Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It moves about 0.5mm up and down while idling. I compared it to my 300,000 miles 06 Si and that one is steady like a rock.

You do have to look closely to notice and I don't feel it, I just see it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone mind comparing it to theirs? I'm exhausted of going to dealerships and test driving cars. You're looking for an up/down motion on the tach needle about 0.5mm, approximately anywhere between 20-50rpms or so. It does that pretty steadily.

Here's a video you need to have a good eye to see it...

https://flic.kr/p/TkJkJz

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'll compare to my '07 CR-V as well as my Yamaha FZ6R. I can see the movement in your video (just barely). I'm thinking that most engines do this, but just the newer sensors/gauges accurately report it to the end user. Honestly, I don't think I would have otherwise noticed or cared about such a minuscule variation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a thought, issue could be the same thing that is causing your cruise to surge.
That's not it because the car drives steady on cruise control if I press "SET". The cruise control issue is definitely a software issue with input.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll compare to my '07 CR-V as well as my Yamaha FZ6R. I can see the movement in your video (just barely). I'm thinking that most engines do this, but just the newer sensors/gauges accurately report it to the end user. Honestly, I don't think I would have otherwise noticed or cared about such a minuscule variation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I agree with you. I don't think analog can demonstrate that level of precision but maybe I'm wrong. It's extremely minimal. If each "line" is 100 rpms, it's moving about 1/5th the size of the line so approximately 20rpms.

I doubt you'll be able to see it on your cars but thanks so much for checking them out. Let me know. Obviously different cars will behave differently so best try is a 1.5T CR-V.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Wow! It’s hard to believe that your Lane Departure warning went off while driving at anywhere from 74 to 76 MPH while attempting to film a miniscule variation on your tachometer. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! It’s hard to believe that your Lane Departure warning went off while driving at anywhere from 74 to 76 MPH while attempting to film a miniscule variation on your tachometer. :rolleyes:
- Wrong thread.
- It is not a minuscule variation, it is a software bug that's significant to the long term reliability of he car for those who use cruise control on long stretches of road.
- Congratulations on assuming that I was the one holding the camera.
- No one in this forum has ever complained about Lame Departure being overactive :rolleyes:
- Unroll your eyes

·
Registered
45 Posts
I feel the vibration at idle in the arm rest. I've only got 670 miles, hope it will get be once it breaks in. I've not looked at the tachometer but will later today to see any movement.

·
Registered
284 Posts
this can be CRV tach is showing accurate reading of the rpm.
Back in the analog days, tach needle is always steady but when you look at OBD reading on the RPM it's jumping +/- 50rpm. With s2k digital tach it's away in increment of 100s but seem to be too "smooth"/animated on reading. If what you have discovered is true, not a bug, CRV is showing 1s or 10s rpm thru it's tach and that should be consider awesome!!!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I feel the vibration at idle in the arm rest. I've only got 670 miles, hope it will get be once it breaks in. I've not looked at the tachometer but will later today to see any movement.
If you are just feeling regular idle vibration more than you'd expect, it's probably the load from the A/C compressor. Garoto is not talking about vibration at idle, he's talking about variation in idle speed that he sees on the tach, but does not feel.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Does anyone mind comparing it to theirs? I'm exhausted of going to dealerships and test driving cars. You're looking for an up/down motion on the tach needle about 0.5mm, approximately anywhere between 20-50rpms or so. It does that pretty steadily.

Here's a video you need to have a good eye to see it...

https://flic.kr/p/TkJkJz
I'm not seeing it in that video. I think it's more that the tach is SO large (as in, if you wrapped it into a circle, it would be a huge gauge) and apparently pretty precise, that what you are seeing what is perfectly normal variation in idle speed. My best guess is that it's the mix being continually adjusted due to output from your pre-cat O2 sensor. If you can barely see it on the gauge, and not feel it at all, I think it's much ado about nothing.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've got to be honest - I watched the video and couldn't see anything.
I don't blame you. It is very very hard to see. Honestly I don't know/think that there's an issue. Maybe Honda is just displaying every little detail in the tach without dampening anything out of the user's prescence which I'm fine with. Just a guess.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
this can be CRV tach is showing accurate reading of the rpm.
Back in the analog days, tach needle is always steady but when you look at OBD reading on the RPM it's jumping +/- 50rpm. With s2k digital tach it's away in increment of 100s but seem to be too "smooth"/animated on reading. If what you have discovered is true, not a bug, CRV is showing 1s or 10s rpm thru it's tach and that should be consider awesome!!!
I agree with you very much. Man, since this tach is digital it would've been awesome if Honda had offered different "styles" of tach - the s2k one being one of them. Of course matching the CR-V coloring. I think it's silly to have a digital tach mimicking an analog one, skeumorphism. Digital should be digital. The s2000's is nice, no needle or "needle".

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not seeing it in that video. I think it's more that the tach is SO large (as in, if you wrapped it into a circle, it would be a huge gauge) and apparently pretty precise, that what you are seeing what is perfectly normal variation in idle speed. My best guess is that it's the mix being continually adjusted due to output from your pre-cat O2 sensor. If you can barely see it on the gauge, and not feel it at all, I think it's much ado about nothing.
I agree with you. It's moving about 1/10th the size of the line. Each line is 100rpms, so that's about 10rpms. I have a crazy sensitive vision I really do. Which is good and bad.

I do think it's just being precise. I don't feel any abnormality at all.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I've got to be honest - I watched the video and couldn't see anything.
Actually it is there if you look closely. But to be honest, having looked at maybe thousands of cars in 44 years, that is not a problem. Engines do vary in idle speed. There are several systems that try to smooth out the speed as it does fluctuate and the computer constantl tries to correct it. The first mode of adjustment is normally spark timing. The computer can quickly change the amount of advance and make small corrections to the speed. For larger variations you can use the IAC (Idle air control) or on a vehicle with a stepper motor throttle place you just move the throatle a bit. This method is less desirable for small corrections as its slower and not as refined as the timing method.

What I see in that video does not seem excessive to a professional eye. Engines have small load changes all the time as the load on them changes from things like the charging system picking up an electrical load or the A/C system cycling, etc. If you are really anal and focus on this you will detect it. I know, I have made hundreds of recordings of it during training classes to demonstrate this. The level that I see in the video seems OK for an idling engine. The engine is not "hunting" and is pretty even in its speed. I would not worry about this in my car as I am so use to seeing it and understand that its not a problem. Note that on some vehicles the gauges are "dampened" to slow down their responses so they don't show you this. What you don't know won't bother you as they say. But take some time and listen closely to some engines at idle, you will hear this minor variation in speed and load on most engines.

I am not foo-foo the OP but I would not lose any sleep over this at all. My CR-V does the same thing if I sit and stare at it but I know its perfectly normal and a non-issue.

As for variations in the cruise...sort of the same thing. If you start looking too hard you will find out that they are not 100% steady. They "respond" and by design there is a bit of a lag to avoid a jerking feeling. I have not driven the car reference to know if the variation is normal or not. I know my V does have a little variation but it is small and a normal reaction to hose changing loads I mentioned before. I don't worry about it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts