Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
My question is if I have the PCV hose properly identified? If so then Honda has made a GREAT vapor trap for the PCV or my PCV is bad, because there is ZERO evidence of oil in this hose.
I’m an engineer by training and temperament, I gotta know how stuff works and I’m am super piss-off that Honda has decided to make the service manual a subscription. I’ve owned 22 cars/trucks, 10 motorcycles and 12 boats over my life and OWEND a service manual of everyone. Well enough rant :) Thanks for any assistance.
Vehicle Engine Auto part Car Fuel line

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Not sure about the ID of said parts, but if your engine is running correctly, why would you expect to find oil in that line?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because PCV stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation. PCV system is needed since EVERY IC engine has some amount of blow by past the piston rings, i.e. a small amount of combustion gases get into the crankcase. Next the crank shaft and a multitude of other moving parts are throwing around oil, so as you may expect there is going to be an oil mist in the crankcase. So when said PCV does it's job of releasing the crankcase pressure it can be expected the air moving from the PCV to the intake tract will have a bit of oil in it.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I would expect a good running engine not to have enough oil vapor in the system to leave a deposit in the line, but I could be wrong on that point. I have read that if the PVC valve isn't working correctly you can start to get oil leaks from the over pressurized crankcase. Is your engine leaking oil?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hello All,
My question is if I have the PCV hose properly identified? If so then Honda has made a GREAT vapor trap for the PCV or my PCV is bad, because there is ZERO evidence of oil in this hose.
I’m an engineer by training and temperament, I gotta know how stuff works and I’m am super piss-off that Honda has decided to make the service manual a subscription. I’ve owned 22 cars/trucks, 10 motorcycles and 12 boats over my life and OWEND a service manual of everyone. Well enough rant :) Thanks for any assistance.
View attachment 126819
Wow, 22 cars/trucks! I only did light DIY work on 4-5 cars so far, and I can figure out PCV and the hoses on a car without a service manual. I didn't see the MY info on your CRV. Generally, PCV system has a 1) hose/tube from the big air filter intake tube to the valve cover, and 2) from the engine block to the intake manifold. The PCV valve is generally screwed into the engine block.

Is it the dipstick one of your arrows is pointing to?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Genuser, I suppose you haven't looked closely under the hood of a 4th gen recently. I'm surprised you think someone would mistake a oil dip stick for a PCV. FYI the dipstick is on the forward side engine(radiator side).

This is the "NEW" style PCV is bolted to the valve cover, that red item on the left, with zero hoses attached. Now working back from the intake I find the hose on the right which is removed from the valve cover in the pic so I could check for oil residue in the hose. That connection to the valve cover has no obvious connection to the PCV. I can only assume at this stage the galley for the PCV connection to the other end of the valve cover is internal.
But anyway thank you for your contribution to solving this mystery.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Vehicle Auto part Car

Ah Ha with the camera I see the hose your talking about, I believe. I missed this with my inspection mirror or discounted it since it goes downward and at first glance seems to go under the intake manifold. But I don't see any connection of this hose prior to the mass airflow sensor which is where on my other cars it's connected, I suppose so the MAF can account for a vacuum.

Well when we get a warm day I'll investigate further.

Thank you very much for the insight.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Here is my installation of a $25 oil catch can installed in the PCV vacuum hose. I had to add a few items from the HW store and O'Reillys Auto to complete the installation. The fancy looking hose provided was to thin walled to withstand the vacuum also I used FI hose clamps vs the suppled simple worm gear clamps since they eat up hose ends. I just attached this about 120miles and will update when I need to empty it or 5K miles whichever comes first.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts