Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I clocked around 500-600 miles last week Weds-Friday for the Holiday and the CRV did good. MPG's were acceptable. Everyone was comfortable. Heat has never been an issue. But we experienced a heavy gas smell in the cabin anytime we sat idle. And the infotainment system was driving us batty, so we avoided using it.

A little history, I changed the oil at 3000 miles (no filter) and almost 5qts came out. It been shown Honda did overfill from the factory and so I blew it off. I refilled with 3qts, then crept to 3.2 to get me right on the high tick mark a few minutes after shutting down the warm engine (Per Procedure.) Checked and rechecked a few times over the last 1000 miles, all seemed fine. No short trips, all 50 miles round trip commute and long, high speed, highway drives.

Well, upon arriving home last Friday with 4700 miles on the clock, the gas smell still bothering us, I drained the oil again (no filter) and shockingly more than 4.5qts came out.

3.2 in and 4.5 qts+ come out...smelling of gas. That's 1.3qts of (one can only assume at this point) gas in the oil.

Add to this, upon removing the underbelly pan, I find ATF leaking between the engine and trans interface. Sure this can be fixed a lot easier than the oil dilution issue, but seriously? This thing is 2 months old!

Strike 1. Oil dilution
Strike 2. Infotainment
Strike 3. ATF leak
Strike 4. This was supposed to be my wife's car!

I was wrong to think my CRV would escape every reported issue (I really did believe that). And even general, I was wrong because I was pretty hard on some folks sharing (what I felt were weak) claims of oil dilution. Could be their way of reporting was not great, but that doesnt mean they're telling stories. And while so many others are clearly not making up stories it may have come across that I was defending Honda in every regard and they could do not wrong. That has never been the case, but I see how I come across that way.

Anyway. I am man enough to Eat Crow when its served, and I definitely got served. A portion being my own fault, my final decision has cost me an additional $3600 (trade in hit).

The 18 CRV Touring has been replaced by a new 18 Accord Hybrid Touring.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,204 Posts
While I thanked you for the post, I am sorry to hear that 1) you experienced these issues, and 2) that you traded it in taking a financial hit. (although, I have promoted this for those who are so unhappy it is keeping them up at night)

Kudos for your comments. Enjoy the Accord Hybrid! I wish Honda sold the CR-V with the Hybrid in the US. For a number of reasons, I need the crossover type vehicle.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Wow! That's a bummer. I noticed those drips at the tranny/motor on ours when I did the 1st oil change......I wiped them off and haven't noticed any drips in subsequent oil changes. I just figured those drips were there from the assembly process, since they have not re-appeared. Again, bummer. Hope you enjoy your new hybrid.:thumb:

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have to say it's interesting that you would trade your CR-V for another, more expensive model Honda. Likewise someone in another thread said they were trading their CR-V in for a Pilot. I have to wonder, if people trade their problem CR-Vs for Pilots and Accords and they buy Pilots and Accords instead of CR-Vs what incentive does Honda have to improve the CR-V? It's a win-win situation for them because they get to sell the bigger and more profitable Pilots.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to say it's interesting that you would trade your CR-V for another, more expensive model Honda. Likewise someone in another thread said they were trading their CR-V in for a Pilot. I have to wonder, if people trade their problem CR-Vs for Pilots and Accords and they buy Pilots and Accords instead of CR-Vs what incentive does Honda have to improve the CR-V? It's a win-win situation for them because they get to sell the bigger and more profitable Pilots.
"Interesting"? That's being nice. I have many other choice words for what I have done. LOL. But I still believe in Honda (and Toyota).

FYI on pricing...its closer than you think.

2018 CRV Touring - $32,000
2018 Accord Hybrid (or 2.0T...quotes were identical) $32,800

Plus fees, tax and accessories on both.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ricon sorry for your financial loss. Personally I am done with Honda after this fiasco with our 2018 CRV Touring and the 2007 Acura MDX that needed a new small block after only 90K miles. I followed a rigid and expensive maintenance schedule that was meticulously administered by the Acura dealership. Thankfully I bought the extended warranty for 7 or was it 8 years on this CRV. I think I will be going a more tried and true route albeit much more boring one by buying a Toyota next time around. I have a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee which is an awesome vehicle but it has been far from trouble free. (new trannie, new backup camera, new radiator and a new and a new drive shaft all within 40,000 miles and 3 years) No more Jeeps after this one dies and no more Hondas.

·
Registered
531 Posts
So, you are tired of waiting 3 minutes to check your CRV oil? :) Just kidding. Yes you did come across as defensive of Honda issues in the beginning and yes you did appear condescending to some of us who have the issues in some threads, IIRC. Anyway, sorry to hear about your issues and your financial loss. $3600 is a lot but I think that is the inevitability I have to face in the near future because my fake oil level is rising too. I thought Honda's resale value was bulletproof. No more Honda for us.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyway. I am man enough to Eat Crow when its served, and I definitely got served. A portion being my own fault, my final decision has cost me an additional $3600 (trade in hit).

The 18 CRV Touring has been replaced by a new 18 Accord Hybrid

You are very brave to buy another Honda? .After 5 years of Ford updating parts,software ,extending warranty and telling me how poorly we drive our 2013 Focus dual clutch transmission I wasn’t willing to throw my butt up on the counter and have them poke me with another Ford . My Ford dealer has always been great but Ford had to authorize warranty repairs . I’m still loving my CRV and hoping they treat us better than Ford did

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have my EX-L 2017 for almost 2 years, while I'm feeling OK with it, I am not happy.
I'm a Honda fan for a long time (moving from Accord '83 -> Prelude '89 -> Accord V6 '04 ->) but thinking getting a different brand next time.
The more high-tech, the more trouble it gets.

·
Registered
310 Posts
At some point the fanboys at least become realistic. Probably around the time Honda was outed by Consumers Reports and they quickly announced the “fix”. Meanwhile people like me who have driven and maintained cars for fifty years wonder how magically growing oil volumes greater than a quart could ever be considered normal, caused by overfilling, misread dipstick, or have owners who were just plain wrong. To say nothing about why the Chinese stopped Honda CRV sales a year earlier and vetoed the “fix” shortly after. Logic seems strangely missing these days.

·
Registered
580 Posts
At some point the fanboys at least become realistic. Probably around the time Honda was outed by Consumers Reports and they quickly announced the “fix”. Meanwhile people like me who have driven and maintained cars for fifty years wonder how magically growing oil volumes greater than a quart could ever be considered normal, caused by overfilling, misread dipstick, or have owners who were just plain wrong. To say nothing about why the Chinese stopped Honda CRV sales a year earlier and vetoed the “fix” shortly after. Logic seems strangely missing these days.
The other side is that there are people that misread the dipstick. (after reading many, many, of these posts) don't remember seeing anyone blaming any of these things when the oil is a quart over. There are also (apparently) many dealers that were putting the wrong amount of oil in the cars after an oil change. Again you forgot to mention that China did come out with an approved fix. Not much info yet whether that worked or not. In my opinion there are people that have a problem and there are people that don't. I also believe that is why Honda is having such a hard time knowing what the problem is. It is also sad that some who have it assume everyone does and some that don't have it believe no one does. Only time will tell (maybe) what the end of this story is.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Pretty clear that the Accord Hybrid Touring is the better car. I expect Honda will start selling the CRV version in the US pretty soon since the equivalent 2019 Rav 4 Hybrid will start delivering in April with more hp than the gas version, better 0-60, standard electric awd and great mpg for only $800 over the base Rav. Some reviewers have already said its the smoothest SUV in its class as well.

·
Registered
310 Posts
... Not much info yet whether that worked or not. In my opinion there are people that have a problem and there are people that don't. I also believe that is why Honda is having such a hard time knowing what the problem is. It is also sad that some who have it assume everyone does and some that don't have it believe no one does. Only time will tell (maybe) what the end of this story is.
They just started selling in June and the recalls are happening. Honda has said they are not using the same Asian fix which "logically" implies it won't pass muster in North America where many independent resources exist to validate the results, unlike China where bribery and corruption is still quite common. Sales in China are still way down indicating the consumers are looking elsewhere. Which is obviously the reason Honda played dumb here in the US. One thing for sure, if I have a car with a bad injector and it dumps a half quart of fuel at 2200 psi past the rings, any dealer or mechanic will immediately change the oil to limit engine damage. In the US we can not consistently get Honda to even change the oil at their expense.

·
Registered
164 Posts
They just started selling in June and the recalls are happening. Honda has said they are not using the same Asian fix which "logically" implies it won't pass muster in North America where many independent resources exist to validate the results, unlike China where bribery and corruption is still quite common. Sales in China are still way down indicating the consumers are looking elsewhere. Which is obviously the reason Honda played dumb here in the US. One thing for sure, if I have a car with a bad injector and it dumps a half quart of fuel at 2200 psi past the rings, any dealer or mechanic will immediately change the oil to limit engine damage. In the US we can not consistently get Honda to even change the oil at their expense.
In a few years we'll all be buying electrified transportation anyway it looks like. One moving part and no more problems in your oil.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts