Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
For an internal combustion engine car, some vibration is normal.

I'm guessing you've heard about the issue on 2015s CVT?

Sometimes hearing that you have an issue makes you ultra sensitive.

I'd be really surprised if Honda hasn't addressed this issue for their all new 2017s especially when they had a fix for it on their 2015s.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I notice when idling at a stoplight, I can feel noticeable vibration. Is that normal? Also what is the normal resting rpm? Mine is at 75.
75 is much too low - are you sure?

For an internal combustion engine car, some vibration is normal.

I'm guessing you've heard about the issue on 2015s CVT?

Sometimes hearing that you have an issue makes you ultra sensitive.

I'd be really surprised if Honda hasn't addressed this issue for their all new 2017s especially when they had a fix for it on their 2015s.
I'm not surprised AT ALL - Honda is obsessed with the bottom line - first rule of Honda Club: never purchase a Honda in its first year of production (FMC vehicles; see early production 2016 Pilot lemons)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I drove a Touring awd this AM and there is definitely a noticeable vibration at idle. I played around quite a bit and it is only present while stopped and in drive. It was very noticeable in the drivers seat, door and center console armrest. Nothing in the steering wheel.

I sat in another Touring and an EX and they all had that behavior. When started cold, idle was ~1K rpm and very smooth. Once warmed up and idle dropped to 750, the vibration started.

Smooth as silk while driving around though.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Sure hope this isn't a problem related to the AWD system, although at idle it shouldn't matter if the vehicle is FWD or AWD.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a FWD EX-L Nav and have noticed a bit of idle vibration on cold mornings, but otherwise it's been fine.

This is Florida so cold mornings means under 50F.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hmmm. I wonder if these differences are due to people having different baselines.

On my Touring AWD, when at idle or stopped (say at a traffic light), I can feel a minor vibration in the driver's headrest (if I put my head back) and on the center console (via my elbow). It has been consistent and does not become better or worse (so far). When I say minor vibration, I mean movement compared to being at a dead stop with the engine off.

wmhjr, when you say your EX-L has no vibration, do you mean that, when stopped, if you closed your eyes (and ears) you could not tell the car was running? Or do you mean no vibration other that what you would expect? Can you feel *any* engine/transmission movement through the driver's headrest or center console?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well, I'd say it's probably a different baseline. There is no vehicle I've ever been in over my entire 5 plus decades of life that I can't detect whether it's "running" or not - except for a Tesla model S, and a couple hybrids. That includes the BMWs and Mercedes I've owned - in that while many of them were incredibly smooth, I can absolutely feel the difference between them being shut down, and the engine running.

I would classify the CR-V as not having vibration in the same way. To me, it feels completely ordinary, reasonable and what I would expect.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It's there and it's pretty bad. I leaned my head against the door piller reaching for change from a drive through and it vibrated the heck out of me. Definitely not normal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Still a problem?

I know this thread is a year old, but I'd like to know if Poolmom, Fat Mike & Ulieq ever got any resolution?
I have just purchased a 2018 CR-V EX and there is significant vibration. Through the seat it is noticeable but not bad, through the center console it is very noticeable - enough to be an annoyance.
Enough that I don't like to rest my arm on the console when stopped at a light. I have carpal tunnel in both wrists and vibration aggravates it.
Other than that I really like the car, but I don't think I can tolerate the vibration for the next 10 years, which is how long I usually keep a car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same vibration in my '17 with 13K miles. The dealership performed an idle reset and cleaned out the throttle body from carbon deposits. That reduced the vibration significantly under the seat. But it's still in the center console and doors while in D at a stoplight. But it's manageable. Smooth as butter on the highway though. My car idles at 700-800 after it's warmed up. That's the problem. So I keep it moving as much as possible, crawling my way to a stop.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I drove a Touring awd this AM and there is definitely a noticeable vibration at idle. I played around quite a bit and it is only present while stopped and in drive. It was very noticeable in the drivers seat, door and center console armrest. Nothing in the steering wheel.

I sat in another Touring and an EX and they all had that behavior. When started cold, idle was ~1K rpm and very smooth. Once warmed up and idle dropped to 750, the vibration started.

Smooth as silk while driving around though.
I have the same issue with my 2018 CRV turbo. Went to dealer and checked 2 other 2018 crv's. They had similar vibration. The engine does smooth out as soon as I give it some gas. Vibration is present at 750 RPM then smooths out approaching 1000 RPM.

Can the dealer increase the idle speed to avoid this? Does it require a reprogramming of some computer?

·
Registered
154 Posts

Can the dealer increase the idle speed to avoid this? Does it require a reprogramming of some computer?
Not sure that would be a great idea. Higher than designed idle speed would put added stress on the transmission clutch pack(s)?, torque converter, and brakes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not sure that would be a great idea. Higher than designed idle speed would put added stress on the transmission clutch pack(s), torque converter, and brakes.
That makes sense. So I gather there is no fix for this? I am just going to have to live with it?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts