Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2014 CR-V EX-L with 88,900 miles. I've had it for about 4 months with no issues. Just recently I started getting that frying bacon sound when the ignition is engaged. I back off, re-ingage, and she starts right up. This happens about every 5th or 6th time I go to start up, and it doesn't seem to be getting more frequent.

Any thoughts? Battery is relatively new.

·
Administrator
3,339 Posts
I'm going to suspect a faulty relay or solenoid in the circuit to the starter from the ignition switch.

·
Registered
573 Posts
My 2007 does exactly the same thing. Bacon frying is a very good description of the sound. It use to bother me a lot like turning the key was harming something. This has been going on for years. I tried to show it to my mechanic but of course it only happens when I am not at his garage. I've decided not to worry about it.

If you figure out what is creating that sound please share it with me. Thanks!

·
2,196 Posts
I would try to isolate where that sound is coming from. If you can get someone to operate the key while you look under the hood, do that. If the sound is coming from under the dash, around the steering column, that would indicate a possible problem with the ignition switch. Under the hood, I would first listen near the under-hood fuse box, with the lid off. A sound there would indicate it's a relay. If the sound is coming from around the battery, it could be a battery cable. If it's coming from under the intake manifold at the front of the engine, that would indicate a problem with either the starter or starter solenoid or a cable/wire. If none of those, listen near the alternator. If you can find the sound, it will go a long way towards isolating the problem. Wear eye protection and be careful not to touch anything or put your hands anywhere near areas where there are moving parts when the engine is running or key is on (fans, belts). Let us know.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Hearing that noise when turning the key on can mean a few things.

First off, can simply be your fuel pump. Lost pressure when sitting so your hearing it prime, pump is under back seat area so can be sometimes heard from the driver's seat. And this won't always happen. The longer it sits the better the chance. And it's absolutely nothing to worry about.

Next is going to be ignition switch or electrical in the dash behind the panel. Either an electrical short (bad) or just a bad occasional connection which is why it sometimes doesn't start as expected.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
2,196 Posts
It has never been the sound of frying bacon, but the smell of it, for me. The only smell that can rival it is coffee. Conversely, the smell of frying electricals in a car, not so much. But it can be another clue to lead you to the cause of an issue like this, aside from just the sound. So, moving around the car, with the hood up, and smelling as well as listening, for clues, can help. At any rate, the sound and/or smell of an electrical issue can be just as distinctive. A loose battery cable, or a short where a bare wire is touching metal and grounding/shorting, will make that sound. A cooking relay too, as well as the starter itself or the starter solenoid, or the alternator. The third giveaway is heat. While not always noticeable, any electrical component sizzling will be generating heat. On a cold engine, if you turn the key on and hear the noise. note how long it makes the noise. Then, under the hood, check to see if any of the relays is hot. Then the battery terminals and cables. Be careful, as the higher the voltage, the hotter it can get. If something is sizzling enough to generate heat, there will also be a smell. Don't burn yourself!

When all else fails, a trip to your local alternator/starter shop can help. I have one nearby, and the last time I went down there, they had a test cart on wheels. They hooked it up, ran the tests, and in under five minutes diagnosed the exact problem. I pretty much already knew it was my alternator that time, and they verified that. Bad diodes. It was old. But, in the process, they also load tested the starter, checked the solenoid, the relays, the cables, ignition switch, etc. All these components also affect each other. A bad alternator can burn up a battery and a starter, etc. A starter drawing too many amps can ruin a battery and an alternator. And so on. A bad or worn ignition switch can cause all sorts of issues, as Tigris says. Each component in the ignition system can affect the others, from a relay on, as Rocky said. Some of these issues should generate a code. I highly recommend a trip to the shop. The alternative is to let it run its course, in which case you could get stranded. With my luck, I'd be sitting in a parking lot, in the dark, in a blizzard or the pouring rain, in the middle of the night (I worked nights), with dead flashlight batteries, no tools, and evil lurking nearby (Hey, it is almost Halloween!). Who am I gonna call then? :giggle: Just kidding. But a breakdown is never convenient or timely, and always ends up more expensive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently bought a 2014 CR-V EX-L with 88,900 miles. I've had it for about 4 months with no issues. Just recently I started getting that frying bacon sound when the ignition is engaged. I back off, re-ingage, and she starts right up. This happens about every 5th or 6th time I go to start up, and it doesn't seem to be getting more frequent.

Any thoughts? Battery is relatively new.
Pay close attention as to where the sizzling sound is coming from. If it sounds like it is coming from the steering column, could very likely be the ignition switch module that is arcing. The ignition switch module replacement is relatively simple and the Honda replacement can be had for under $50. Honda Part #35130-TR0-A01. Hope this helps you out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts