Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I am the happy owner of a 2011 CR-v. The ignition lock cylinder failed and I could not turn the ignition to start the car. I had the ignition switch replaced at the Honda dealership. The new key has no function buttons on it and my old key fob will not work now. Why? how do I get my power door lock function back. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
...replaced at the Honda dealership. The new key has no function buttons on it and my old key fob will not work now. Why? how do I get my power door lock function back.
I'd go back to the Dealer and ask them why it isn't working, and insist they fix it.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
The new key has no function buttons on it and my old key fob will not work now.
Wait, they replaced your key and gave you one without the remote functions? That isn't right. That almost sounds like you got a valet key.

If they had replaced only the ignition switch, you would still be able to use the old key. It sounds like they also installed a new lock cylinder in the column. It's odd they would replace both.

They definitely need to make it right.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Too late for you but the correct fix for a non functioning ignition switch is a vehicle locksmith (had this issue on my '07 Ridgeline).

The locksmith fixed the ignition and all is well - only $85.00.

The dealership wanted $500+ and had to do the new key thing.

Definitely go back to the dealer and demand that they fix it!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Did something stupid here, but learned a little about the process.

My daughter had an issue at school where her car keys were misplaced. (Turns out that they were turned in to Security, but they had a couple of employees who were too lazy to look, and never "found" them; a manager finally acknowledge her keys were indeed turned in, but they were there with dozens of other lost sets...weeks after the fact.)

I had to call a locksmith to meet us down in the parking garage. He had to break into the Accord (setting off the alarm), then he started removing the lock cylinder from the glove compartment. It occurred to me that he was using the pins from that cylinder to cut a new key. And he had the programmer to program the immobilizer. So it got her back on the road, not too cheaply. But we did get a spare key out of it.

The stupid part? We both have AAA. They would have covered part of the locksmith fees... ? Only we were too concerned with just getting back into the car that we both totally forgot about it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you for the many replies. I feel and it was expressed in the replies that the Honda dealer did not do a proper job even after I paid over $1,000. From the replies and after researching I found the new key and or ignition switch was programmed to the engine computer so the immobilizer would work properly and this deactivated my old remote/key. after watching a Youtube video I learned the process of activeating a remote by turning the ignition on and off while pressing the remote lock button. I think this video was to help activate a new aftermarket key. So by turning my new key with no remote and pressing my old key/remote the old remote is active again. i still need this key to operate the drivers door lock cylinder which was not changed so pretty much back to normal. Thanks again for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts