Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I test drove the 2013 crv yesterday

7K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  rickhow 
#1 · (Edited)
They are arriving at the dealers in the Los Angeles area. I drove an EX. All my driving has been in my 2004 crv.
1st of all there are virtually identical to the 2012s with the exception of a new color KONA COFFFEE METALIC/Mountain air metalic?
My 1st impression is they have come a long way since my 2004, interior and exterior. I was impressed with one glaring exception.
rear visibility. It was quite impaired when looking over your shoulder due to the corners of the rear blocking your view. On the plus, I was quite impressed with the color rear vision camera that gives you two viewing positions, close up and a more distant position that would be quite helpful.
My 1st corner I turned the power steering was effortless and took me a few blocks to get used to it.
Power wise its strong compared to my 2004 and in eco mode its an equal or better.
I have a decision, I dont want a sunroof, but like the larger wheels,fog lamps and other festures of the EX over the LX, and you have a few beige fabric choices in the EX you dont have in the LX. Is it worth the extra? decisions decisions.
Anyway, despite its one glaring flaw, somewhat mitigated by the rear view camera I was very impressed
There have been so may upgrades interior and exterior I will not mention, they are in the brochures, all in all I will buy another.
It was also quiet at the city speeds we were driving, I would have like to see what the road noise was a 70 mph on the frwy, compared to my very noisy 2004. The salesman said in 2012 Honda added more noise dedening. I hope so.

See less See more
#2 ·
There are a few other features you get with an EX. Variable intermittent wipers. Privacy rear glass. Security system. Body colored door handles. Better radio. Maybe more...

I was told the seat fabric is better quality. Not sure if that's true. All this may or may not be not be important to you. It was for me.

#8 ·
I think that the EX is the most value priced model of the line. I don't care much for Honda's leather (had it in an old S2000, Ridgeline and '08 V), and hence, when we spring for a new CRV, it will certainly be the EX model.
I agree that the leather is not top notch. It's not like the quality leather you get in a BMW, M-B, etc.

But it's not just the leather. The EX-L also gets you a premium sound system, 10 way power drivers seat w/ lumbar, heated seats (a non-negotiable item for my wife), roof rails, heated side mirrors, better climate control system, leather steering wheel, Sat Radio, and maybe one or two other items I forgot. And if you want Nav, you have to get the EX-L.

#5 ·
I find Honda's leather to be tough, and cheap looking, especially given the amount of faux leather in the inside of the vehicle. This is of course a subjective observation given years of experience with german vehicles which tend to be equipped with better quality, more supple leather. Objectively, I'm dissuaded from opting for leather because it stays colder in our Canadian climate and the heater seats cannot compensate enough for the cold leather. Since I'm not interested in seat covers, the fabric in the EX is the way to go!

A

#6 ·
VTEXTC

Other than the slightly different LOOK of the LX vs EX in the upholstery, do you feel there is a quality difference also?
I am trying to justify the EX over the LX, especially when I really would not give a nickel more for a moonroof, Just like all the rest of the EX features, but $2000.00 worth of like I am trying to decide.

#7 ·
Only time will tell whether or not the EXs upholstery is more durable than that in the LX. On the surface, both appear of good quality. The moonroof isn't something you can easily add later, so for me, it's a no brainer. That, plus alloy wheels, an upgraded stereo, body colored trim and fog lights (a $400 accessory on the last gen) make the $2000 premium for the EX model sound reasonable.

Different strokes for different folks however. Good luck with whichever model you opt for.

A

#9 ·
Interesting; the EX in Canada also comes with heated seats and heated door mirrors. The premium sound system and leather steering wheel are the only things that would sway me for the EX-L. The power seat, not so much. Once it's set and adjusted, rarely would it need readjusting again.

A

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.