0 Lifestyle
789 Posts
HR-V sales will skyrocket when they return to the original design and simplicity. It pretty much outsold the CR-V over here.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, went out and test drove the Toyota CHR earlier today. I like the car's sporty/sexy look, but that's about it. Not saying it's a bad car, but it felt small in all aspects, the front seat, the back seat and the cargo area, I expected small, but the height was terrible (of course that's one way they make the car look sporty is the lower sweeping down back roof. I'm past my mid life crisis and go for more substance. I went and test drove the HRV afterwards and it drives just as nice (maybe slightly less quickness). They found the 2019 LX (I drove a 2019 Sport) in my preferred color at an off sight location and are bringing it here now. I negotiated 2500 less than msrp. I wasn't expecting to buy today but oh well, I did. The sales guy looks a bit bummed out with the low price I negotiated, but maybe that's just an act. Thanks everyone for your input! Oh, I forgot they have a feature on the back seats where the seat portion hinges up vertically so you have a very tall cargo area in front of the back seats while still retaining all of the back cargo area. Of course they also lay down flat.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, that escalated quickly.
It sure was! I really wasn't expecting to buy but after I left Toyota after the CHR test drive, I thought why not take the HRV for a test drive to compare while the Toyota was fresh in my memory. Then they had the 2019 in my preferred color, then I felt that them going down 2500 under msrp, that I might as well go for it before someone else takes my preferred color. Know anyone looking for a 2008 Element?

·
Registered
2014 CR-V 2.0 Lifestyle
789 Posts
Know anyone looking for a 2008 Element?
Been looking for one all my life. Since having sold my HR-V in 2007.

Element is the closest to the original HR-V in terms of simplicity and utility.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Been looking for one all my life. Since having sold my HR-V in 2007.

Element is the closest to the original HR-V in terms of simplicity and utility.
I think you mean CRV (not HRV in 2007) and yes, I agree, that first gen CRV (and even 2nd gen CRV) were pretty utilitarian. I had a second gen 2005 CRV and I used to unbolt the back seats and go camping and could sleep in the back. With the back seats completely taken out, the inside height was pretty generous. I moved the front seats all the way up and it could fit a blow up twin mattress.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh crap, I'm totally wrong, sorry about that. I thought Honda HRV's were a recently created model! I'll have to search out the history sometime. I'm guessing that your in another country than the US?

·
Registered
2014 CR-V 2.0 Lifestyle
789 Posts
Yes, Estonia (Europe).

The Element has been my all time favorite. There are just a few in the whole country over here and always a delight to encounter.

There are location flags next to our names here. Mine’s definitely not stars’n’stripes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A
Yes, Estonia (Europe).

There are location flags next to our names here. Mine’s definitely not stars’n’stripes.
A thousand pardons my good man, okay, I see the flags now by everyone's name.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts