Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to the forum and I apologize if this isn't the right place to post this.

Summary: I have driven a 2012 CR-V for the last year and really like the utility of it, I am giving it to my son for his first car and need to replace it.

Looked at the Volvo XC60, BMW X3, Mercedes GLC, and Porsche Macan. LOVE the performance of the Porsche Macan but have two problems:

1) I like the utility of the CR-V and the Macan gives up a lot compared to it in room
2) I'm not the kind of guy to have a Porsche sitting in my driveway, it's a bit too high-falutin and pretentious for me

My potential solution is to pick up another used CR-V and do an engine swap with something that can be modded to get me closer to the 350 HP mark. Basically a sleeper CR-V that can smoke off the line. It won't kill any Porsche Macans in brute force, but it will take them and a lot of other cars by surprise. I should mention that I'm a 45 yr old dude who is looking for something fun to use as a daily driver and roll out on the occasional sports car.

Perhaps this is completely unrealistic and if so I would like to hear that. If it isn't though and a used CR-V plus $20K can get me in the ballpark, I would appreciate any suggestions as to who to talk to do the work, what my realistic options are for base power- plants, and why $20K might not be enough to deal with the additional stress on the AWD drive-train.

Thanks for any responses or guidance you can provide.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
You might be Ok with 350 crank hp on awd. I think the best route would be turbo charging, engine management system could be tricky.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Motor work aside I don't think the stock Cr-v transmissions would be able to handle it. Neither would the AWD system and rear clutches. I hear they burn out really quick if engaged for too long. But I'm definitely interested in what you decide.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Get an older model (04-06). They usually put up with a little more tampering. My dad just sold his 05, Says he's getting too old for this stuff, and that thing flew. Pulled 13s.

·
Registered
693 Posts
why don't u just buy an RDX turbo. It's like a CRV, but nicer interior. There is flashpro support for tuning I seen. it also has one of the best awd system available. you can get a used one for around 10-13k fully loaded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e4KN23TpYY

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well you're no fun! That is very likely the most practical answer. I need to get over my dislike of the Acura front-end.

·
Registered
693 Posts
^ trust me I been looking for a way to tune the CRV for a while now. The only thing that comes to mind is the AEM FIC. It can be used to turbo the CRV (gen 2 and up minus direct injected engines), but a lot of custom work has to be done which also brings up the price.

I also looked into install a comptech s/c from an EP3 or RSX. It might bolt on. Big emphasize on the if since I do not know for sure if it will work on the chassis of the crv.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well you're no fun! That is very likely the most practical answer. I need to get over my dislike of the Acura front-end.
I hate the Acura front ends so much I bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee over and MDX. Won't buy another Lincoln either. Those are some ass ugly grills. It's inly getting worse too. Spreading to other companies.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

·
Registered
13 Posts
^ trust me I been looking for a way to tune the CRV for a while now. The only thing that comes to mind is the AEM FIC. It can be used to turbo the CRV (gen 2 and up minus direct injected engines), but a lot of custom work has to be done which also brings up the price.

I also looked into install a comptech s/c from an EP3 or RSX. It might bolt on. Big emphasize on the if since I do not know for sure if it will work on the chassis of the crv.
What about piggy backing something like MegaSquirt with the stock ECU? I did this on my 92 teg for tuning due to it being auto. The MegaSquirt would run fule and coils. The ECU would due the rest.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
It could work or you can get an AEM infinity and that should work as a full stand alone, but you need to have a MT.

Megasquirt could work, but I am not too familiar with how to set it up and tune it.
Talk to diyautotune.com they where very helpful with my teg setup

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
https://youtu.be/IaH9MVoitE0

This is a Honda V6 Turbo in a civic... probably more room in a CRV under the hood.

I know the V6 makes about 240HP - so turbocharged we might be talking 360HP.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't know what state you are in but in some states you cannot modify vehicles due to smog check regs so you might check on that before spending any money. Buy the Macan and be pretentious would be my advice I owned a Porsche before buying my CRV and it was the most fun car I've ever driven. Supporting them is the downside.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts