Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2000 CRV with 281k on it has developed a strange problem. after it has sat overnight it is hard to start in the mornings. once i get it fired up it idles very rough for about 10-15 mins. during this time you can press the accelerator but all it does is die. as soon as the temp gauge starts to move the engine smooths out and runs fine the rest of the day.or if i wait until about 2pm to start it after it has sat in full sun from the previous night it will fire right up with no problems.
so far i have drained the tank,replaced the fuel pump,fuel filter,spark plugs, plug wires and coil. this has been occurring for a month now.

·
Administrator
3,297 Posts
Clean your IAC. If that or replacing it doesn't work, look to replace the coolant temp sensor.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,045 Posts
Gen1 CR-Vs with the B series engine were susceptible to burned valves if clearance was not checked/adjusted periodically. Problems are most apparent with a cold engine.

Have yours been checked every 30K miles?

You are well advised to have the valves adjusted, and do a compression and leakdown test. Your engine might need a valve job.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quick update on whats been going on with this. i pulled the coolant sensor and it to no avail. i pulled both O2 sensors and cleaned them to no avail. hooked up a scanner to the computer and figured out my check engine light is burned out and that i have a bad O2 sensor.
it was suggested it may be a bad head gasket but there is no evidence of that. i have no smoke of any kind coming from the exhaust. it uses about a quart of oil a month.my gas mileage has dropped from 28 to 22 mpg in the last two weeks and the car despises inclines. the car still hates cooler mornings but with the temps currently in the 100's that hasnt been a problem.
i have ordered both the up and downstream O2's and a coolant temp sensor. should have them by this thursday.i will post the results

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Make sure you use the Denso brand O2 sensors as Bosch O2 sensors seem to cause problems with the CRV and Ody.
That should increase your mpg and perhaps your rough idle. Don't forget about your valve lash adjustment as CarBuff2 pointed out.

Buffalo4

1 - 5 of 5 Posts