Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I've had trouble with clutch and gears in past now have juddering /power drop outs and engine light is on giving fault codes of p1298 and p1259 = eld and vtec solenoid. I've purchased both and I'm soon to fit my question is from reading the Internet and watching YouTube video's they say to pull a fuse to reset ecm and then do idle relearn! What fuse do I pull and how do I do an idle relearn please.
Simple steps cos not mechanically minded .

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
It is a 2002 EX-L 4WD 5AT in case anyone is wondering

Is the engine oil clean and at the proper level? Is the atf clean and pink and at the proper level? Do both codes come back after you reset them?

A shorted out VTEC can set the ELD code also.

Look up the Idle Relearn Procedure online. Look at the links under the Similar Threads header below.
Basically:
1. make sure all electrical items (a/c, audio, lights, etc) are off.

2. reset the ECM/PCM with the HDS. (Pulling the FI-ECU fuse or disconnecting the battery for around 15 min also does this)

3. turn the ignition switch ON (II), and wait 2 seconds.

4. Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (in park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on (some say comes on twice), or until the engine coolant temperature reaches 194 F (90 C).

5. let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle closed, ie: foot off the gas pedal.. (NOTE: if the fan comes on, do not include its running time in the 5 minutes.)
Then shut it off and you are done,

Remember, no lights (including dome light that goes on when you open a door), radio, fans etc until it is done. Sit inside with everything off and if you need a window open, open before doing the procedure. You may need someone standing outside with the hood open to tell you when the radiator fan comes on.

Basically you pull the FI ECU fuse which is in the under the hood fuse/relay box and is #6 (15A) and is on page 336 or your owners manual.
If you don't have a owners manual, you can dl one for free at: http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2002/CR-V/manuals .
OR, you can just disconnect the neg battery cable (if so, make sure you have your radio code) for around 15 min. Same with pulling the fuse. Leave it out for 15 min or so. This erases the memory in the ECU.
It is just a faster way for the ECU to relearn things, and it will do so on its own after quite some time, even without doing the relearn procedure.
ELD Replacement vid that may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYVWmQE5tDk

Hopefully someone more familiar with the two codes you mentioned will post and give you some advice. :)
Buffalo4
PS: Might try googling for more answers about both those codes happening. ie: http://www.justanswer.com/honda/0tj97-honda-2001-honda-civic-ex-two.html
PPS: Just because a code says VTEC or ELD, it doesn't mean those parts are necessarily bad. Gets expensive just replacing parts based on the code reading without testing etc. first.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. Very helpful indeed but just to correct you its a manual transmission not automatic

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Very helpful indeed but just to correct you its a manual transmission not automatic
Change your profile as it lists: 4WD EX-L 5AT. That's where I found that info.

Hopefully everything is working out.
If you post again, add a tag on the bottom that tells what yr and model your CRV is, or just put it somewhere in each post.

Buffalo4

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.