Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Honda,

I know from threads on here and other places that CarPlay was Beta tested on 2015 CR-V's so we know it works. I really wish they would release it for public use.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I hate to say this, as I want Car Play also, that you will need to buy a different car to get this. And don't buy it unless it comes with the car. I made the mistake of reading Press reports saying that Honda hopes to equip the 2015 with Car Play in the future.

It is most likely a good thing that I am not in love with my CRV. It gives me a reason to trade it in in a year or two for something with Car Play.

·
Registered
454 Posts
what about an aftermarket pioneer unit?
I don't want to give up the backup camera and right camera.

Not in love with the CRV. I will keep it for another year or two and then trade it off. So not me but I won't be keeping this car long term.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm having this dilemma now with my LX...I'm a big iphone fan and user, 6+ right now, and the factory system just does not play well especially with the latest ios update.
I'm considering the Alpine ILX-007 which is their Car Play device...it is basically an extension of the iphone.

I can have it installed at a good price...but...there are problems and loss of features on the CRV that I'm not sure I ready and willing to give up. Basically I would lose the steering wheel controls and the settings display as the after market connector "Maestro" does not work with this unit, according to my audio shop. But according to Crutchfield they offer a unit by Metra that does...confusing.
I may also have problems with the back up camera which I've never had before but have learned to enjoy using.

So if I don't care about losing factory controls I can have the 007 installed...it also does not have BlueTooth but uses the iphone call system and the iphone has to be hard wired...not the biggest deal in the world as I generally prefer a hard wire connection anyway.

Sigh...not sure what I'm going to do...

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Reviews aren’t the kindest towards CarPlay. Check out YouTube to see what I mean.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Reviews aren’t the kindest towards CarPlay. Check out YouTube to see what I mean.
Reviews have been brutal over the current Honda System. I have not read one positive review.

I would rather take my chances with Car Play. They will probably continue to improve it. That will never happen with my current system.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Some other auto brands are coming out only with Android Auto and have eliminated Apple Car Play from their offerings. I'm not sure why. (is apple putting restrictions on it to make money in some way, per usual?) Honda usually offers BOTH choices, but not for the 2015/2016 CRV model. I prefer Android anyways, so it's a non issue. But a curious question.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm not sure if the lead time required to design these in car systems is such that engineers are always behind current technology or if customer feedback teams just stink at their job, but it amazes me how poorly all the automotive manufacturers seem to be at getting this right. And any solution the manufactures develop is likely to get few updates over time (and if they do will have a fee attached). So outsourcing this to Apple and Google seems like the best plan... I just don't know if the manufacturers can support both simultaneously or if they will have to choose one or the other.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I just don't know if the manufacturers can support both simultaneously or if they will have to choose one or the other.
I think they can afford to support both, or should come up with a standard that both have to abide by. Apple likes to do their own thing, but the reality is all of that the operating systems are based on very similar code. Both have a decent market share, so it makes sense to support the top 2. (Apple has 28.4%, Android has 66.9%, Microsoft Windows phone has 3.5%)

·
Registered
454 Posts
I read tech news as I am in the tech industry. A few months ago, I read one article about a high end car company that will not use Android Auto because it reports everything back to Google, literally everything. Car Play only reports minimal information.

I wish I could find the article again.

-------

OK - did a search and it is Porsche:

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/06/porsche-chooses-carplay-over-android-auto/

http://www.allandroidnews.com/article/porsche-won-t-use-android-auto-because-google-wants-too-much-information-34758447-dd7b95.html

·
Registered
515 Posts
I wound up having an Alpine iLX-007/Car Play head unit installed in my 2012 V LX...It is awesome...does everything I had hoped without a problem. I don't miss Bluetooth at all as Siri or the touch screen works great for making and taking calls...Listening to text messages and making text messages via the audio system is very cool though I've received only one text message while driving and I've sent none except in a test to my wife who was sitting in the passenger seat hehehe.

I retained "most" of the steering wheel controls...I lost the nifty digital compass but I haven't missed it or lost my way thus far. I can't set the time but the installer set the time and it is accurate...until we change the clocks??? or I disconnect the battery...he said bring it back and he will reset the clock at no cost...I have only two screens, or three?, available on the small display...The "picture" screen is still there and the gas mileage/range as well, plus the black screen...is it a "screen"?

I still have the standard backup camera to the standard display screen...the installer was unable to connect it to the Alpine and didn't want to play with the camera's wiring....I'm ok with it as it is a decent camera but I was hoping for the head unit display to be the camera display...I'd have to buy an Alpine or compatible camera...perhaps I will in the future but right now I don't care.

The sound improved quite a bit. I already had a small JL Audio 4 channel amp installed on the factory head unit via the speaker wires but now it is connected via the pre outs and while I noticed an improvement in overall audio quality I really noticed the lack of any noise at all between songs on my itunes playlists, etc. Just dead silence, even my wife noticed and she generally just smiles at me while not really caring at all.

Overall I'm very happy and satisfied with this upgrade. The total cost was just under $900.00 for parts, labor and tax...Right at what I could buy it for online.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts