Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If all goes well, by this time tomorrow I'll be the proud owner of a 2017 Touring AWD.

Getting here has been a whirlwind and has been a very short turnaround. I've been set on buying a Ford Escape for months, with the CR-V and Subaru Forester (and to a lesser extent the Outback, due to it being well past the high side of my budget.) being my other considerations. And I'll admit I didn't really give the CR-V a fair shot early on for whatever reason...it was just something that kept coming up in the discussion. Well, about 3 weeks ago a friend said I should really consider the CR-V, so I finally decided to give it a fair shake. Well, fast forward to today...and here I am about to be a Honda owner. I've been a GM owner all my life, so either Ford or Honda was gonna be a new experience for me.

So, I'm just looking for advice, both for tomorrow and for "how to be a good Honda owner" going forward. Obviously, this site has a wealth of information and I'm reading more and more by the day.

For tomorrow....well I think I have a pretty good price from what my research tells me. (I learned real quick that Honda doesn't discount much which took some adjustment) I'm prepared to NOT buy an extended warranty, although I still may via one of the more aggressive HondaCare dealers mentioned in this thread: "Honda Care Service Contract (best deal?) for new 2017 CRV Touring AWD" . (won't let me post the link) Other than that....what else should I expect? Any "upsale" items are probably a moot point, as I'm already several thousand over what I was planning to spend on an Escape, and about $1500 past my "absolute drop dead" budget number. But I would like to know what will be thrown at me. Will the process take forever or are they pretty good about getting things moving? Financing is taken care of, already have insurance covered. I'm thinking we'll have to work on the secret Honda handshake ;) and hopefully I'll be on my way?

Moving forward, besides this forum what are some things I should do or know about? Someone mentioned the My Honda site...I assume that is somewhat a no-brainer for tracking everything and keeping plugged into the Honda collective. I'm pretty decent with servicing vehicles and small repairs (which hopefully won't be any time soon) but of course Honda is a different animal than GM--and also I don't have the time and tools I've had historically--so that throws a wrench in things. (no pun intended) I have been referred to a good/reasonably-priced Honda mechanic by a friend so I have that resource. Anyway, any words of wisdom are appreciated.

Well, thanks and wish me luck!

Doug

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hopefully you'll have the same experience I've had with my CR-V. It's a 2011, bought new, and it now has 105,000 miles on it. With the exception of a couple of warranty recalls, it has never been in the shop for any kind of repair... just put in oil & gas and go. I fully expect to get over 200,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
hope it all turns out well for you
i would say, besides the ext warranty stuff you mentioned, be prepared to be handed a booklet of add ons, everything from gap insurance to tire rotation serveries

If you are not financing through honda (or even if you are) i would look into gap insurance elsewhere (prob cheaper)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
My dealer and many others provide two years (4) oil changes and 2 tire rotations in the first two years included in the new car purchase. You may request the Honda all weather floor mats and cargo mat to cinch the deal, or another accessory that you like. Bring the request up early in the process!

Extended warranties are a roll of the dice. Honda Care is the best and prices vary depending on your selection of coverage terms. Chances are very good you would not ever use it, but to buy or not depends if you want to assume the risk or the extended care insurance. Yes, I have the Honda Care.

Gap insurance is only necessary if you are upside down with your trade and balance owed if any on that besides your new car purchase cost.

Wishing you the best in your new car purchase. You will love the CR-V more everyday. They are a joy to drive and own. And, welcome to the forum!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts