Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I similar most men place my driving skills somewhere between Michael Schumacher and Mario Andretti. All in all I am a good driver I can park maneuver in city traffic and I know every rule of the highway what to flash at so on and so forth. Today I picked up my dad and we went to our classy joint Burger King. Anyway in the parking lot it is quite tight there is an entrance a 90 degree turn and an exit with an concrete wall behind me so I get in the car and we start deciding who's soda is which in the cup holders then this guy in a pilot honks at us assuming he wants our spot I start backing up at about 3 mph I get a bad shunt the car just stops against the wall I pop it in D and pull back into the spot jump out to the back and to my surprise there is 0 damage all of the brunt went into that hook thing on the back which got scraped (Black sharpie solved that problem) there was some concrete bit in wedged in the tailpipe and tailpipe cover my tailpipe but the actual pipe wasn't damaged. When I parked the car I focused on the tail pipe it seemed to be pointed up at 2 or 3 degree angle not in any way melting the bumper but it didn't sit right with me the thing is I think I remember noting in my head once the tailpipe was pointed slightly up 5 months ago so I don't know if this is my eyes playing tricks on me. If anyone can post some close ups of the pipe I would love to see that it is meant to be like that. I am going to my mechanic tomorrow to do brakes so I might be able to ask him if he can bend it straight. Thanks now I am going to cry over my poor driving and thank my lucky stars I didn't buy and Audi or any sedan close to the ground :( , Also Do I have to worry about frame damage or anything else I know I should thank my lucky stars but I now am not going to be able to sleep at all it was quite a shunt.

·
Registered
293 Posts
DOT requires all cars sold in US to take a 5mph (I think) collision without any damage (other than paint). So I would say if your bumper is OK there is nothing to worry about - if your speed was as low as you said. If it was higher bumper might have been damaged - some of them have a honeycomb structure inside and when it breaks bumper should be replaced (not sure about CRV).

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
HAve you seen the crash tests for a crv at 5 MPH? Look it up on youtube. The window just blows out of the car and the bumper wrinkles immideiatley, so if there wasn't any damage, it's probably ok.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HAve you seen the crash tests for a crv at 5 MPH? Look it up on youtube. The window just blows out of the car and the bumper wrinkles immideiatley, so if there wasn't any damage, it's probably ok.
Yeah I missed the bumper totally I happened to really luck out the wall was pretty beaten up I guess a lot of clueless drivers hit it, when I made contact I was sure I ruined my bumper and bent in the rear door luckily the only contact made was the rear hook used for transport and the muffler tip a bit (I think) what I really am worried about is my exhaust should it point upwards at all even on a slight angle or did I damage it when I hit the wall, I don't want to melt my bumper with hot exhaust. I am not sure if the tailpipe comes from the factory like that countered up a little bit I remember it like that before but I am not so sure. Any close ups of the tailpipe on a second Gen V would be appreciated, I still cannot believe I did that though I am really embarrassed everyone in the lot looked at me like a tool but to be honest it is a terribly designed parking lot and judging by the condition of that wall I am very lucky. The CR-V is a car that needs a back up camera I can back up big SUV’s easily because they are boxy but the rear pillars in the V are thick and bend in a weird way and the window is small limiting visibility.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Concrete Wall?

Your other thread had something to do about the tub being loose. Any connection here? Just a thought. By the way; What was your dads reaction when this happened?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your other thread had something to do about the tub being loose. Any connection here? Just a thought. By the way; What was your dads reaction when this happened?
I didn't see any effects really that could be linked the area where the hook is connected doesnt seem stretched or messed up in any way also it was fine this morning I think it was the mechanic today either way thats another annoying problem although when I figure it out I am going to have a great place to traffic cocaine :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts