Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This is my first post here, but I've been lingering around the forums for a while. I just bought the BlueDriver OBDII Scan Tool and, as an engineer, I'm stoked to start using it to collect some cool data. I want to use the data-logging feature to do a study on how long it takes the cabin to heat up or cool down (using the remote start) based on the ambient temperature. I bought a separate temperature data-logger that I have placed in the cabin to log the interior ambient temperature. Although I could settle to use just time since ignition and interior ambient temperature values, I wish to use temperature data from the vehicle as well.

This leads me to my questions. The BlueDriver scan tool is showing there being an IAT Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 and an IAT Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2. I'll just call them IAT 1 and IAT 2 respectively. So I was wondering where exactly IAT 1 and IAT 2 are located. I'm thinking that one of the two are integrated into the MAF sensor, but then where is the other located? From the one set of data I have collected thus far, it appears IAT 1 always remains between 20 to 30 degrees Fahrenheit higher than IAT 2 (please note that I started the data-logger after the engine had been idling for at least 15 minutes, so the temperatures were nearing equilibrium). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

On a separate note, looking at online assembly diagrams on parts websites, I think I pinned down where the ECT 1 and ECT 2 sensors are located. Based off my one set of data showing that ECT 1 is always higher than ECT 2, I believe ECT 1 is located at the coolant output of the engine and ECT 2 is located at the output of the radiator. Please correct me if I am wrong.

This is a graph of the data I was referencing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
After sitting overnight, I see ECT1, ECT2, TFT (tranny fluid) and ambient temp (displayed on the dash) all the same or within 1-3 degrees of each other. Yes, ECT1 (at the head) will run higher than ECT2 (bottom radiator tank) after start-up. Summer time, I’ve observed ECT1 at 215F and ECT2 at 205F and TFT AT 229F. I do not monitor IAT.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
From the support.bluedriver.com website:

OBDII Live Data Guide

Intake Air Temperature:

Temperature of the air traveling through the intake.

Turbocharged vehicles may have two IAT sensors - sensor #1 before the turbocharger and sensor #2 downstream of the turbo.
Depending on vehicle configuration there may also be two intake tracts in which case sensor data may be reported for banks 1 and 2.

In normal operation the intake temperature should be slightly above the ambient air temperature

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Not sure what normal operation would be but in past vehicles where I have monitored IAT, IAT would be well above ambient temp by 20-30 degrees in slow moving/stopped traffic and at ambient temp at highway speed. I would think In a turblow motor application IAT #1 would be ahead of the turblow and IAT #2 would be after the intercooler.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts