Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
but in my opinion it just comes up as physically too small, with not enough space to serve my needs. While I won't swear to it I believe it's significantly "smaller' than than my long ago (reliable/ uncomfortably) 98 CRV.

And while I greatly love it's athleticism (with its' go-cart abilities) it simply doesn't offer me the same amount of space, nor comfort, as my former (08) Santa Fe.

Combine that with the current driving failure ... this -V doesn't offer any of the current safety options (adaptive cruising, auto stopping, rear side sensing, etc).

So, while I tried to live with it ... and despite the great financial sacrifices ... I've decided to move on.

So while I lost many thousands of $ on this upside down deal ...
today I opted to try something significantly different: a 2019 Honda Passport (AWD Elite).

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Your impressions about size aren't entirely wrong, but they are mostly wrong.

The 1998 CR-V has 0.6 inches more headroom in the front and rear seats.
The front legroom is nearly identical, although the 2016 has 1.6" more legroom in the rear seats.
The 2016 has a little over 5" more shoulder room in the front, and almost 1" more in the rear.
The 2016 has 1.1" more hip room in the front, and 2.4" more in the rear.
The 2016 has 7.6 cubic feet more cargo volume with the rear seats up, and 3.7 cubic feet more with the seats folded down.
Total interior passenger volume in the 2016 is 104.1 cubic feet, vs. 98 cubic feet in the 1998 CR-V.

And the 2016 CR-Vs EPA ratings for fuel mileage are City/Highway/Combined 26 / 33 / 29, which are much better than the Passport's 20 / 25 / 22.

But if you're happy with the Passport then that's all that matters.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Okay, well, don't keep us in suspense. What are your driving impressions of the Passport, and how does it compare to the CR-V?

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I won't be picking it up until Thursday but its driving characteristics are completely different. The Passports' a long distance touring type buggy while the V is a fun go-cart.

My gripe about space is referring to storage space, not personal space. Up front there's only a tiny bit of space for my stuff: my full size HK won't fit in the console, the phone is angled on the tiny flat surface, etc. The GPS must sit on the dash. In the back cargo area I had to remove stuff that I generally carried in my former Santa Fe to allow space for groceries/ hardware stops.

For sure I'll miss the Vs sportiness (and MPG economy) but on the bright side the new Passport is a Big improvement over my working dually (8-9 mpg)!

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Okay. My phone goes in the center console since I never use it while driving, and I use a vent clip GPS mount for my Garmin, and my Glock is in a locked case in the cargo area when it's in the CR-V.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
I definitely get it on the dually, with my big block F250 4x4, which I love, but which rides like a forklift and can't ever, ever pass a gas station. Oh, and my neighborhood has lots of speed bumps - the kind that will tear your suspension out by the roots if you are going over 2 mph.

I have similar storage complaints in my '07. but I am going to go out in the shop and build me a custom center console to replace the crap stock one. It will have one large center armrest at the right height, wide and comfy, with copious amounts of locking storage underneath and forward, and will connect to the front console. It will be wider there, to have room for my CB radio. And it will cost a lot less than a new car. Which will be handy since I am now retired and have no need.

I do like the new Passport, though. Should serve you well. Keep us posted on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts