Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CR-V SE
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Gen 3 SE. I would like to add fog lights. I am looking for suggestions and experiences from those who have added them.

I have already performed several searches on the subject here on the sight, but most of the threads are unfinished or several years old and outdated as they relate to product. A few used kits from H and A which is now closed down. I am surprised at how little conclusive info I was able to find.

A) Is there a quality aftermarket product that can be had for less than the OE product?
B) Is my Gen 3 SE already prewired through the firewall? I have read conflicting reports that perhaps the wiring is there and just needs to be connected in the dash and at the bumper.
C) My bumper has indentions where fog lights would go. After cutting out, are there brackets already in place to mount fog lights or will I need to screw into the bumper?
D) I am looking for a product where I can turn on the fog lights separate from the headlights if possible.
E) I may prefer yellow if that lens or color is an option.

Through google and online searches, I can find a lot of information that probably tells me what I think I know, but no first hand experience confirming what I need to do. I feel like I may be reading information with the slanted view of my expectation vs what the products are actually providing if that makes sense.

Thank you for any information that anyone can provide.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
87 Posts
Seems you haven't looked under the bumper for wires and mounts?
I would start there.
Any after market fog light kit will work. I found product and videos using Google.

·
Registered
2011 CR-V SE
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems you haven't looked under the bumper for wires and mounts?
I would start there.
Any after market fog light kit will work. I found product and videos using Google.
In order to look under the bumper on a Gen 3 for wires and mounts, you have to separate and remove portions of the bumper, grill and bottom covers. It is a task that many say is not for the timid and not as simple as just taking a peek. Some have not been able to get it all back together without issues. Therefore, I am trying to get the information so that when I pull the bumper and grill apart, I can move forward.

I have seen information online, but it is hard to determine what is OE and what is aftermarket additional. Hoping someone that has been down this path already can shed light.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
2,749 Posts
I am going back to the Gen 2 era: Climate control. connector. gas pedal area a connector, two connectors by the headlights area.
the OAM official fogs. I used JD products, Bings Friend in East Orange NJ, whois an old hondasuv.com
today I wore up and off I go.

·
Registered
'08 CRV EX, White. '19 Pilot EX-L, MSM. '07 Sonata, stick shift, 220k and counting, '10 Kia Forte
74 Posts
My Daughters '08 I just swapped broken lens fogs and put in Morimoto XB LED. I got the yellow when on and pretty blacked out when off. I'll try to get better pics, looks great IMO as her bumper is black so they blend well. Mounting was creative using the old mounts. Yours are shaped differently I think but they make a Type H - Honda Oval version . Here is an Amazon CRV fog kit that shows the mounting brackets. The '08 is a little different but similar crazy bracket. It screws into the plastic in back of bumper. You might find them at a junkyard and get creative like I did. Mine didn't have any factory wiring originally but my nephew had installed a kit from Honda or Amazon prior to us getting this. He did it 2-3 times because of the lenses breaking. The kit like this came with all wiring switch etc. It's tapped into the fuse box via and "add-a-circuit" from parking light fuse and powered through a relay. Switch is mounted in blank square on right side of steering wheel.

You can check the Morimoto's (they make different mounts/shapes) or look at Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport they also have different Bezels that you can call and see what might fit best. I put the SS3 in my son's Forte, lower center grill area at outside edge. The DD has more coverage and is brighter, you can get the Pro that's even brighter than that. You can also get replacement lenses and change the pattern (White/yellow, fog/driving/spot/flood). All of mine are wired with relays, and go on with parking lights and stay on with low beam and high beam with a switch to turn off if you want.

You could consider even surface mount style or add a piece of angle iron or other onto factory metal bumper behind plastic if needed and put it over the fog area so you can mount and pendant style bracket. I want them to look good but better performance trumps some aesthetics (within tasteful reason)

If you get the amazon kit with glass lenses, get headlight film as they will crack from rocks and then you get to buy new ones and do it again.

·
Registered
'08 CRV EX, White. '19 Pilot EX-L, MSM. '07 Sonata, stick shift, 220k and counting, '10 Kia Forte
74 Posts
I'll get some for you as soon as possible. I have nothing from the backside when I was installing them and hopefully not taking bumper off soon.

·
Registered
74 Posts
As a comparison- these are the Diode Dynamics SS3 sports in my sons Forte. On the road they are brighter with more coverage than the Morimoto. I think the Morimoto in the CRV look great and they do work good with wide coverage. I had purchased the Morimoto already with plans to put in the Forte. When the '08 CRV joined the fleet and I saw that they fit perfect in the bezels already in bumper i went that route and got him the DD. The DD is just much better performance. The first picture below is pretty accurate for intensity and coverage comparisons. I have Hella DE projector fogs with 35W HID yellow bulbs in my (now dead blown motor) Sonata.They cover more road area without the bottom cut off but were more involved and probably more cost overall than the DD. The DD is very close to them with less hassle of making space and adapting and less power needed. They are not very big, you can get them with round bezels, you can change the lenses for pretty cheap to repair a broken one if needed or change to white fog or driving patterns. He's away at school so no night shots available. If you wanted to spend more the SS3 Pro's obviously even more dramatic

·
Registered
74 Posts
In order to look under the bumper on a Gen 3 for wires and mounts, you have to separate and remove portions of the bumper, grill and bottom covers. It is a task that many say is not for the timid and not as simple as just taking a peek. Some have not been able to get it all back together without issues. Therefore, I am trying to get the information so that when I pull the bumper and grill apart, I can move forward.

I have seen information online, but it is hard to determine what is OE and what is aftermarket additional. Hoping someone that has been down this path already can shed light.
PM me your email. I'll get you some scans from '08 factory manual on how to remove the bumper. Grill does not need to come separate. All my lights are with relays, triggered by parking lights and on with low and hi beams also. Real easy, but I've been doing lights and stereo's in mine/family/friends cars for the last 40 years.

Order some push clips from ebay or amazon to replace the ones you will break. they are cheap. The whole bumper cover is like 4-6 bolts/screws and a bunch of plastic clips.

By the way, your CRV looks real nice. What rims are those? What size and model tires? any rubbing issues?

·
Registered
2011 CR-V SE
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PM me your email. I'll get you some scans from '08 factory manual on how to remove the bumper. Grill does not need to come separate. All my lights are with relays, triggered by parking lights and on with low and hi beams also. Real easy, but I've been doing lights and stereo's in mine/family/friends cars for the last 40 years.

Order some push clips from ebay or amazon to replace the ones you will break. they are cheap. The whole bumper cover is like 4-6 bolts/screws and a bunch of plastic clips.

By the way, your CRV looks real nice. What rims are those? What size and model tires? any rubbing issues?
Thank you for all your input so far. Also, thank you for the compliment on the shoes. They are the Method 502 Rally with Toyo Open Country AT III's in 235/65/17. No rubbing or issues of any kind. I researched and asked a bunch of questions before I moved forward. Discount Tire computer showed both the rims and tires as suitable for stock match.

The vehicle is quieter and rides better with the added rubber between the rim and ground in the slightly larger than stock size. The difference is pretty small... like less than a 1/2" if I remember. I originally wanted a different Method rim but the offset and some of the other numbers weren't a match. The 502 if perfect.

This CR-V is a second vehicle that we will use to get us up into the mountains for adventures including skiing in the winter. Hwy 210 where we ski is a bugger in the winter and good tires are a must. That being said, no matter how I dress it up, it's still a "grocery getter" as they say... 4 cylinder with trunk space is the pure definition of grocery getter. So I say embrace it and I just put a grocery getter sticker on the front of the rack.

As for fog lights, I really like the idea of the DD SS3 Sport or SS2 Pro, but I don't know if I can make either of them fit the small oval shape. it's barely over 2" tall in the center of the oval.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just make sure you try the braking etc in the snow on those. Many of the all terrain versions get rated for the three-peak mountain snowflake because of the aggressive pattern. The problem is they still get hard on the tread and don't flex well for snow/ice especially stopping and turning.

Unless it changed on later years, your CRV is front wheel drive UNTIL the front tires start to spin. Once the driveshaft spins faster to rear than the rear tires are going it will activate the pistons in the rear end and make them start to get power. There is no locking option to keep it engaged, totally mechanical system. Helps to get unstuck but once moving does nothing.

The AT3 is new not much feedback on Tirerack. The previous AT2 only gets a 6.9 rating from users for snow so be careful.

For the fogs I'm thinking like THESE cut to fit with a 4 screws/bolts through the front. Maybe they have a wider front bezel version if you ask that would cover where you cut the hole. Another option is the SSC2 pod. It can surface mount or on some bracket off metal bumper behind.

I did one set of lights way back when and used some black door edge guard to cover my cut edge in the bumper.

These days you might be able to find somebody to 3D print a small housing to match your bumper that will fit either version and hide neatly. Just depends how creative you want to get. I've seen people cut and glue plastic cutting boards and paint black that they cut and shaped as spacers/brackets for lights/speakers etc.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Or get like THESE from aliexpress or amazon. Try them, put plastic lens guard (like yellow Lamin-x) to keep from breaking. If they work well rock on. If not happy, use the brackets to mount the SSC2 pods somehow with a little trimming of plastic.

·
Registered
2011 CR-V SE
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just make sure you try the braking etc in the snow on those. Many of the all terrain versions get rated for the three-peak mountain snowflake because of the aggressive pattern. The problem is they still get hard on the tread and don't flex well for snow/ice especially stopping and turning.

Unless it changed on later years, your CRV is front wheel drive UNTIL the front tires start to spin. Once the driveshaft spins faster to rear than the rear tires are going it will activate the pistons in the rear end and make them start to get power. There is no locking option to keep it engaged, totally mechanical system. Helps to get unstuck but once moving does nothing.

The AT3 is new not much feedback on Tirerack. The previous AT2 only gets a 6.9 rating from users for snow so be careful.

For the fogs I'm thinking like THESE cut to fit with a 4 screws/bolts through the front. Maybe they have a wider front bezel version if you ask that would cover where you cut the hole. Another option is the SSC2 pod. It can surface mount or on some bracket off metal bumper behind.

I did one set of lights way back when and used some black door edge guard to cover my cut edge in the bumper.

These days you might be able to find somebody to 3D print a small housing to match your bumper that will fit either version and hide neatly. Just depends how creative you want to get. I've seen people cut and glue plastic cutting boards and paint black that they cut and shaped as spacers/brackets for lights/speakers etc.
In initial reviews, the ATiii should be significantly better in all areas, especially wet and snow. The main difference for me is that the AT iii has the official 3 peak snowflake rating. I am pretty sure (or pretty confused) that the AT ii was M+S rated, but not severe weather rated with the 3 peak snowflake. The compound, center lugs, side lugs and sidewalls are all improved with purpose... fingers crossed.

As for lights, I think I am going to go against my initial will and buy cheaper fogs, replace the bulbs with better DD bulbs and then protect the lenses.

Thanks again. Of the few threads I have started to find info over the past few weeks on this new to me car, you have provided significant amounts of real and useful help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts